PDA

View Full Version : USAF Fire Trucks

oldrangerbob
05-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Finally started a new website

HOME (USAF FIRE PROTECTION) (http://sites.google.com/site/usaffireprotection/)

Here I'll post my USAF Fire Protection vehicle paper models. I've already posted a 530B Structural Pumper and an R-2 Rescue truck. Being new to the hobby I've used what I knew and created .BMP's in MSPaint and put them together in MSWord. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone. The models are in the attachements section at the bottom of the page.

hawkman67
05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Very, very cool!!! nice to see some different Airfield vehicles. Thank You! for sharing them...How hard would it be to convert the Deuce to a WW2 version?
Jeff

whulsey
05-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Guess my version of Word is too old to open them. I guess its about time for me to upgrade everything.

rickstef
05-15-2010, 10:48 PM
If he saves the file as a .doc instead of .docx you can openin it, but you can try to find the .docx viewer for office 2003

whulsey
05-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks Rick for the suggestion, but I did a bit of experimenting and found out Open Office opens them ok. Still need to upgrade since I'm finding lots of new stuff that won't work on my system.

rixtoys
05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
I would really like a copy of the R-2 crash truck. but I don't have a new enough version of Word. Can it be posted any other way or opened in another format ? How did you get it to open in Open office ? That didn't work for me.
Thanks
Rick

ramatoto
05-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Looks interesting, but i canīt open the files. Open office tries, but thereīs allways an error....

maxcarbon
05-16-2010, 07:49 AM
MS Office 2007 has the option to save documents as pdf files. Perhaps oldrangerbob could do that for the benefit of the rest of us. Just a suggestion. :)

aaronlam
05-16-2010, 08:09 AM
thanks for such a rare topic.

I did try using word viewer together with file format converter (all download from microsoft) and they works fine. Although it claims some special feature cannot be used when opening the files, but i didn't find any missing and the model layout is great !!

Enjoy !!

consistseeker
05-16-2010, 08:17 AM
The models look great , but could you tell me what scale are they in. thanks
Consistseeker

oldrangerbob
05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Special Thanks to Tapcho for leading me to the CutePDF download. I've already started converting them and will re-post them (probably tomorrow. I just got home from work and I'm really tired.).

rixtoys
05-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks!!OOHH PDF that will be very cool. It is very hard to find M37 models. In fact I have only ever found one and now an R2 crash truck ohhh yaaa. :)
Heres' my baby at the airshow.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d124/broncdriver/Maranaairshow2010074.jpg

oldrangerbob
05-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Stick with me - the Assistant Fire Chief's truck is an M37 pick-up

oldrangerbob
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
My Base Fire Chief's vehicle is a 1964 Ford Station Wagon (Simple Model).

rixtoys
05-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Oldrangerbob,
OH that is great. Can't wait to see them. !!

josef mayer
05-17-2010, 01:33 PM
thank you, oldrangerbob.
This is a great part for my new air plane museum, By the way, what is the scale of the fire trucks.

kind regards

Sepp

Ashrunner
05-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Nice airfield models, Bob.

One of my most treasured objects is a small trophy presented to me by the Base Fire Chief of Aviano AB. It has a wooden trophy base and on top is a simulated gold plated fireman with a hose. The name plate says, "Larry Sobkoviak, Honorary Fireman, Aviano AB, Italy 1978"

I was asked by the fire chief to do a story about the base fire department in my newspaper. I agreed and after a short discussion, decided I would attend a pit burn to see what they go through.

The evening of the burn, I showed up for the briefing and listened as they discussed how much fuel would be ignited, what the winds would be like, and other information I don't remember. I was then fitted with a set "Bunkers" and when I asked what I needed them for, the chief calmly said, "You're gonna be the lead man putting out the fire." He then explained what he would like me to do and the safety precautions that would be in place. After thinking for about 1.5 seconds, I agreed and off we went to the burn pit.

1,000 gallons of contaminated JP-4 was lit, and I with the (forgive me is this is the wrong term) nozzle for the Aqueous Film Forming Foam hose in hand, and the chief at my side as my safety buddy, headed towards the flames.

When I had finished dousing the flames, I walked over to the truck (a P-3 if I remember correctly) and pulled the helmet off my head. I was dead tired, hot and still sweating profusely, but I walked into a fire of 1,000 gallons of jet fuel, and snuffed it out.

The next edition of my newspaper had in the center section, a story on the fire department and written with first-hand information about what the job entailed.

During the next monthly Commander's Call, I was asked to attend. It was there, in front of the entire Civil Engineers Squadron that I was presented the cherished trophy.

I'll be looking forward to more of your models, Oldrangerbob.

cgutzmer
05-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Awesome story! would like to have seen some pics of that! :)
Chris

OgdenBob
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Very cool Oldrangerbob!! I have often wished for some models of USAF or US Navy Crash trucks, Except for Airfix, this area of military modeling has been completely neglected. Can't wait to start building one of these.Thanks for creating and sharing them here!!:D:D:D

Bob

oldrangerbob
05-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I'll probably do repaints of my P-4 as a Wllow Grove Crash Truck. I have pictures I took in the Early 1980's. I was also considering a P-25 Aircraft Carrier Crash Truck and an MB-5 Crash Truck. As long as they are mostly square - they are within my skill level.

oldrangerbob
05-17-2010, 11:20 PM
The 750A Structural pumper is now available for download on the web page. I've straightened up and expanded the web page and made the models available as PDF files.

rixtoys
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks Oldrangerbob the trucks are great!! The M37 and the R2 will be my next 2 models to build. Your firefighting sight is very interesting and congratulations on your grand baby !!

ramatoto
05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Many thanks! Great models, and offering as PDF make things much easier.

I have been a Fire-Fighter myself for 25 years, and this models close a really big hole.

Many thanks again, i canīt wait to see more of them!

flightsimmer2010
07-27-2010, 06:28 AM
:D:D:D WOWW cool airforce fire apparatus:):) they will make a cool addition to my card Seagrave or ummm Pierce grrrr or HME .. ok ok KME pumper rescue and tankers.. once i get to select what cab and boby style matches the ones here in town:P:P

Don Boose
07-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Belatedly found this thread and downloaded the R2. Great little model. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to trying my hand at building it. Your models are a great tribute to firefighters in general and USAF firefighters in particular.

Appears to be based on creinemann's M37 model, which I enjoyed building and have yet to add the rearview mirrors to. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/1405-m-37-a.html
http://m37.crwdesigns.com/index.htm
http://m37.crwdesigns.com/DodgeTruck.pdf

Don

2Kamser
07-27-2010, 02:30 PM
these are pretty cool, not many of these around

rickstef
07-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Actually the model was designed by Ed Bertsky, who has disappeared from the paper model hobby since he released this model.

Rick

Don Boose
07-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for clearing up the origin of the basic M37 model, Rick.

Don

Allensilveradokid11
09-28-2012, 08:47 PM
hi bob was wondering if you had any photos of the completed fdny models or could tell me what the black pieces are? thanks

Finally started a new website

HOME (USAF FIRE PROTECTION) (http://sites.google.com/site/usaffireprotection/)

Here I'll post my USAF Fire Protection vehicle paper models. I've already posted a 530B Structural Pumper and an R-2 Rescue truck. Being new to the hobby I've used what I knew and created .BMP's in MSPaint and put them together in MSWord. I hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone. The models are in the attachements section at the bottom of the page.

Allensilveradokid11
10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
has any one tried building reedy creek? i'm finding the cab seems to be a smaller scale then the rest of the truck

will44
10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Really nice models........but I must admit those Stations really grab me......I hope you will be posting more of the Station architecture.

will44

Allensilveradokid11
04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
love these models i'm currently working on the 530b structural pumper but i do not understand how the frame goes together any body that could explain it to me it would be much appreciated Thanks

Herk
10-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Bob,
Have looked at your website - very interesting. Would like to talk with you direct - please contact me at: NC130Herk AT outlook DOT com.

With Regards,
Steve Payne, USAF (ret)
IPMS 47035