PDA

View Full Version : 1/100 scale T-55

jimkrauzlis
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, here is my weekend project, a T-55 from Pařan. He has provided a few versions, and I chose the Soviet version, Operation Danube.

This model was a lot of fun to build! It went together fairly easily even at this scale and took only a few hours to finish. I built the version with the 3d tracks he made available and also added a few things here and there.

I made the turret capable of being rotated, which was a simple affair by simply determining the turning point, punching a small hole in the chassis and turret, and putting a small bit of toothpick for the axis. I also cut out the teeth for the tractor gear (not sure that is the correct term, since this is not a ship:D) adjusted the depth of some of the wheelie thingies and did a simple hinge for the track so they were able to sit a tab more realistic. I replaced the machine gun barrel with a short wire and added the aerial wip.

I'm really happy with the way it came out, particularly with chosing to do the 3d tracks. Pařan did a fantastic job in designing this model, can't believe how quickly he produced this fine piece of armor:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/4025-free-minipanzers-1-100-rawen-pa-6.html

I used 65# paper for most of the model, with regular bond paper to roll the barrel. Some of the smaller bits, like the search lamps, were a bit of a challenge to handle, but that is something I like about building in these smaller scales.

Here are a few pics of how she came out. I would recommend trying one of Pařan's neat little armor models if you're looking for something small to build which provides a fair degree of detail at 1/100 scale.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look! And thank YOU, Pařan!

Cheers!
Jim

bagpiper
04-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Wow! Now thats a nice looking model mate.
i think it's going to be a while before I start working on models that small but this is a very impressive build.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

shyted
04-25-2010, 01:39 AM
i have built a few of his vehicles but upscaled to 1/87 so they can ride on my flat cars on the trainset. looks like a good build well done.

pařan
04-25-2010, 02:24 AM
WOW, you built it very very good!
I'm very delighted, if I see that somebody built my model, like this. Thank you for post photos. :D

Texman
04-25-2010, 06:38 AM
....and the first seal was opened, and the visions came forth, Jim building aircraft, and tanks.

The end is near! Repent ye plastic modellers! The time has come!

Jim, well done. I'm glad to see others trying out their skills on more than just one genre of kits. Guess I got some catching up to do!

rockpaperscissor
04-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Excellent model Jim! Very clean build in such a small scale. These little guys are a real blast to assemble. A lot of reward for not too much effort.

jimkrauzlis
04-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Thank you so very much for the very nice and generous comments, guys!

And thank YOU, Pařan (and Rawen, and all the other excellent and wonderfully talented designers who make their wonderful designs available to us all)!

For those of you who have been building paper models for a while you know how the quality, quantity and variety of free downloads have steadily increased over the last fifteen years or so, a wonderful comment on how this great hobby has blossomed worldwide.

I, for one, am very greatful many of these talented folk have taken the time to generously make their creations available for us to have a few hours of fun building their offerings. With all due respect to our plastic, resin and wood modeling bretheren, I find it just plain incredible what is possible, given the wonderful talents of our designers, given a few sheets of printed paper, some glue and a modest selection of tools (my selection of basic tools are kept in a small plastic box, including my shrinking machine which I built from plans stolen from Texman ;)).

Texman, me ol' mate, although I still prefer the watery class of modeling (you just can't take the squid out of squinty, it seems:D) there are many times the urge to build other genre is simply impossible to resist. And I have the likes of you to thank for the occassional straying from the briney deep...seeing your incredible creations at 1/144 scale creates an irresistable urge to make the occassional non-maritime miniature...the weakness of my spirit to resist is evident from the seven or more half-built ships sitting around my work area!:o

Thanks again to everyone for stopping by and having a look.

Cheers!
Jim

Alcides
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Beautiful Jim. A very good work. I like your "mods" too.