PDA

View Full Version : 1/72 M60A3 in Red Desert MERDC-Camo

Boll51
04-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi

I´ve startet a new Design. It´s the M60A3 from
Y's Paper Modelworkshop / Models by Visiters (http://www.terra.dti.ne.jp/~yoshidom/index.html).
I´ve tried to contact Mr. Satoshi Yoshioka by Mail, but I have no luck.

So, if there any Problems with the copyrights when I gave the Sheets for free, please tell me.

Boll51

Thewitness
04-12-2010, 06:34 AM
A great idea. I tried also to have the coloured sheets from Yashioka, (since 2005 ! ) with no results. I tried to paint his files, but that work is far beyond my technical ability...so Your work is really welcome! Really I hope to see more in the next times.

Problems with the copyrights: I would be happy to pay, just tell me how!!!

marksolo
04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey good job. Thanks for sharing the colored version.

Zakopious
04-12-2010, 04:31 PM
It would be appropriate to put a credit on the model sheets.

Something like, "Original white model by Satoshi Yoshioka."

Boll51
04-13-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Zakopious

>It would be appropriate to put a credit on the model sheets.

>Something like, "Original white model by Satoshi Yoshioka."

I think, this is a good idea. When i will release the final sheet, i will put it on.

Boll51

Boll51
04-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Hi

Work is in progress. Here you can see the next steps.

Boll51

panzerbeto
04-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi Boll51

I have myself tried several ways to colour Yoshiokas models with very poor results, mainly due to grey edges between the filling color and the black outline. I did try to contact him long time ago with simmilar results. I think he is a Graphics design artist and has moved on from small "toys" to become an ilustrator. You can try to contact him on this page: Blog Archive Artist’s Nation: Guest #2 Satoshi Yoshioka (http://illminded.project-panda.net/news/?p=1829)

Could you make a mini-tutorial on which program you use and what tweaks yo do to the original files to allow for sharp coloring and lines?

Very nice work on the M-60

Panzerbeto

Boll51
04-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Hi Panzerbeto

There is not so much to write. I´m using some pictures from the internet to find out how the original tank looks and then I try to rebuild this in the model. I only use Gimp 2.6.8 for my work and I only got an Notebook with a 14 (inch)? Display.

I zoom the original sheet to 400%, delete the unused interrupted lines and change the interupted lines from the connection pieces in complete black lines. Then, I fill the connection pieces (I don´t know how this is called in english) with a lightblue color. After that i fill the model with the maincolor and paint the camouflage lines with the smalest pencil i can use in Gimp.
And then i fill the paintet areas to the color i need.
The stars and "US ARMY" signing is taken from a phote, scaled down and repainted to white color.

So, that´s it. The only problem is, that you need much time to create a model.

For the coloring of the M60 i use this pictures.

PS: Same procedure for the STRV 103 in my other post.

Gruß

Boll51

leclerc
04-26-2010, 10:44 PM
@boll51
Do you use the same scale 1:72 for this new colored version ? Or do you use other scale?

Boll51
04-27-2010, 03:52 AM
Hi leclerc

I use scale 1/72 for all of my models. Its the right scale for my diorama boxes and my toy soldiers.

Boll51

Boll51
05-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Hi

I´ve done some updates on the sheets. When i´m ready with sheet 2, I start the testbuild. In the moment i´m building the s-tank from my other post.

Boll51

DrLaser
05-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Excellent - I really like your clean designs, and in 1/72 scale. I'm going to try to build this in time to display at the Army Heritage Day next week in PA. But what are those black rectangles? I'm guessing the small black rectangle is for a machine gun, but what is the larger one for?

jimkrauzlis
05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Very nice work, Boll51!

Can't wait to see the test build.

Cheers!
Jim

Boll51
05-07-2010, 01:08 AM
Hi John

I don´t know, wich rectangles you mean. The black ones on the tank should display the angle mirrors (in german = Winkelspiegel) and some small windows on the MG-Tower, but i have no good idea to design them realistical.

And the little rectangles at the end of the Gunners Door are hinges. (Still in work)

Boll51

DrLaser
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Here's what I mean . . .

Boll51
05-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi John

The big one is the turretring for the main turret. The small one is the turretring for the Commanders MG Turret. I don't know if they are in right dimensions because i haven't build the testmodel.

The bottom of the turrets should be cut out and the turretring must be placed inside the turrets.

Boll51

DrLaser
05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
BOLL51,

After building the chassis and turret, I found the turret bottom had fit problems and was overly complex in construction. May I suggest a simpler design:

The turret ring outline matches the chassis's and the black rectangle is the correctly sized turret ring.

The model is looking very nice, will get you a picture tomorrow.

Boll51
05-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Hi John

That's looking good. Maybe it can be an opinion to put both turrets on the final sheet.
I've startet to build a testmodel yesterday and found some errors on the camo wich i will fix soon.

Boll51

DrLaser
05-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Overall your design is excellent. Here is where I am in my build.450544505545056

The gunners cupola does have problems - the top and bottom don't match.

KCStephens
05-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Boll51,

Today I saw John's build of your design upclose live and in person. It's a very impressive model. I can't wait to build one for myself. Great job!

Boll51
05-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi

Cool, I´m happy to hear that. I hope, that John is able to post some photos soon.
I´ve done some changes for a better look but it will take a bit of time to finish the model. I plan to add camo for the wheels and the sides of the tank also.

Here is, what i´ve done so far.

Boll51

Boll51
07-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Hi

Today I´ve finished coloring the M60. Next step is to do a beta-build to fix possible errors.

Here are the actual sheets.

Boll51

Don Boose
07-29-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm not sure how I missed this thread. It's good to see one of Y's tanks being refined and colored with due credit to the original designer. I enjoyed reading the discussion with DrLaser and seeing his build. You have done a fine job on the repaint and refinement and this looks like a terrific little model. Although my interests lie more with the interwar and early WWII period of U.S., British, and Japanese armor, I don't think I can resist trying this one once it becomes available.

Don

jimkrauzlis
07-29-2010, 06:03 AM
Really nice job in recoloring!

I hope the beta build works out well for you.

Thanks for sharing your efforts with us!

Cheers!
Jim

Doubting Thomas
08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Boll,

I applaud your efforts to improve Mr. Yoshioka's models.
The broken lines are called "Dashed Lines" in English.
They are used to identify where to fold the model part.

I have the colored type 90 main battle tank, but have not
tried assembling it yet.

He also did a late WWII war "Jumbo" Sherman tank which
is not on his website.