PDA

View Full Version : Whoohoo

rickstef
12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
Ok, so I am channeling Homer.

But I have reason to do so.

As some of you know, I am a Cartographer by trade, making maps and working with spatial data.

Well, one of the more prestigious pieces of paper one in my field can get is a certification for GIS-P Geographic Information Systems Professional.

All I had to do is fill out the application, send in some money, and wait til they approved or denied me, well they approved me.

Putting in the hours at the City finally paid off for something.

It might not mean alot to most of you, but to those who know me best, this is something I have wanted for sometime.

Thanks for letting me pound my chest for a bit.

Rick

John Bowden
12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Congratulations Rick!

Nothing smells better then success...........well except Napalm in the morning, it smell like victory!

P.S.

Chanelling Homer in this situation is OK, now you deserve some Hmmmmmmm Choc-leett!

Paperbeam
12-04-2007, 12:18 PM
That's great news Rick!:D

So what exactly does an exalted GIS-P Geographic Information Systems Professional do?

Is that something to do with GPS and satellites or what?

Way to go!

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com

rickstef
12-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Terry,

Those are sources of data for me

I make maps, Cartography if you will.

what I do? not a whole lot, make maps, make more maps, and make even more maps.

Rick

Gharbad
12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
I always liked maps :D

Congrats!

member_3
12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Bravo Zulu! Maps are an old love of mine (throw away the National Geographic magazine but keep the maps - no, I kept the magazines too!) Cartography seems to be part science, part art and a little bit of magic to me. Well done!

Paperbeam
12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Rick:

Well, yeah, I do know what Cartography is!:rolleyes:

Specifically, this is closer to the answer I was seeking:

"A geographic information system (GIS), also known as a geographical information system or geospatial information system, is a system for capturing, storing, analyzing and managing data and associated attributes which are spatially referenced to the Earth."

(From Wikipedia.org)

Apparently you're now qualified for at least an $8,000/yr. raise...:D

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com

rickstef
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
i wish that was true

doubt that will happen though

but it is a nice thought that gives me the warm fuzzies all over

Rick

Clashster
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Congrats, Rick! I may not understand what it is, but I understand Homer! WoooHooo! and Dooouuuggghhhhnnutttsss....

TheWebdude
12-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Congrats BRO!!

I know you've been wanting this awhile!

You deserve it!

rickstef
12-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys,

This certification is not unlike a PE, Professional Engineer, or PLS, Professional Land Surveyor.
I get to put the alphabet soup behind my name, but I don't get a fancy stamp or anything like that to emboss a map or other print out.

I didn't need it for my position, wasn't even in exsistance when I was hired, and I was the only one who was aware of talk about the certification process.

in 5 years I get to recertify, but we will see what is needed then.

but for now I am gonna enjoy the fact that I can hang with those PE, PLS and others who have that type of alfa soup.

Rick

CMDRTED
12-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Congrats Rick! Any progessional achievment is worthy of a Duff Beeeeeeeerrrrr!

Zathros
12-05-2007, 09:45 AM
The world really is round!! ("What goes around, comes around...."). Congratulations!!

Don Boose
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Congratulations Rick! Maps are wonderful things. One of my best buddies in the late 1940s was the son of Lloyd A. Brown, who wrote "The Story of Maps" (which is still in print, I think). I loved visiting their house.

I've also had great support in the past from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) -- formerly the Defense Mapping Agency -- which usually sends one of their number as a student to the Army War College each year.

Best wishes for continuing success in this wonderful field.

Don (I think north is supposed to be at the top.) B.

Gil
12-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Rick,

Grats! Now you are one.

Joshing aside, receiving professional certification is always a great ego-morale booster. The next big hurdle is channeling it into a monetary return, an extremely difficult thing to do in municipal governments.

+Gil

Ashrunner
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Congrats Rick! Now all you need is a beard 8v)

rickstef
12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
tried the beard thing, didn't like it, and its not me

Kaz
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Well done Rick, I had no idea what you did, but now I do. Funnily enough, I had been searching for the film Map of the Human Heart this last week, not found it yet....

Barry
12-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Good for you Rick er Sir

Phil
12-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Congratulations Rick!!
It's great to be important...but we can still abuse you, right?;)

rickstef
12-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Sure Phil

I will abuse right back

Lex
12-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Congratulations on the professional achievement ^^ That proves people can excel in both their professions and hobbies at the same time ;)

Sakrison
12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Ok, so I am channeling Homer.
I thought you were talking about the Greek poet. It must be a Monday.

Those of us who have paid our dues the hard way accord you full bragging rights. Make the most of them.

Whoohoo!
--David

Don Boose
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
David -- Thanks for the clarification. I've been trying for days to figure out when Odysseus said "Whoohoo." I thought maybe it was when he was with the Sirens, but I think that was "Cowabunga!" and somebody else said it.

Doh.

Don

rickstef
12-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks David

It does feel good

I am not that deep that I would be reading Homer and the Iliad
The Simpsons are more my style

Rick

cardmodeler
12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Hello, Rick, and congrats on your achievement! I broke down and took an exam last year that I have been putting off for some time(mostly because I was too lazy/tired/would rather build models, etc. to study for it). But I took it and passed and feel much better for it.

I was wondering if you could tell me where you got the kits of the WWII US paratrooper and the German soldier you built? Do you know if they are still available? Any info would be much appreciated.

rickstef
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
yes they should still be available

check with Jimbo over at www.papermodelworld.net (http://www.papermodelworld.net)

Rick

cardmodeler
12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the link, Rick! I just ordered the US soldier from Jimbo. The pictures of your build were the deciding factor. You did a great job.