PDA

View Full Version : Ever made a Working Paper Clock?

gmontag451
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I was just wondering the other day if anyone out there has ever built an actual *working* paper clock?

I have built the "Make Your Own Working Paper Clock" by James Smith Rudolph. I couldn't get it to work by itself, but it would move when coerced. Ultimately it ended up spinning out of control because the axles were too weak. It looks interesting but isn't elegant or anything.

I have also built the Wrebbit All-Paper Clock kit (it's actually pre-stamped cardboard) and the weights were so heavy they pulled it from the wall hook. I wasn't able to get this one to move at all, moving it by hand didn't work very well either. But it looks very classy on the wall (with weights emptied out) and was fun to build.

I also have the Wrebbit Medieval Clock kit but haven't had time to play with it yet.

I am curious to know other people's experiences, especially if they actually got one working!

Zathros
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Years ago I made a working paper clock. It had weights and a pendulum. It was in a book form. I purchased it at a tag sale. I used steel pins for the axles and it was accurate to within 20 minutes on the hour. This was many years ago and i don't remember the name. I though if someone made a little more effort (me) in cutting out the parts better and making sure everything was on center it would have worked better. It is possible and a really neat learning experience.

KCStephens
01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I now what you're talking about but I have enough trouble trying to make things that don't work.

Don Boose
01-11-2008, 05:44 AM
My son and I each have a paper clock about 1/5 completed and gathering dust on the shelf. Not because of any particular difficulty (yet), but because other models and projects intervened .. they are also mostly uncompleted.

This thread would tend to make me dust off the model and resume work, except that OldTroll is sending me this MM Handley-Page Hampden and . . .

Don

Lex
01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
From what I've seen I think it'll take some serious engineering stress analysis to make a paper clock work... A lot of them fail simply because one part or another fails during service

gmontag451
01-11-2008, 01:07 PM
I guess I could also say that I wouldn't expect a paper/cardboard clock to keep accurate time, I just hoped the ones I made would at least move on their own!

I know what you mean, Zathros!

B-Manic
01-12-2008, 11:59 AM
I have had the Wrebbit "Peace Tower" Model for about 10 -15 years. It has occupied a place of honour (unassembled) in my closet for this entire time.

668 die cut pieces
Metal & wood axles
a long piece of string
and illustrated instructions

Finished dimensions
Clock diameter 36.3 cm (14 1/4")
depth 16.2 cm (6 3/8")

I have read posts about Wrebbit clock builds on various forums. People have had varying degrees of success. Those who have managed to get them to work report, as previously stated, that they lose or gain about 20 minutes per day. The biggest problem reported is getting the gears to stay aligned. They apparently slide about on the axles. A little CA glue applied once they are in the correct position seems to fix this problem.

Pix of the actual clock and model box. BTW the Wrebbit clocks are regularly on ebay for reasonable prices.

I have just been informed by my wife that the clock must be built. She is tired of waiting. It was a gift from her and she does not care if it works or not. I will do it as a build thread ~ standby.

gjehrenstein
11-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Hello All,

I'm new at this. I just got a hand-me-down Wrabbit Medieval Clock kit. It appears to be complete, but no instructions :mad:.

If anyone has a set that they would be willing to loan, or copy for me (I'll pay for the copying and mailing), I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm an engineer by training, vocation, and avocation. I thought this would be neat to build.

gmontag451
11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
I still haven't even opened mine! However, where it is and how soon I could find it is another story! I will keep you in mind and get back to you as soon as I come across it. I actually do need to go in the basement and move things around pretty soon...

ct ertz
11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I think a working sun dial is more my speed!
CT

cMags
11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
There are a few sundial paper models kicking around... Some quick results:

Equatorial Sundial | Free Paper Models (http://papertoys.us/paper-models/equatorial-sundial)
Origami and Card models (http://leewm.freeshell.org/origami/)
Sundial - Natural Science - Science - Paper CraftCanon CREATIVE PARK (http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3151/sundial/index.html)

Keds_Girl_Lala
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a book to make the paper clock I buy from a second hand store. It does not look very inspiring but I pay $1 for it... It would help if it looked more like a clock

Thomas Meek
11-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Try this website: http://guru2.karakasa.com/ The owner "atom red" has a paper clock as well as those nifty Bosch monster critters and some other cool stuff.

Although I have not yet built it I have downloaded the files and I think it is the most promising of the paper clock kits I have seen.

I have built the James Rudolph paper clock many years ago, and it did work. It would run till the weight hit the floor, about 12 hours, but was not possible to regulate accurately. I found mine used on Abe books but at $1 you got a better deal!

I also have the Peace Tower clock designed by Andre Landry, published by Edition TicTac I think it is the same clock as the Wribbet version though. Beautiful, artistic and very frightening. I may build it one day, but probably the glue2 version first.

rickstef
11-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Thomas,

Next time you post an URL in your post, do not use the <> brackets, the forum software can parse the url into a clickable link.

It is always good etiquette to provide a link one can click on

Thomas Meek
11-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh, Thanks, Rick. I didn't know that. Sorry, and I won't use the <> any more.

SCEtoAUX
11-26-2009, 07:22 AM
I built the Recoil Anchor Escapement from GlueČ chronicle (http://guru2.karakasa.com/) as referenced above. It worked pretty good as long as you had it plumb and level. The ratcheting mechanism used to "wind" it is what really is impressive. I purchased the paper clock model and have it printed, but have not started it. It has been sitting around in the ever growing pile of printed/pre-printed model that will get done once I get a roundtuit. :D

Thomas Meek
11-26-2009, 10:37 AM
SCEtoAUX;
Yeah, I never seem to have enough of those roundtuits myself! Doesn't seem to affect my paper consumption though...

gmontag451
11-26-2009, 11:40 AM
cmags-

A better version of the Equatorial Sundial you suggested can be found here:
The Toy Shop – 20 Marvelous Mechanical Models that Really Work! Paper Modeling With The Toy Shop (http://mikeandlace.wordpress.com/2007/12/30/the-toy-shop/)

The download link is about a quarter of the way down.

(The link you provided is simply has scans from tiny thumbnails in the book. The link above has digital copies of all the model part files in the software. I could be biased, tho... :) )

Michael

2Kamser
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
you can take a battery operated clock and make a papermodel around it
i have one done from an old CD which i printed out the clockface on

gmontag451
12-14-2009, 02:11 PM
gjehrenstein-

Hi, I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me, hopefully you will see this.

I just found the manual for the Medieval clock if you still want it; it's about 85 pages. I could mail you a photocopy or email you a scanned copy. It wouldn't cost anything for me to scan it, but it would take longer. No hurries, let me know if you still want it!

-Michael

jleslie48
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
I would put quotes around the word working though, I built it, but I've got a lot of work to do with the mechanics of it to get it to work:

http://jleslie48.com/others/clock08640.jpg

doctormax
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't know how they could work my dad fixed watches and clocks and he did have some paper clock hanging around the house when I was young and it never worked. ;)

Thomas Meek
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
That is just Too Cool! I love it.

gjehrenstein
12-15-2009, 04:02 AM
Hello Michael, Scans of the manual would be GREAT. No rush at all. Once I figure out how to PM, I'll send you my Email address.

Many thanks, Gabe (:-}>

SCEtoAUX
12-15-2009, 07:11 AM
A while back I built a paper model that had an escapement type movement. The thing did not work very good at first, but hardening the gear teeth with CA glue improved the operation a lot. Even then it did not work good all of the time. Perhaps it was the changing temperature and humidity from day to day that affected it.

Hardening the gear teeth also allowed the filing of the teeth so the contact points between the gears could be fine tuned.

You also need to insure the model is plumb and level for proper operation. Very important.

TheBlueRoseKnight
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Is there a free version of "Make Your Own Working Paper Clock" by James Smith Rudolph Books?

lepercan
12-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Sun dials are cool. I was working at a rural school many years ago when they had to cut down a pine in the "front yard" between the school and the highway which happened to be on the south side of the building. My students and I had the men cut it about ten feet tall and tapered it into a sundial that displayed on the wall of the gym. Very cool.

Inventor
04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
I have found a Paper clock plan while wandering the internet. I am unsure of it's origin. I believe it is in Japanese symbols. I have contacted the Email address on one of the pages but, no reply yet. I cannot be sure if it is a pirated site or not and will not do anything with it until I receive some type of response. If anyone can read Japanese symbols? I would appreciate tracking this down to either buy it or see if it is public domain. Any help would be appreciated

martyr366
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM
I also need instructions or a peek at some.

Spar
04-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I also just started building the paper clock book kit. Actually, I started 3 weeks ago, and only got half the frame done because it's over at my girlfriends house. It will be hers when I get it done after I show it off at the local IPMS club (it was given to me by one of the clubmembers).

The instructions are tedious with a few illustrations showing completed sections for several building steps at a time, but all the pieces have labels as to where the tabs from other parts are to be glued to it. However, I do intend to use wooden dowels in place of the pins and paper axles.

simon black
08-03-2011, 01:51 AM
i have made a wrebbit paper clack, the peace tower and it worked very well, i've been trying to find another one but i just found out it's a hard one to find:mad::rolleyes::confused:, but we all know paper don't last long, the waights weeken the frame over time, i used 20 lb test fishing line for the waight, and it worked great, the clock looked very nice on the wall, i wish i could get a new one, i've seen other clock but don't like them at all, the peace tower is the nices one i've seen, but that's me, the clock looks like a old clock just ticing away untill it stop in time, it worked for about 1 year then you need to do some work to keep it going, it worked for 5 years, if i had a scaner i would have scaned the parts, but if you have one and never made it do it, working or not they look great on your wall

simon black
08-03-2011, 02:02 AM
I have had the Wrebbit "Peace Tower" Model for about 10 -15 years. It has occupied a place of honour (unassembled) in my closet for this entire time.

668 die cut pieces
Metal & wood axles
a long piece of string
and illustrated instructions

Finished dimensions
Clock diameter 36.3 cm (14 1/4")
depth 16.2 cm (6 3/8")

I have read posts about Wrebbit clock builds on various forums. People have had varying degrees of success. Those who have managed to get them to work report, as previously stated, that they lose or gain about 20 minutes per day. The biggest problem reported is getting the gears to stay aligned. They apparently slide about on the axles. A little CA glue applied once they are in the correct position seems to fix this problem.

Pix of the actual clock and model box. BTW the Wrebbit clocks are regularly on ebay for reasonable prices.

I have just been informed by my wife that the clock must be built. She is tired of waiting. It was a gift from her and she does not care if it works or not. I will do it as a build thread ~ standby.
i hade the same clock, the waight weekens the paper, i't a graet looking clock working or not on the wall, i put up a post about the one i hade, and i thing the peace tower is the best one i seen, so put it together and put it on the wall, it will look great

rebelatsea
08-04-2011, 05:44 AM
I've tried twice - and never got so much as a "Tik" never mind a "Tok".

glounsbury
08-04-2011, 02:04 PM
To CT - - - Canon papercraft has a working sundial that is even adjustable for your latitude.

To others - - - The Rudolph clock (ISBN 0-06-091066-6) will work. Mine did for about 2 days. Friction is the initial enemy and when added to even minor warping the situation becomes intolerable. Suggest you try unprocessed paper (wood) that is not as bad.

George

martyr366
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a medevil Wrebbit clock without instructions. I would love to build it but I am not sure how. I guess I would be happy to get rid of it. ([email protected])
I have thought long and hard about the weak paper bearings that hold the weights. I wonder if using 5 min epoxy or CA glue to saturate then harden the paper. We used this trick making exhibits to reinforce the pages on 3 ring binder books.
I am building the paper airplanes and wonder if there is a quick dry glue to set up quickly. I get cramps holding the pieces while they dry.

papermama
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum so...

Paper Clock Link, Pirated model, Link removed

I downloaded that...
Does anyone know if it is the complete clock or just part of the clock?

Also the glue2 chronicle paper clock is just so pretty. I totally want it...just don't feel like dropping the $25 on a maybe.
"atom" has a couple of free gears...
has anyone tried those?

How do these two clocks rate?

Many thanks

rickstef
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Papermama,

I removed the link, because the file is the whole clock, but a very bad scan.

If you want to build this clock, then I would recommend going to Amazon, and buying a clean copy

Amazon.com: Make Your Own Working Paper Clock (9780060910662): James Smith Rudolph: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Working-Paper-Clock/dp/0060910666/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312756383&sr=8-1)

Rick

Zathros
08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Many many years ago, I purchased a book of a paper clock. I am not sure if it was this one, but I can tell you it was before the internet existed, at least in some way that remotely resembles today. it also seems unless this is the same thread, this questions pops up regularly.

As I made the model I realized it would have to be re-enforced. I used Popsicle sticks, cut down to the appropriate size, for this.

The clock definitely worked. I would not try using it for navigation, as you would probably end up in Andromeda. Not having built a paper clock before, I did not realize the kind of wear and tear the gears would take from the minutes of operation. Far into it's life, around three minutes, I noticed it was off by about 2 minutes. I made the appropriate adjustments and proceeded chase the accuracy around for the rest of the clocks life, which was around 10 minutes. In the end the accuracy was uncanny, like clockwork (no pun intended, wait, that's not a pun), it was dead on accurate, twice a day.

I think if I made this again, I would use some kind of hardener of the release mechanism, and the gears, and shafts as these parts just do not like being made out of paper. Actually, if I ever did this again, I think would make the whole thing out of unrealized paper (wood), and go from there.

Paper Clocks do work. You will learn how this type of clock functions, in a very intimate manner if you make this.. Just don't plan on keeping time with it. Makes a lovely display piece, and how many people make clocks these days?:)

DEATH ANGELS
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
The Wrebbit clock is on febay now. The box looks a little ratty.

papermama
08-08-2011, 06:14 AM
good to know...
Sorry about that link.
I think I'll buy the Glue2 one as that one is prettier but I think it will help my homeschooler learn about gears...time...mechanics and all that good stuff.

Many thanks.

imavingalaughaswell
08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
you can all have this one for fre when i eventually finish the design and test build ....
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-builds/13045-working-card-clock-design-build.html

And does anyone else see all the text below? i try to delete it then when i hit preview it comes back???
it also comes back if i use the "edit post" ,select it , delete it , hit save and its back ....annoying!!
**also included a screenshot*

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasque BelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hDetect language » English

AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBe larusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchG alicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis h⇄AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasque BelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstoni anFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreek Haitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrish ItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedon ianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRom anianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSw edishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddis hDetect language » English