PDA

View Full Version : Designer Motivation & virtual model show?

Retired_for_now
06-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd be very interested in your posting pictures in this thread of any of my designs you've built - or variations (likely improvements) on those models. Been slowing down a bit lately - other than the stomp rocket surge that Mike started - so looking for a pick-me-up.

Designs so far:
STRAW ROCKET LAUNCHER - posted here at PM
STOMP ROCKET LAUNCHER + ARES I - posted here
Basic Stomp Rockets - posted here
Nike-Zeus (stomp rocket) - posted here
SOHO solar observatory - posted here
Solar Probe Plus - posted here
MESSENGER mission to Mercury - posted at For Students (http://www.messenger-education.org/students/student_index.php)
Mariner 10 - posted here
Magellan - posted here
Ranger - posted here (thread by jagolden01)
Lunar Orbiter (US) - posted here
Clementine lunar probe - posted here
Lunar Prospector - posted here
Hiten-Hagoromo (Japanese Lunar probe) -posted here
LCROSS/Centaur (umtutsut thread) -posted here
Mar Recon Orbiter - posted here
Viking Orbiter - posted here
Viking Lander - posted here
Pathfinder-Sojourner Mars rover (jparenti as well) - posted here
Cassini-Huygens (jparenti thread) - posted here
Simple Voyager probe - posted here
James Webb Space Telescope (mod) - posted here (micro build by dyna-soar)
WISE space telescope - posted at Lower Hudson Valley (jleslie48.com)
(simple) International Space Station - posted here
Salyut 6 space station (red baron thread) - posted here
Skylab space station - posted here
MIR space station - posted at AXM (http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ (http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/) under historical space stations)
Bigelow Space Habitat - posted here
SpaceX Falcon9/Dragon (dyna-soar thread) - posted here
Interplanetary Cruiser - posted here
Global Hawk RQ-4 hako-ish (paper warrior built) - posted here
(simple) Predator - posted here
and ... the
daVinci medical robot - posted here .

Most downloads are posted in the obvious category - Real Space - with a few rocket launchers and the DaVinci robot in Toys and Automata, UAVs in Aviation.

Big kudos for any you've given away or used in workshops.

Yogi (looking for validation?)

SJPONeill
06-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Yogi

If you feel you're slowing down at the moment, I would think it would be more due to your prolific output rate of some great models...while I have yet to build any, I have forwarded your stomp rocket designs to my brother-in-law who is of an engineering bent to build with my nephews...

Please consider your projects well validated and appreciated by this (at the moment) non builder

Simon

Swampfox
06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Yogi, I still very new here and I knew that you'd designed a "couple" of space related models, I had NO idea you'd designed as many as are included in your list.

I'd be really interested in several of the models you've listed with a "posted here" comment.. I just went over to the download area and as soon as I'm done with this posting, I'm going to download several of your designs and make several of them.. I'm mostly interested in the Lunar and Planetary probes as I worked with the data from several of them back in the late '60's and early '70's. Lunar Orbiter, Viking, & Ranger to name just a few.

Thanks for the heads up on your designs. I think its good to advertise your work every so often so us newbies can realize what is out there for us to build.

I don't know if you take requests, but have you ever designed a model of the unmanned Surveyor Lunar Lander series? I spent hundreds of hours making mosaics of the thousands of images that they transmitted back in the mid '60's. That would be a great model for me to add to my collection.

Keep up the good work, don't stop

Thanks,
SFX

mbauer
06-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi Yogi,

The surge would not have been possible without your help and advice! When looking at the download section your name is near the top for contributions.

It is not only who you help today, but those who are just finding or will find this site in the future, that will aslo appreciate your models, comments and insight!

The future generations whoose spark you're just beginning to light by your educational downloads will have you remembered by many that will end up working in aerospace related industries, for many years to come.

You are doing a very fine job, and it is well appreciated!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Retired_for_now
06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks all,
SFX - check either Ton Noteboom's site ( pe2tr rozenburg cardmodels hamradio (http://www.pe2tr.nl/) ) or the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center ( The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Photo Gallery - Apollo Spacecraft (http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_apollo.html) ) for a really well executed and incredibly detailed Surveyor. One of Ton's so the fit is superb.
Yogi

umtutsut
06-13-2010, 06:37 AM
I do need to get back to the LCROSS-Centaur instead of fooling around with starting other stuff. Got a bit discouraged when my attempts at gold-foiling the spacecraft panels didn't work out the way I planned. :(

You've re-inspired me, Yogi! Lemme see what I can do.

:cool: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Retired_for_now
07-03-2010, 08:57 PM
And along with the Bomarc y'all have downloaded 2,418 copies of these various models ...

Paper Kosmonaut
07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Hello, Yogi. One of my first models was of your design. I made the Falcon 9 with the impressive cargo nosecone. For fun, I also made the Dragon and provided the service module with solar panels. A bit crude, but I just had started with paper.. A thing I changed was to just make the F9 unseparable, no stages. The Dragon can be separated from the 2nd stage, though.
For the rest, I enlarged it to 1/96 because most of my models are in that scale. Better comparison..
Here it is between later models. I still like it a lot.

nebeltex
07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
R_T_F,
you have done some excellent work. I, and the community, thank you (we have played with some). however, it is difficult to judge motivation per your wishes without a time frame. there are many "scales" to contend with within the genre...

Retired_for_now
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Jasper - Beautiful job, and some nice added detailing. I'm of the recognizable design persuasion - seeing what you and others do with the detailing is superb.

Cliff - no hurry or time limit at all. This thread is more like fishing. You put out the bait, sit, drink a beer, sit, drink another beer, sit (repeat until fish or you go bingo on beer). I don't get much of a charge from looking at the models on my shelves once they're done. I do get a rush when someone walks past the display case at the planetarium, sees a classroom display, or plays with the stomp rockets and says "I can do that!"

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
07-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey Yogi - just curious, how/where did you find out my name? For the rest: I am planning to make your LCROSS stack in the nearby future, especially because I sent the names of me, my lover and my in 1998 deceased father along with it.

rickstef
07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Jasper,

your public profile

Hup Holland

Retired_for_now
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
P-K
What rickstef said (posted?) - I guess I'm just a semi-luddite, but directly addressing folks by their name just seems polite/respectful to me.

That said, thanks for the LCROSS info - that really makes the design work worth it. Of course, if the space aliens at the moon base we bombed with LCROSS read the plaque you may be the next abductee ...

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
07-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Hahaha! Might be a nice diorama idea - a crashed LCROSS and an alien with a bump on its head, shaking about seven fists to the earthlings...
I don't mind being called by my own name, Yogi. I just thought it wasn't visible. But it is to the admins and mods. That makes you a moderator, right? (-;

Retired_for_now
07-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Assisting Ashrunner in moderating the PASA section - you know how those space-geeks get. Staring at the sky, smashing things into comets or the moon, lighting off rockets ...

Yogi

nebeltex
07-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Cliff - no hurry or time limit at all. This thread is more like fishing. You put out the bait, sit, drink a beer, sit, drink another beer, sit (repeat until fish or you go bingo on beer). I don't get much of a charge from looking at the models on my shelves once they're done. I do get a rush when someone walks past the display case at the planetarium, sees a classroom display, or plays with the stomp rockets and says "I can do that!"

Yogi

lol! what i was really asking was how long did it take you to design all those neat llittle models? i did enjoy your answer though!

Retired_for_now
07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
lol! what i was really asking was how long did it take you to design all those neat llittle models?

Generally takes about a week in total (not necessarily continuous). A day or so of research, a day or two to sketch out (pencil & paper), decompose into parts, and draw up the bits (strictly 2-D). Print, cut, assemble - then fix all the bits that don't quite work, fit or look right - another couple of days. Reprint and assemble to make sure all the fixes work and we're done. I usually use Titebond II glue from the shop so there's essentially no waiting for parts to dry.

Of course, that process is then followed by a long period of sitting and fiddling around with other things to recharge. Then to finding a home for the model (to keep things cool with "She who's getting tired of the clutter around here").

Yogi
(still on the shelves/boxed: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon; Phobos-Grunt in progress; Ton's Hyper-X; most of a rocket garden; various planets, asteroids, and the bizzaro Earths; the space station set bound for the science center shortly; interplanetary cruiser likewise bound; and lots of stomp rockets in preparation for another science camp)

Paper Kosmonaut
07-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Do you make your models often for educational purposes? It sounds like you do some lecturing or workshop-like things. (Isn't that what a science camp is? being dutch i am not familiar with such camps) I think making young people aware of science an space travel is a good thing.
To go a bit off topic: I wrote a book about the history of space travel and I am hoping to have it published before april 12 next year. It is aimed at people from 10 to, say, 100, written in a plain, non-jargon style and I think it should be in every public and school library. Books like this don't exist in Dutch. So I wrote one...

Squirrel
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
i hope it gets published, PK. space travel is an important subject.

Retired_for_now
07-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Do you make your models often for educational purposes? It sounds like you do some lecturing or workshop-like things. (Isn't that what a science camp is? being dutch i am not familiar with such camps) I think making young people aware of science an space travel is a good thing.
To go a bit off topic: I wrote a book about the history of space travel and I am hoping to have it published before april 12 next year. It is aimed at people from 10 to, say, 100, written in a plain, non-jargon style and I think it should be in every public and school library. Books like this don't exist in Dutch. So I wrote one...

Educational volunteer work is how I discovered the "state of the art" in paper modeling (extensive descriptions in the first few posts here: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/3604-yogis-builds-boldy-glue-where.html ). It's pretty much pre-empted my carpentry hobby for a while (still have a dock to rebuild and seawall to repair ...). Passing on the finished models to local teachers also keeps my shelves clear.

I've put displays in the lobby of the local Jr College planetarium in response to their request for "space models" when they refurbished and updated the facility (genesis of the BIG ISS: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/pasa-paper-aeronautical-space-administration/5509-big-iss.html ).

The Pensacola IPMS modelling club has a member who regularly does modelling (plastic) demonstrations at local libraries, though I haven't tried that yet.

The Emerald Coast Science Center is a small town version of the Exploratorium (Exploratorium: the museum of science, art and human perception (http://www.exploratorium.edu/) ); lots of hands-on science exhibits for the young demonstrating basic science (magnetism, optics, etc.). The local version runs science camps for kids where they play with the exhibits, cover astronomy/telescopes, aerodynamics and paper airplanes, and I do rockets with comments on space exploration/basic phyics/mechanics and let them build/launch their own stomp rocket.

If you can spare the time, you could likely do something similar by linking up with a local library or summer education/recreation program (kids get lots of exercise chasing down and bringing back their rockets for another launch). You're already doing a lot if you've written a book - good on you!

Take a look at the straw rocket launcher plans and lesson book in the Toys and Automata section of the Downloads - the lessons are similar to what I do with the stomp rockets without the math (try for accuracy to land in/near a big bucket; who's rocket goes furthest and why; differences between heavy and light rockets; different flight patterns depending on where you put the fins on your rocket - the ones with fins at the front and in the middle are a treat; etc.).

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
07-08-2010, 01:42 AM
Yogi, I admire the altruism you display in giving away your models and your educational work with kids. Unfortunately, since the Netherlands is not exactly what you can call a space faring nation, (only two astronauts and the same amount of homemade satellites) the general interest in space and its exploration is quite small (hence the lack of nice books). Due to my own job, which is a bit irregular, I can't really get to the same level of enthusing youngsters as you do. Space camps are non-existent here. But I think I really would like to get young people enthousiast for space exploration in the broader sense of the word. Well, first the book.

Retired_for_now
07-18-2010, 03:18 PM
I admire the altruism you display in giving away your models and your educational work with kids.

Thanks, but of course a large part of the motivation is also to keep the shelves (and any other flat surface around the house) clear to ensure "she who does not dust those things" stays happy. I enjoy building things, but once they're completed I pretty much move on ...

Yogi