PDA

View Full Version : Looking for correct B-17

morgueman
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I have a 90 year old fiend who was the pilot of the lead B17 on D-Day for the diversion run. Mr. Stanek is a fan of some of my paper planes and has a B-24 I did for him but now I would like to do him one of the Mighty 8ths planes that were at Lavensham England his patch is faded but Says Gentlemen from Hell and he was in the 387th I think. Any ideas on where I can get a B-17 with the Black square on the tail with a white P? Thanks

3Turner
05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't. Know of any exsisting model, but I am sure that someone who has purchased the Fiddlersgreen B-17 can repaint it once you find out the specific serial number and nose art he flew for that mission. Or if you know how to repaint a model, you can buy it and do the work yourself.

hawkman67
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you have any pics showing the markings?? could be an easy quick repaint of the FG B-17.
Jeff

airdave
05-11-2010, 06:55 PM
heck, I never even thought about the FG B-17...that might be a good candidate for the model.
I don't own the FG Bombers ......yet...

maybe Jeff can help

Ron40
06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I did a Google search on the 387th Bomber Group and it shows
up as primarily a B-26 Group. Have you got the correct Bomber
Group or is there other info we could search for. Ron

Bomarc
06-10-2010, 10:21 AM
..... his patch is faded but Says Gentlemen from Hell and he was in the 387th I think. Any ideas on where I can get a B-17 with the Black square on the tail with a white P? Thanks

Black square with white "P" denotes the 487th BG:

487th Bomb Group: Markings (http://www.487thbg.org/Markings.shtml)

HTH

Mike

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey all;
I finished the repaint of the FG-B-17 into the requested model, with some detail mods included, I am going to Ask Chip if he wants it as it turned out rather well, I was able to do everything except the main nose art, and Roman Vasyliev was kind enough to make it up for the model. here are a couple of sample pages.
Jeff

Ron40
06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Mike,
Maybe I can help him out after I get my B-17 design complete. I
don't think it would be to hard to repaint to the 487th color scheme
being the one depicted is a late model G with the Cheyenne tail
gunner. Ron

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I already did help him out. And he seems happy with the kit, now just hoping for pics.
Jeff

Ron40
06-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Jeff,
That's fine with me. Just trying to help but you have got it
covered. Regards, Ron

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey Ron, That is what we all try to do, is help one another, I personally am looking forward to your new B-17 I like the models you did for PMI. So a Newer B-17 will be Sweet.
Jeff

cmdr199212
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Wow. Way to go guys! Looks great!

Swampfox
06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey all;
I finished the repaint of the FG-B-17 into the requested model, with some detail mods included, I am going to Ask Chip if he wants it as it turned out rather well, I was able to do everything except the main nose art, and Roman Vasyliev was kind enough to make it up for the model. here are a couple of sample pages.
Jeff

That was nice to redo the markings. What kind of mods did you include if I may ask?

Thanks,
Swampfox

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Swampfox;
I added a 3-D DF antenna, window overlay, new forward crewhatch overlay, new wheels all around, better struts for same. better bomb-bay doors, staggered the waist gunners windows, added new better looking sperry ball turret, redid the cheek gun windows, bashed a more appropriate upper turret, detailed the chin turret, added Cheyenne tail turret, pitot tubes, added a piece to the astrodome. I think that is all the mods,LOL. And now I am working on the parts for E and F models, which will include two captured ones, a German, and a Japanese. Oh and also a YB-40 gunship version. At least most of the next ones go hand in hand.
Jeff

Swampfox
06-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Swampfox;
I added a 3-D DF antenna, window overlay, new forward crewhatch overlay, new wheels all around, better struts for same. better bomb-bay doors, staggered the waist gunners windows, added new better looking sperry ball turret, redid the cheek gun windows, bashed a more appropriate upper turret, detailed the chin turret, added Cheyenne tail turret, pitot tubes, added a piece to the astrodome. I think that is all the mods,LOL. And now I am working on the parts for E and F models, which will include two captured ones, a German, and a Japanese. Oh and also a YB-40 gunship version. At least most of the next ones go hand in hand.
Jeff

Wow, that sounds like a whole new kit! Is this going to be available for sale? The E and F variants and the YB all sound like quite a project you have going there. I wouldn't keep you, your a busy man.

Thanks,
Swampfox

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
LoL;
only detail wise, i just went back and worked on things that were easy to add or fix, and some of the work I had already done on My SB-17 I did waay back, I just went thru and updated,and then did the things I mentioned. The E and F model parts I had underway some time ago and just put them aside for a spell, but intrest in FG has taken off again so I am finshing them up. I have quite a few FG repaints underway. I am going to make sure the pages are all cleaned up and Ask Chip if he wants them, if not will go from there.
Jeff

morgueman
06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
I can't thank Jeff enough for helping me get this plane together for my friend Pop Stanek. He turns 90 in August and I intend to have this plane that he actually flew in ready. The silver paper from Red River printed up well but I wonder if I should do the yellow areas n plain white as the silver shines through. Trying to finish up an Air Dave repaint of a B-26 that as a favor he repainted as "Incendiary Sue" the Model version isw wrong but it still looks great. Thanks again guys it means a lot.

hawkman67
06-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Very Welcome! and glad to have been able to help you out. I enjoy doing repaints a lot. I would recommend printing the yellow area in white yes, so as to have the non metallic look.
Jeff

Wyvern
06-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Looking forward to seeing your build of Hawkman's repaint, Morgueman. Jeff does superb repainting work.

Wyvern

willygoat
06-11-2010, 08:45 AM
wow! That looks great. I can't wait for this to go up on FG. Daddy needs a new B-17 :p