PDA

View Full Version : 1/24 Northrop HL-10

SAustin16
06-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Good Evening Fellow Space Cadets,

Jon Leslie has graciously hosted my latest design effort on his Lower Hudson Challenger Museum site. We bring you the Northrop HL-10 Lifting Body in 1/24 scale. There are two options available, one with a "grey" skin, and one that is "lines only" for printing on metallic paper.

Jon created several very realistic metallic textures for me to texture the grey model with, but my lack of skills with GIMP have resulted in complete failure. I'm hoping to have an improved metallic version available soon.

There are two additional documents available which are screen-shot views of what the completed model should look like, and also a set of graphics to apply to the model.

I hope you enjoy the model.

Steve Austin

whulsey
06-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for providing that to us.

Simmo
06-21-2010, 05:16 AM
We can rebuild him...

Retired_for_now
06-21-2010, 05:20 AM
Nice job on an interesting bit of history. Thanks.
Yogi

billy.leliveld
06-21-2010, 05:21 AM
He's running 90 mph ( only in slow-motion)
Thanks Steve!
And for the one person that doesn't know, it's here; The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop (http://jleslie48.com/)

SAustin16
06-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello All,

I hope you enjoy the model. It's not very complicated...to match my design skills. And as many of you know, I only work in "slow motion"...LOL

The model is a small tribute to Bruce Peterson (the actual pilot who crashed in the M2-F2 as depicted on the Six Million Dollar Man TV show), and Gerry Gentry who was an acquaintance of my Dad's. I always thought the HL-10 was the most elegant of the lifting body experimental designs.

Billy, thank you for providing the link to Jon Leslie's site. We were thinking of you when we created the "lines only" version.

I hope folks here will post pictures if they build the model. I'll be interested to see the results. My prototypes showed my impatience in determining fit.

A special thanks to Sidewinder and JAGolden for doing the test builds for us back in November.

hawkman67
06-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Steve, Thank You for sharing such a neat model! will go real well with my NB-52, will be nice to have something else besides the X-15 to sling under the wing.
Jeff

n810
06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
yeah, on the build list!

billy.leliveld
06-27-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm already thinking about some kitbash /scratch landinggear/ cockpit for it,
not to complain, but did you noticed that the version without colour has a better/ higher resolution than the coloured one

SAustin16
06-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi Billy,

I agree on the resolution problem...it's frustrating for the builders AND the designer.

The Lines Only came straight out of Pepakura, but for the colored version I needed to import into MSPaint to make some changes and it caused many of the lines to blur. I tried a number of times to find a better method.

I just got a version of PaintShopPro, so I'll try to make improvements with it, as well as add a better texture to the model.