PDA

View Full Version : Making paper springs

outersketcher
12-18-2007, 02:36 PM
I've been working on a model design of a Honda ct90 motorcycle. I'd like to make the shocks actually work. But other than using an actual spring from say, a ball point pen perhaps. I haven't been able to figure out a way to make a paper spring. Which, of course, led me off on a whole new project...

How does one make a paper spring?

Any of you ever tried it?

Is it even possible I wonder?

David

goney3
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I have never tried it... trying to think of how you'd do it... maybe paper maché, use two molds then glue them together? ... for something small, how about hollowing a paper lollipop stick and somehow lathing a spring shape?... i am very interested in the answer to this question as well. Thank you for posting this David :)

dansls1
12-18-2007, 03:35 PM
There was a post on another forum (I honestly don't remember if it was cm.net or one of the German boards) about somebody using a screw and wet paper to mold springs. I don't think this helps you as the spring would have the appearance but not the actual flex of a real spring - but it's the closest I've seen.

whulsey
12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Paper doesn't have the resistance or "memory" of metal so you could use dansls1 idea for a paper spring, but it wouldn't probably have much spring to it.

shrike
12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
If you impregnated the paper with epoxy resin, you could make leaf springs pretty easily.

Perhaps even make volute springs that would work, but I doubt if you could get coils to spring at all.

You could cheat and build ball point springs into the shock body, and have a faux spring outside. The hidden spring would provide the ..um..springiness, while the paper spring would just flex.

Stev0
12-18-2007, 06:07 PM
With thick card and a steady hand and a sharp blade, you could carve the edge so that you shave away a wedge of card like peeling a potato or an apple. As you shave away the edge the material will naturally want to curl and you end up with a spring like shape.

A good material for this would be matte board and make sure you cut with the grain which is kind of hard to tell.

CharlieC
12-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I think you'd be defeated by the properties of paper - it has virtually zero elasticity. The easiest way I've found to make model springs is to wind annealed (*) copper wire onto a screw thread - this gives the right diameter and close to the right pitch for a model spring. The only hassle is finding the right sized thread to act as a guide.

Regards,

Charlie

* - Copper is annealed by heating to red heat and plunging into water.

Paperbeam
12-18-2007, 06:44 PM
IMHO the pen spring seemed the best bet.

As the Germans found out in WWII (despite some of their impressive technological breakthroughs), there's always the possibility of too much overengineering...:rolleyes:

Terry

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: http://www.paperbeam.com

SteveM
12-18-2007, 06:48 PM
paper springs are possible, but not like a helical metal spring, more like a bellows:

http://guru2.karakasa.com/recoil_escapement/r_escapement_e.html

whulsey
12-18-2007, 07:14 PM
That is a really interesting site. Thanks

Don Boose
12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, Steve. My son and I both started making the paper clock about ten years ago and then, as happens all too often with me, other projects and commitments intervened and we each have a partially built clock waiting for work to resume. This series of clips, diagrams, and explanations makes me want to return to the project.

Don B.

Gnasher
12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Ed Bertschy's steam engine uses paper springs on the governor. It can be found on Bill Jones' site (http://www.angelfire.com/empire/auction/index.html). They are tension springs rather than compression spring that you would need for your shocks. If you stiffened the paper (glue, epoxy, paint) and slide them over the stanchions, perhaps you could get some springyness out of them!

Gil
12-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Somebody called these bellows! I think it looks more like flexible hose but would look nice on a pair of Ceriani forks. Made by forming wet tracing paper (vellum) around a screw thread by wrapping with plastic wrap (Teflon plumbers tape was an experiment). The plastic wrap can be removed after an hour or so to let the rest dry. Putting it on a radiator works well. After its dry the helix of the screw can be removed by jogging the seam for proper alignment followed by gluing the seam with white glue. Finish with nitrate dope or thinned lacquer. It retains a certain amount of spring action which is surprising...,

+Gil

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/9243/rtrycylexp8ln8.jpg

SCEtoAUX
12-18-2007, 11:57 PM
My first thoughts were in line with what SteveM brought attention to. Perhaps with some creative camouflage you could get that technique to look like the springs on a cycle and have them sort of functional too.:)

Gil
12-19-2007, 02:08 AM
The following was rolled from tracing paper vellum around a bees was coated copper wire mandrel. The assembly was then wrapped around a mandrel for a single pass helix shape followed by a coating of thinned lacquer and let dry, after which, the wire was removed. Heating the assembly before attempting to remove the mandrel wire is a good idea...,

One has to wonder why anyone would go to this means to make a paper spring. The intent for this was not a spring but rather a bent tubing structure. Stretching copper wire till it ruptures work hardens the wire. Winding the stretched wire around a suitably sized screw thread will yield a workable spring for most modeling situations. Use a smaller diameter screw than required as the stretched wire will "spring back" some to a larger diameter once coiled...,

+Gil

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1083/ab563pr.jpg

Bionic Modeler
12-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Since cotton thread is also a celulose product one could wind it around an ink re-fill (nylon because it doesn't stick to nylon) in the shape of a spring and soak lighlty with super glue. Or if you are set on paper you could form a paper worm and while still damp follow the same procedure as outlined above.

CharlieC
12-19-2007, 06:42 AM
One has to wonder why anyone would go to this means to make a paper spring. The intent for this was not a spring but rather a bent tubing structure. Stretching copper wire till it ruptures work hardens the wire. Winding the stretched wire around a suitably sized screw thread will yield a workable spring for most modeling situations. Use a smaller diameter screw than required as the stretched wire will "spring back" some to a larger diameter once coiled...,

+Gil

That's why I suggested annealing the wire - you get rid of most of the existing work hardening and it's much easier to roll the wire onto a screw thread without it springing back.

Regards,

Charlie

Stev0
12-19-2007, 07:35 AM
I know I think I can pull it off with my technique. I think if I treat the paper afterwards with plastic cement/crazy glue it will work even better.

SteveM
12-20-2007, 04:50 AM
Somebody called these bellows! I think it looks more like flexible hose

No, I was calling these a bellows:

outersketcher
12-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Excellant ideas. But I'm no longer restricted by the perameters of the design of the ct90 motorcycle shock. That's only what led me to this (in my mind) far more interesting concept.

Designing a (relatively) simple to reproduce paper spring. A design that could be downloaded and created by anyone.

Can it be done? I dunno...But I'm REALLY interested in trying a variety of ideas. I could care less what the spring looks like. Just as long as it's... well, "springy". : )

Your ideas are great!

What if I wrapped a roll of paper that has been soaked in white glue diluted with water around a cylinder? I made some spider legs this way once that worked out very nice. It allowed me to curve otherwise long, thin rolled paper rods into delicate, sweeping arcs.

David

kooklik
12-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Why don't try with copper wire ?
BR.
---- kooklik ----

Lex
12-30-2007, 06:44 AM
Because... That is not acceptable to a paper purist ^^

outersketcher
01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
I've been looking at tightly wound coils of paper. Cut a strip of paper, windit into a coil and let it relax juuuuust a bit, then glue the edge to itself. Now, you can push the inner edge from the center of the coil along a vertical axis. (assuming that the coil is on it's side) It resists... a reverse spring? I've seen simple christmas ornaments with ornaments dangling on the end of colored paper coils. Pretty yes, but useful as a spring? ...maybe... A coil of paper also resists attempts to uncoil. I suspect a coil spring similar to what you might find in a hand wound pocket watch might be realized in paper. Now imagine making two coils and gluing them together slightly offset along the horizongal axis (assuming you have the coil laying on it's side). They used to do this to strips of steam bent wood when building dog sleds and such. It MIGHT increase the tension of the coil spring.

Another problem I've discovered is the natural surface tension of most paper. It's rough stuff man. That means friction... and a loss of desperately needed energy to overcome said friction.... IF... you have paper rubbing against paper.

The flexible hose by Gil is fascinating.

shrike
01-07-2008, 10:47 PM
The tightly wound coil resisting along the axis IS a volute spring by the way.
Later M4 Sherman tanks had a Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension (HVSS).
Try a layout in the shape of a 'V' with tapering arms. Roll from the arms inward so it looks a bit like a crescent roll<g> You may be able to get som decent spring action out of it.

Drat - should have been a picture of a spring try this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_%28device%29