PDA

View Full Version : How to make papercraft models

cardist
07-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi Folks,
I don't know if anyone has seen this before or of any posts, but it is certainly worth a look. Video tutorials on how it's done.

How to make Paper Craft Models | YAMAHA MOTOR (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/howto/index.html)

Happy modelling

Bernie

airdave
07-03-2010, 07:05 AM
The "PRACTICE SHEET" is a brilliant idea.
Why didn't I think of this.

The Basic and Practical Video instructions are amazing.
A first rate idea and presentation.

We must remember this stuff and push beginners there for some quick visual lesson!

peter taft
07-03-2010, 07:28 AM
Great idea... Perhaps make this a STICKY at THE WELCOME DESK ;)

bagpiper
07-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi Bernie
Thanks for sharing. This is one of those sites we have seen but never thought to post it. As stated it would be great if we could get this as a sticky. I love the way he puts the glue on with his finger. I have trouble enough trying to keep the glue off my models as it is.

Thanks for posting this.

Cheers
Jim

Don Boose
07-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I found these video tutorials to be exceptionally useful. I can't remember anything that provided so much useful information in a short time since Dan posted Carl's Golden Bear tutorials on basic techniques a few years ago.

I picked up some useful techniques, although I don't think I could ever get used to applying glue with my finger (I can imagine even more sticky thumbprints on my models than I already manage to produce) and believe that a dull knife blade or needle provides a better way for me to crease fold lines than a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted. Nonetheless, this is great stuff for beginners and for old duffers like me and very useful even for experienced model builders.

Don

rixtoys
08-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Using the index finger for gluing was different but made sense on edge parts. I liked the aluminum tube for curving. Really worth watching.

bh69bh
08-06-2010, 11:58 PM
nice tutorials, but I'm suprised they have missed some color retouching of model - white edges are terrible

2Kamser
08-07-2010, 03:15 AM

Totally agree

I found these video tutorials to be exceptionally useful. I can't remember anything that provided so much useful information in a short time since Dan posted Carl's Golden Bear tutorials on basic techniques a few years ago.

I picked up some useful techniques, although I don't think I could ever get used to applying glue with my finger (I can imagine even more sticky thumbprints on my models than I already manage to produce) and believe that a dull knife blade or needle provides a better way for me to crease fold lines than a mechanical pencil with the lead retracted. Nonetheless, this is great stuff for beginners and for old duffers like me and very useful even for experienced model builders.
Don

Using the index finger for gluing was different but made sense on edge parts. I liked the aluminum tube for curving. Really worth watching.

i use my pinky for that together with a stack of notes (like the ones you use beside the phone) to wipe excess glue off
i saw these clips as a beginner and got some very usefull tips on how to go about, so i really agree with Peter in making it a sticky

cMags
08-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Nice find, I love how in the first "practical" tutorial on the fuel tank they make a point to tell you to apply glue to the surface, *not* the glue tab, but then show glue being applied to the tab for *every* joint except the one they made the point on. :D

Agreed, or maybe Tips and Tricks. If you're OK with it 2Kamser, I can ask Rick to move this, I don't think it belongs in the Designer's Corner Tutorials forum anyway - this area is more for tutorials on how to design, not build.

Doubting Thomas
08-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for posting that. Great tips for everyone.
I usually use the white glue out of the container
with the tip closed way down so I can squeeze
about a 1 mm or 1/16" bead of glue onto the tabs.

Stev0
08-07-2010, 09:55 AM
nice tutorials, but I'm suprised they have missed some color retouching of model - white edges are terrible

Those tutorials are great. I agree about white edges. It pains me to see a great model assembled and the edges are either the color of the cardstock or colored improper.

johna
11-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Very nice. As a beginner this was (and is) very useful.

Epsilon9
09-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Curving with a rod... GENIUS!

richkat
09-04-2011, 06:36 PM
And to think a YAMAHA site! while your there check out the great models they have to offer, some VERY good models! and not just motorcycles!!....Rich

sporticus
03-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Nice videos...but why cut or score straight lines without a ruler.In the video they say to cut on the line not in or out, but because of not using a ruler they cut inside the line. When they are scoring a line they go way off the line.