PDA

View Full Version : Tatebanko inspired by Ichiyosai Toyokuni

Pat_craft
05-22-2010, 12:28 AM
My aim is to reproduce the papercraft of this printing (may be all the printing... I'll see...)
http://72.5.117.144/fif=fpx/sc2/SC219022.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=400&cvt=jpeg

I start to model the house... But there is a perspective problem in the printing. I think that I have to make choices to be consistant. I probably will reduce the inferior part.
After that I will make the second part of the house (which have perspective problem too...).

Don Boose
05-22-2010, 07:22 AM
Good beginning, Pat. I will be following your progress. Bonne chance!

Don

Tapcho
05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Could this solve the perspective problem? Look at the pic...

Thomas Meek
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
C'est une idée merveilleuse. Je suis impatient de voir prendre forme sous vos mains. A bientôt!

This is a great idea. I look forward to watching it take form under your hands. See you soon!

airdave
05-22-2010, 09:24 AM
theres definately some confusing lines in that drawing.

the roof part (above the balcony figure) is the underside of the roof.
I don't believe the balcony railing and corner railing line up.
The balcony that the figure is on juts out ahead of the corner balcony.
maybe a step or L shaped balcony?

does this help?

papermodelfan
05-22-2010, 09:59 AM
What a great idea! Sometimes the structures were designed in a flattened or altered geometry - to enhance the perspective, so not all angles are necessarily 90 degrees. Also, the triangle gable may not be vertical, but tilting back into the building a few degrees.

B-Manic
05-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Its nice to see this artform being revived. I'll be following closely Pat.

Pat_craft
05-24-2010, 04:38 AM
Tapcho : I agree with you and your blue dotted line.

Thomas : Damned ! Your french is better than my english ! Shame on me !

Airdave : Interresting proposition for the roof... and the L shape balcony...

Papermodelfan and B-Manic : thank for your encouragement.

I have to think more about the house... So I made the cow and the herd. I had to modify some lines and create some hidden part on the printing.
(The differences in the color are due to light and my printer...)

Don Boose
05-24-2010, 07:01 AM
Nice work so far, Pat. I agree that there is a optical illusion quality to the model in the print. And the location of the princess appears rather different in the model than in the scroll above the actor's head. You will, no doubt, have to use some artistic license.

Don

Pat_craft
05-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Now the different parts of the house are done...

Don Boose
05-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Excellent progress, Pat!

Don

Thomas Meek
05-27-2010, 09:22 AM
It looks really good!

Pat_craft
05-27-2010, 09:25 AM
And now the house is done...
There are some errors I have to correct.
A little "clin d'oeil" with a part of the original printing inside...

Tapcho
05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
This looks really great! You've created a very convincing japanese athmosphere - at least to my eyes. Good work Pat_craft.

Tappi

Yu Gyokubun
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
This looks really great! You've created a very convincing japanese athmosphere - at least to my eyes. Good work Pat_craft.

Tappi

To Japanese eyes too. Fantastic work!

Thomas Meek
05-27-2010, 10:07 AM
i especially like the picture on the interior wall reproducing the original print!:D

Pat_craft
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Next step... the girl and the ground !

Don Boose
05-28-2010, 02:33 PM
You have successfully captured the scene!

Don

Art Deco
05-31-2010, 12:32 AM
Great project! I love the touch of the original painting hanging on the wall inside the model!

Pat, I hope you also model the actor contemplating the tatebanko. Then, you can shoot a photo of you contemplating the model of the actor contemplating the model of the painting with the original painting inside. Then maybe you can Photoshop the original painting image onto a "scroll" floating over your head. :)

Thomas Meek
05-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Pat; Your project is looking very cool, and it makes me happy just to look at it. :D

Art Deco; Your idea is fun to think about. It makes a very amusing mental image. (Maybe some problems with conflicting scales, though) ;)

Spar
05-31-2010, 07:45 AM
I find the whole project facinating! The fact that you're making a 3D model of a printing shows great respect of art and culture (at least to this Social Studies teacher).

I do have to ask, are you planning to add the trees and foliage behind the house as well?

Pat_craft
05-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all of your comments !

Stevenpr : of course, I have planed to add tree and foliage behind the house

Art Deco : :D... And so on... In french, we call that "une mise en abîme" ! Like the abyss, it the construction seems never end...

B-Manic
05-31-2010, 08:24 AM
I really like where you are going with this project Pat. It looks very good.

Pat_craft
06-03-2010, 02:45 AM
I have not done many much more. But I modified the house (I have added textures on some white parts for a better esthetic), defined the best (I hope...) scale for the characters (I think that they were a bit too tall), and I start the trees...

http://www.maquettes-papier.net/forumenpapier/download/file.php?id=9037&mode=view/Encours.jpg

Pat_craft
06-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Now, all the parts are done... I just need to build it !

Tapcho
06-03-2010, 05:37 AM
Eyetastic! Your work is great, looking forward seeing the finished model. The graphics are excellent and very true to the original artwork and the culture it comes from. I like the suttle colors.

Pat_craft
06-04-2010, 06:37 AM
Well... almost finished ! Just some minor modifications needed.

(for exemple, I want to have a better texture for the bamboos behind the house...).

May be this version is a bit too small : less than 2 centimeters for the herd, the house is 8 centimeters long...

Spar
06-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Looking great Pat!

ultra
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
a nice build

keep going man

ultra stone

Thomas Meek
06-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi, Pat;
I like it a lot! It was a very good idea which turned out very well. Congratulations on your idea and your execution, and thank you for sharing with us. It is a joy to observe the creative process from close at hand (well, close in a manner of speaking.)

And, yes, I agree that it would be fun to see a photograph of you gazing at the model, as the actor in the original print. The floating scroll would not be necessary.

Pat_craft
06-05-2010, 12:55 AM
Thanks for your comments Thomas, Ultra and SevenPr :)

I think that this tatebanko seem to desertic... I need to do some herbs, some plants (there is one model on the print). May be I have to modifie the ground too.

It's an interesting experience to do something that have been done years and years ago. Of course, it is not the same tatebanko, it is just an interpretation. But some times I face with the same problems than her creator. For exemple the tree : on the print, it has a tab behind him to be in a good position. I noted that it is indispensable. My tree fall down too without it. Well it's just a detail.... But I like this sensation : trying to walk on ancient footsteps.

"And, yes, I agree that it would be fun to see a photograph of you gazing at the model, as the actor in the original print. The floating scroll would not be necessary." I will think about it, that will be fun !

Art Deco
06-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Pat, you did a great job bringing that historic print to life! Bravo!

Pat_craft
06-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Thanks Art Deco ;)

And now the last turn. My Tatebanko is finished !!
Well, the photographies are not very good...

Don Boose
06-22-2010, 06:12 AM
This is perfect, Pat!

Congratulations on a brilliant idea, design, and execution.

I hope you translate more ukiyo-e into tatebanko.

Don

Thomas Meek
06-22-2010, 08:23 AM
:DThat is an exquisite piece of work! Bravo!:D

Realizing the tatebanko from the ukiyo print was an inspired idea, and it has been very interesting and exciting to watch it materialize.

I also compliment you on your craftsmanship for such a small object.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work (especially that Bugatti race car.)

Thomas

Pat_craft
06-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks Don. Yes, I think that I will translate others Ukyio-e into tatebanko. I have many choices !!!

Thanks Thomas ;) The Bugatti is on the road again...

John Wagenseil
01-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I just found this thread, very nice.
(could you post a picture of the print on which inspired your tatebanko, the link seems to be broken).

Pat_craft
01-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Here it is