PDA

View Full Version : Another FG Model hits the stash

treadhead1952
08-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi All,

I have been tinkering about with Fiddlers Green buildings for a while and while enjoying adding to my stash of built up models for a future rail road layout, sometimes I come across an odd one. In this case, a model of the Robert Burns' Cottage caught my eye. The original is in Scotland in a small park around the places that the Poet wrote about in some of his best loved poems. It has been restored to what it looked like in his early days and features local folks dressed in period costumes showing it and related structures and a small museum to the public.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmRBC001.jpg

While the model loosely resembles the structure, it isn't an exact copy by any stretch of the imagination. But it is still an enjoyable little model to build and can be accomplished in a couple of hours by even the most inexperienced. I like to take an extra copy or two and section the buildings I make by opening up windows, doors and other features then adding a piece behind and/or in front of these openings to give them a more 3D appearance. Since the model doesn't really resemble the original that closely, I just chose to make it as a small country cottage with a little landscaping added. The curved shape of the building was used to make it conform to the bit of land along a curve in the road where it is in reality. I added a pair of concrete pads to the front of the two front doors since the model had a step up to reach the level of the doors printed on the piece.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmRBC003.jpg

Since there were a few things printed on the sides, front and back of the buildings walls such as bushes, a box, sacks, an old fashioned wooden pitchfork and a broom, I used landscaping materials, tissue and parts of the spare pieces that I printed out as well as some styrene rod and strip to make these parts and add them to the places where they were printed. It adds to the 3D look and covers up the printed bits on the walls.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmRBC005.jpg

Since the back door to the place was at the ground level and had no step printed at its' bottom, I chose to model a gravel path with shrubs edging it. I also added a small tree to sort of break up the back yard a bit. Shrubs were used to divide the property into a front and rear yard for visual interest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/treadhead1952/EmRBC004.jpg

rixtoys
08-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice work. Great landscaping.

treadhead1952
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks Rixtoys,

I do like these simple little FG kits, they are a welcome relief from other more intense builds like ships or aircraft. Tinkering around with the landscaping is just practice for when I add them to a model rail road layout.

peter taft
08-03-2010, 04:56 PM
Very nice building and all the little extras really do help bring it to life. I have had many many hours of enjoyment with railway buildings... the little bits here and there seem to draw you in, you become part of the thing you are building - i used to look though the windows to try and get a perspective to the outside world from within the model. Nice work treadhead1952

treadhead1952
08-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks Peter,

I do have fun building up these little building kits from Fiddlers' Green, as simple as they are, adding a little depth to them improves the look. I use my camera to get a feeling for how they will look on the rail road layout later on. Another nice thing about the FG models is that you can print some out in Z Scale to use to force perspective on an N Scale layout in close quarters or narrow spaces. Others that are larger can be printed out and assembled as flats or with less than their full depth to add back ground to the layout.

jagolden01
08-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Nice! That will look great on your layout.

peter taft
08-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks Peter,

I do have fun building up these little building kits from Fiddlers' Green, as simple as they are, adding a little depth to them improves the look. I use my camera to get a feeling for how they will look on the rail road layout later on. Another nice thing about the FG models is that you can print some out in Z Scale to use to force perspective on an N Scale layout in close quarters or narrow spaces. Others that are larger can be printed out and assembled as flats or with less than their full depth to add back ground to the layout.

I wish i still had my layout.. it went all the way round our dining room {with the help of two drop in boards. Have you ever seen one of the live steam Z Scale loco's.. they are superb. If i was to start over, i would go for N or Z and not the OOHO Scale, i had a one foot depth to work on, and a tad deeper in the corner structures. My layout is here :
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/railway-related-builds/4586-railway-layout.html Hope you like it.

doctormax
08-04-2010, 11:12 AM
nice build the bard of scotland a few lines i remember

to a mouse.

I'm truly sorry Man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
An' fellow-mortal!

Why do I recall them lines twenty odd years after the exam maybe its they are the way I think.

rixtoys
08-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Nice layout. Where all your buildings paper?

peter taft
08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Nice layout. Where all your buildings paper?

Hi.. if that question was for me then - 1} thanks for the kind remark and 2} Yes the buildings were all paper/card models with clear plastic inserts for the widows. If the quetion wasn't meant for me, i apologise :rolleyes: i think that Jay's building has a far more natural look than those on my layout, i know they're different buildings, but i really like Jay's work here.

Don Boose
08-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Very fine rendition of the Robert Burns cottage, Jay. I like all the FG buildings and had a good time a few years ago building many of these early ones with the grandsons.

Nice change from WWII USN warships!

And an appropriate reminder of the wee, sleekit, cow'ring, tim'rous beastie, doctormax.

Don

rixtoys
08-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Hi Peter yes the question was for you. Your layout buildings look great. So does the Burns cottage. Paper buildings are versatile. I never really looked at how well they fit in to a scene before :)

treadhead1952
08-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks Guys, and thanks Peter for the look at your most excellent layout, I always enjoy checking out things train related.

Gee, I never realized we had such a cultured lot here! Quotations from Robert Burns works no less. I would add a line or two, but I am afraid that it would cause my old English Lit teacher to turn into a whirling dervish in her grave.:eek::D

I have a couple other buildings that I have cast my eye upon that I will be tossing out shortly from Fiddlers' Green and I have discovered that we have a couple of sections set aside for such things so I will add the threads for them there.

peter taft
08-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks Guys, and thanks Peter for the look at your most excellent layout, I always enjoy checking out things train related.

Gee, I never realized we had such a cultured lot here! Quotations from Robert Burns works no less. I would add a line or two, but I am afraid that it would cause my old English Lit teacher to turn into a whirling dervish in her grave.:eek::D

I have a couple other buildings that I have cast my eye upon that I will be tossing out shortly from Fiddlers' Green and I have discovered that we have a couple of sections set aside for such things so I will add the threads for them there.

Glad you like the layout, and look forward to more of your builds for sure :)

peter taft
08-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi Peter yes the question was for you. Your layout buildings look great. So does the Burns cottage. Paper buildings are versatile. I never really looked at how well they fit in to a scene before :)

Thanks. I think at the end of the day, it's all down to a good imagination of a scene, and fiddle around till you are happy with the look. The model presented here by Jay, has me walking in the countryside just looking at it. You get to feel that there is someone living there. The layout i had, used many LOW RELIEF buildings... these are like having just the front of the building with enough depth for the 3D effect. Some are full buildings like Jay's cottage - but not half as nice, he has put a lot of work in to his build to get a great look.