PDA

View Full Version : FGMM Lockheed Vega

wag
03-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Now that I've finished the (very) long term project that was occupying my bench I can join the party. I'd like to build Amelia's Lockheed Vega as improved stock. Basically pure stock but using some hobby shop wheels instead of the kit-supplied ones.
Wayne

papermodelfan
03-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh Goody. This is the bright red plane that I fly around in in my dreams. Looking forward to the build.

Paperwarrior
03-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I had hopes that someone would take this one on. Glad to see it is you, Wag. These aircraft from the 30s are quite interesting. I look forward to your build.

jobeaux
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I printed this one out when it was released and plan to build it soon. Looking forward to your build of it!

bob martin
03-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Great Choice:D I built this one when it came out and added clear windows. I want to go back to it and do the detailed engine as well. Looking forward to your build;)

wag
03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I have to apologise for my lack of progress. It's been 70+ degrees the last few days which is very welcome after a Minnesota winter.:D Anyway since Bob mentioned the engine I thought I would start there. The lower engine in the photo is the same engine plate seen in most FG models with a radial engine. Very simple,very easy and it doesn't look bad at all. The middle engine is also a 2-d cutout but with optional pushrods and I rolled the cylinders for a 3-d effect. The top engine is the full 3-d engine. It's great to have choices! I think I'm going with the middle one-it captures the look of a Pratt & Whitney beautifully.

wag
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
If the pace is continental drift. I carved some balsa cores for the tail. The text suggests 3/16" but I had 1/8" handy and I don't think I would want to go any thicker than that. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the fuselage later this afternoon.
Wayne

KCStephens
04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Very nice! I really like your choice of engine option. Also the semi-glossy paper looks nice too. I look forward to seeing more as you progress.

Alcides
04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I've to say if I build the 3d engine this one goes to the plane! Very nice build. Keep the good work.

wag
04-05-2010, 03:07 PM
After a HUGE easter dinner I sat down and did some model building. The fuselage went together with no major problems. The wings on the other hand... the instructions have you glue the wing skins together and then form to shape. I could not make this work. I ended up forming the center section and outer sections then bringing them together. I also noticed a small error in the registration #s. The ones on the wings are correct but the ones on the rudder are not. Kind of embarassing to only notice this 3/4 of the way thru the build. I have to give kudos to FG though-I e-mailed them late sunday night and they have already corrected the problem. If you want to build this one make sure you download the latest version.
Wayne

Wyvern
04-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Looking good!

Wyvern

wag
04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Landing gear,wheel pants,prop,pitot tube and tail skid were the final parts added. The flame damping exhausts provided were unique to Amelia's bird and only after the flight across the Atlantic in 1932. I just rolled some tubes and colored them steel to represent the "stock" exhaust stacks. The cartoon of Amelia is not to scale with the airplane-I printed her at 75% and it looks ok to me.
Wayne

Alcides
04-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks very nice. Do you use a bright paper to the model ? The plane shines really.

The cartoon looks very pale in comparison. My only observation could be you've to paint the paper borders in the pants and struts they can be seen in the picture.

Can you post picture from rear, please ?

wag
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
I did print the airplane on photo paper simply because the red looked awful printed on cardstock. I actually did color the edges on the wheel pants but I didn't get the edges to fit at all,so some white did show through. This is one I will definitly re-visit in the future.
Wayne

Alcides
04-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the picture. Your model looks very good from this angle and I've to repeat it: you election of bright paper was a very good decision.

I was afraid from the FG design trowing away the shape of fuselage but it looks very nice.

papermodelfan
04-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Looks really slick. Nice build! I like the paper effect - what sort of photo paper was this that you printed it on? It seems to have taken all the curves very nicely.

bob martin
04-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Very nice Wayne:D Photo paper was a good choice.:) I did it on regular card stock and I can clearly see the difference:eek: Looks great.;)

wag
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
You guys are far too kind. The paper I used is Kodak brand gloss photo paper. It was actually the cheapest photo paper they had at the local Office Depot store. It's listed at 48 lb so it's about halfway between copy paper and 65 lb cardstock.
Wayne

Don Boose
04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Excellent, Wayne! I look forward to trying myhand at this one, and the recently released Sirius once I am able to resume model building.

Don

gomidefilho
04-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Excellent build! This Vega is on my to do list build...