PDA

View Full Version : How to Hand Draw Cones

mbauer
04-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi Everyone,

A long time ago when starting to design, there was a book that helped me create cones (sheet metal design from along time ago).

I redrew one of the illustrations. Step by step instructions was created/added.

Using this method is how I create cones in AutoCAD using 2D vs, 3D.

I hope it helps other designers who draw by hand or 2D.

PDF is drawing that I created in AutoCAD for future reference. Feel free to use and share as you would like.

Mike

Rick Thomson
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
I find this site helpful.

ConeCalc (http://i-logic.com/conecalc.htm)

Cloud_Ratha
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
This is exactly what I needed!!

Thanks mbauer!

bagpiper
04-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for this information guys. Very handy

Jim

mbauer
04-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi Rick,

Thank you! Very useful sight-it does half cones! Great for engine inlets!

Thank you once again!

Mike

mbauer
04-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi Cloud Ratha & Bagpiper,

You're welcome! Hope it helps with design issues, it sure has helped me!

Mike

Cloud_Ratha
04-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Well I must have something wrong...

How do you draw OC? How do you know what angle it branches off from O.
The instructions are not that clear for me...

mbauer
04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Hi Cloud,

Points A to B would be the diameter of the fuselage or rocket shell tube.

Step 4. You have to multiply the distance from A to point B x 3.14 = Arc Length.

Example would be - if A to B is 2 then 2 x 3.14 =6.28.

Now step 5 says to Cut a string or wire this length (6.28). Start at Point B use the string and trace around your arc created in step 3. Where it ends mark the Arc, this is point C.

Now just draw a line from C to O.

Does this help?

Mike

Werner Smuts
04-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Hey thanks.... Very helpful!

Cloud_Ratha
04-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Hi Cloud,

Points A to B would be the diameter of the fuselage or rocket shell tube.

Step 4. You have to multiply the distance from A to point B x 3.14 = Arc Length.

Example would be - if A to B is 2 then 2 x 3.14 =6.28.

Now step 5 says to Cut a string or wire this length (6.28). Start at Point B use the string and trace around your arc created in step 3. Where it ends mark the Arc, this is point C.

Now just draw a line from C to O.

Does this help?

Mike

Thanks mike,
Makes a lot more sense now.

I understood up until cutting the string.
Just didn know what to do with it.

now back to measuring :P

mbauer
04-22-2010, 09:21 AM
You're welcome! Any more questions? Just ask.

I've done this so much that it comes as second nature to me, but it those little steps that sometimes slip by...

Are you designing without a computer? Or are you doing this in a drawing program?

Mike

Maltedfalcon
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Pretty cool but I am lazy.
I use Cone by J J van Der Sande a program that was created for making transitions for exhaust pipes. but I have used for paper modeling for years.
Cone*Layout - Product (http://pulserate.com/)

It is incredibly easy and accurate (free for 21 days, then is 30$ or so to unlock,
well worth the money. (especially if you are doing a model with multiple transitions.)

There is a minor hoop to jump through.
you set the page size in cone to 8.5x11 and create your cone it as an .eps file. in paint shop pro you need to import the eps file in a bounding box. (I just make sure I use standard page sizes.)
meaning the bounding box I import in is 8.5x11, and since you set the page size in cone to 8.5x11 then everything stays 1:1 and you have no sizing issues.

Getter 1
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Mbauer,

Great :D This makes you a hero :D I do some design work but the hard way (MS Paint) and this helps a ton :D

G1

Cloud_Ratha
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
You're welcome! Any more questions? Just ask.

I've done this so much that it comes as second nature to me, but it those little steps that sometimes slip by...

Are you designing without a computer? Or are you doing this in a drawing program?

Mike

Kind of,

Im designing by hand using Illustrator, a Vector Design program.

Im still trying to get the hang of designing. I started a thread in the Design Thread area for bumblebee. my cones were nowhere near right. So this is very useful.

Paladin
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
That is an awesome tool, thanks so much. It helps for those few of us who do their designing by hand like me........Did I hear crickets? :confused:Anyone else out there? Helllooooo..... OMG you mean I'm the only dork doing it that way?!! :eek:
Sorry guys I'll shut up now.:(

Retired_for_now
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I can cut a lot of wood by hand in the time it takes me to set up the table saw ...
But if I need to do a whole bunch of cutting, it's worth the setup time.

Yogi (it ain't dorkage - right tool, right job)

looker
05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
After step 3) you can find the size of the angle OAC in degrees by dividing the radius of the base ( that's half of AB ) by the slant height of the cone ( OB ) and multiplying by 360. Very simple calculation that will give a more accurate answer. Also saves on string.:)

mbauer
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
After step 3) you can find the size of the angle OAC in degrees by dividing the radius of the base ( that's half of AB ) by the slant height of the cone ( OB ) and multiplying by 360. Very simple calculation that will give a more accurate answer. Also saves on string.:)

Hi Looker,

Thanks! Was wondering what the math was, not to good with it, but it does help to undestand why this manual method works.

Mike Bauer

lancer525
06-09-2010, 09:28 AM
There's a free program over on Gremir's site called "Siatki" that does exactly this without all the mental mathematical machinations... I use it because I am geometrically challenged, and unable to think in translation from 3D to 2D.

Just thought I'd share.... :D

bigbenn
08-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi,
If I want to draw and build a cone by hand, I look around my home for a plate or a round object like a bottle base, to draw around or I use my protractor and a black biro to draw a perfect circle.
All I have to do then is to remove a triangular wedge from the circle, making sure that the pointy end is at the middle of the circle and then when I drag the edges together, I have a cone shape which I can hold together with a paper tab glued over the inside of the two joins.
If I want a cone tube, then its a case of drawing two circles, one inside the other with my protractor, using the same point in the middle of the circle to draw the second circle.
When I cut out the outer circle and the inner circle on the same sheet, and remove a triangular wedge, as above, when I draw the edges together, I get a hollow tapered cone.
Of course, by overlapping the edges, it is possible to get a smaller cone shape and if that is the desired outcome, just use a biro to mark the outside edge position on the inner cone shape, then unfurl and cut off the waste and join internally with a paper tab.
Once you get the hang of it, it is really simple to make up cones of a specific size.
I used this technique to build the gun encasement on an American Civil War Ironclad I built some years ago. I also use the same technique to make wheels look like they are inflated, instead of having a flat wheel and hub surface. It is easy enough to flatten slightly, one side of the wheel, to give the impression the weight of the vehicle has depressed the tyres of the card model vehicle.
BigBenn