PDA

View Full Version : FGMM Gee Bee Z

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
This one has been sitting on the pile for at least a couple of years now and it seemed a good addition to the contest. I hadn't built it before because this is an early kit and I was leery of the fit, which isn't bad. I had also printed it out on heavy card stock and should have printed it out on glossy paper for a better look.
The only changes I made were a vague interior, clear canopy, Styrofoam wheels, wire rigging and tail skid.
I'm happy with the final model, even if it's not the most accurate kit out there. It's just such a great looking plane!
44018 44019

44020 44021

44022 44023

Now it's on to something a bit more unlovely, the Stuka!
Chris

jagolden01
04-27-2010, 02:37 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Chris!

Wyvern
04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I think it's gorgeous! And it is a lovely little barrel of a plane- looks fast even sitting still. The Winged Engine....

Styrofoam wheels? Do tell! Wheels make me crack out the Captain Morgan....

Wyvern

cjwalas
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
The wheels are just circles cut out of a black styrofoam meat tray, lightly sanded (which gives them a nice worn matte finish). They're quicker and easier than sanding card or wood wheels and work just fine for smaller models like this. I've done some on larger models, but felt I had to coat them with glue for strength, plus they have to be two ply and glued styrofoam takes forever to dry.
Chris

wag
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Looks really good. This and the R1 were two of my first card models. They do build up surprising well despite being very simplified.
Wayne

AndyC
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
That's slick! I have the R1 and may build it now...The wheel pants scare me. I really do not do well with them...wheel pants and gull wings....things of the devil I say.

Paperwarrior
04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Chris, that is a great build! Thank you for the tip on the wheels. I may need to try that.

Wyvern
04-28-2010, 07:48 AM
The wheels are just circles cut out of a black styrofoam meat tray, lightly sanded (which gives them a nice worn matte finish). They're quicker and easier than sanding card or wood wheels and work just fine for smaller models like this. I've done some on larger models, but felt I had to coat them with glue for strength, plus they have to be two ply and glued styrofoam takes forever to dry.
Chris

Thanks for the tip! Do you use a compass cutter to cut them out, or what's your preferred technique, if you don't mind sharing?

Wyvern

BARX2
04-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Another great job! You are really on a roll. The FG Gee Bee R1 was one of my first models. I bought the Z, but haven't built it yet. Thanks again for mentioning the styro meat trays. I have to stop throwing those out!

ringmaster
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
How did U do ur canopy ? It really points up the tiny size of that plane, something most GeeBee don't do.

cjwalas
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
My apologies for not answering the last couple of questions, I simply lost this thread in my consciousness!
I simply use a circle guide to draw the wheels and then cut them out with a blade, nothing fancy. They always need a little sanding anyway, so it's easy to even out any curvature problems. At least it is at this small scale.
The canopy is heat formed. As has been shown on this site by better modelers than myself, the process is straightforward;
1. build the paper canopy.
2. Use it as a form and fill it with Sculpey oven bake polymer clay and bake it (with the paper canopy still on.
3. Remove paper canopy. Lightly sand the Sculpey form (if necessary).
4. Heat clear plastic and pull it down over the form. Let cool, remove and trim to form.
I find that I need to elevate the form on a stick so that I can pull down below and close to the form to get it to really get tight to the form.
It's not as hard as it seems and once I figured out to make a mount for me heat gun things got a LOT easier.
Try it!
Chris

bagpiper
06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I must be going mad but how on earth did I not find this GeeBee thread until now. I also just found AirDave's in which you mention this one. :o
Anyhoo very nice build mate. Glad I found it late than not at all.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jim