PDA

View Full Version : Tutorials Wanted ! ?

Fishcarver
04-22-2010, 07:15 PM
1. "Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro for REAL Dummies" (I.e: me).

2. Introduction to Digitally Photographing Models.

Any takers?

silveroxide
04-22-2010, 07:31 PM
So what are you looking for in the tutorials?

Fishcarver
04-22-2010, 07:36 PM
SilverO:

As regards Photoshop/PSP, a "real beginners guide" to the basics of repainting, resizing, etc.

Digital photography: how to make the best use of basic equipment. For example, I have an HP R507 camera...

Jim

cgutzmer
04-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I might be looking for people that might want to make some tutorials in written and/or video format for the cardmodelers.org site. Kinda depends..... otherwise I will just be looking for people to do them :) I can help organize though.

I think a basic photography VIDEO would be very helpful in getting people to understand the concepts.

I would also prefer to see GIMP over photoshop as its free and accessible to any and all platforms - its just my preference.

nicolasmark
08-14-2010, 01:17 AM
i want to find some tutorials too.

mbauer
08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
I would be interested in the digitally phot one too.

Mostly what kind of Photo Box to use and how to make one!

Best regards,
mike Bauer

cgutzmer
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I am going to be working on trying to find people to write some tutorials/ in depth reviews. COMPENSATED. I want these to help promote us within IPMS and for a newsletter for our SIG. Compensation will be in the form of cash or site credit in my shop.

Interested? Drop me a line :)

Swampfox
08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm not trying to be a wise acre here, and I'm not trying to pump sunshine up my skirt.....

I've been asked many times to do a photo tutorial for this group. I've done other tutorials and speaking from first hand experience............ it isn't easy to produce them.

I also know for a fact that 85-90% of the people that own a digital camera have never taken the time to read the manual and learn how their camera works. This step alone would answer a majority of the questions people have.

There are many good concept books for table top photography and lighting. The concepts for photographing our models are the same as for any other kind of miniature work.

As for Photoshop, same advice, the users manual for Photoshop is an excellent starting point. If you have a legal copy of Photoshop, you have a copy of this manual. Use it, learn from it. It's where I started and it has excellent exercises. After that, it's LOTS of practice. No legal copy? Oh well...

As for other image editing programs, I know nothing about them.

There is no quick and easy shortcut to learn this software. Start practicing and never stop.

I'll be interested to see the tutorials that develop from this thread.

Swampfox

APA-168
08-18-2010, 08:53 PM
This is a great idea, and that's a tutorial I could REALLY use. I know how to use my camera-that's the same thing as being able to take good pictures.

mbauer
08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
Ok, I did some googling

"How to take digital photos" Here is a link for taking digital photos Tips for taking great digital photos (http://www.basic-digital-photography.com/shooting-photos.html)

Then I googled "Digital photo Forum" A Canon site showed up Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/)

Finally I decided to try "How to make a digital photo light box" How to Make An Inexpensive Light Tent – DIY (http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent)

These are just a couple of examples, so don't know if it would be worth while to do a tutorial on the photo stuff. Plenty of other type forums for this. Looks like people that know what they are doing did them.

Since one of the first forums to show was Canon, I'm wondering if the other camera makers have something similar.

I did this becuase of a project that I need to do, as of today! Couldn't be better timing.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Damraska
08-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Good tutorials for photographing models definitely exist. The key concepts are good, diffused lighting, a steady camera, and depth of field. I'll bet Fine Scale Modeler has this covered.

I Googled "Model Airplane Photography", hit the first link, and there ya go:

http://www.modelairplanebuilding.com/photograph-model-airplane.html

When it comes to learning art programs for card modeling you really face TWO challenges--learning to get around in the art program AND how to use it specifically for card models. Creating a tutorial for paint program X would just be reinventing the wheel. However, pointing someone at a GOOD tutorial that already exists would help many prospective designers. As for the other part, this post represents a really good start:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tutorials/7515-mauris-tutorials-1-redrawing-recoloring-tutorial.html

I've used Photoshop for years but was not getting much milage out of it for card model work. I read that post and the light bulb went on.

I am going to be working on trying to find people to write some tutorials/ in depth reviews. COMPENSATED. I want these to help promote us within IPMS and for a newsletter for our SIG. Compensation will be in the form of cash or site credit in my shop.

What the card modeling community really needs is something like this:

IPMS/USA - Adult Building Course (http://www.ipmsusa.org/ABC/ABC_PresMessage.htm)

This is a 6 part course designed by IPMS USA for (re)introducing adults to modeling. The reader actually sits down with a specific model and goes through the process of building it from start to finish. I have never seen anything like it in the card modeling world. Lists of tips, tricks, and mini-tutorials are fine for people already into the process, but they confuse newcomers.

If you are trying to attract the IPMS crowd, you will need to focus on good, detailed models with some accuracy. Something with about 100 parts and attractive artwork and weathering like a Halinski kit would be perfect as an introductory model. Airplanes are still king so I would start there. Another good option would be a submarine, as they are currently very popular. The techniques for forming sub hulls are the same as for forming plane fuselages, but a sub does not have wings, a cockpit, and landing gear wells to confuse matters. Actually, a sub, then a plane, would be a good one-two start.

In all cases, I think hands on tutorials are way better than "I did this and then I did that". If you are doing a tutorial on recoloring, give me the tools to follow along and recolor the same model.

-Doug

cMags
08-19-2010, 07:44 AM
I've been intending to do a basic tutorial on card model photographing, using basic point & shoot cameras, just haven't had the time. Let me see what I can find for time in the next couple weeks...

cgutzmer
08-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Great suggestions there Doug! Thanks a lot, I agree with all points :)

doctormax
08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I say don't get my teacher in design and multimedia to show you photoshop she was useless I knew more little tricks of photoshop than she did and she hated that handy when the college gave us a copy of adobe photoshop 7 to put on our computers for school work and yes maybe finished the course but still got the disk ;)