PDA

View Full Version : 1/48 scale space shuttle

richkat
08-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Hi, hope all is well with all. I have had the great pleasure of building Ton's 1/48 Saturn V, Gemini-Titan, Soyuz. I also have a Mercury-Redstone in the same scale, what I need now is a is a Mercury-Atlas and a Space Shuttle. Does anyone out there know of any good models of said craft in 1/48?? Please let me know if you do. Thank you all,happy building.

Retired_for_now
08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
You can find a 1:48 Mercury-Atlas at Surfduke's http://www.mos95b.com/ - click on the "other projects" and follow the Mercury link - and a 1:96 Mercury Atlas at Nielspapermodels - links (http://www.nielspapermodels.com/links.htm) about half way down in the archives section. Can't recall seeing a larger one.
Let's see, a 1:48 shuttle would be ... absolutely insane! What are ye thinkin'?

Yogi

KieferRhys
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Let's not get too hasty, Colonel, a 1/48 shuttle would be 78cm long, which is on par with the SR-71 Blackbird being discussed on other threads.
There was a 1/100 shuttle posted on the Lower Hudson Valley site, but the link doesn't reach the model anymore, that I could find. If it was the one I remember, then upscaling by 208% would still have been a challenging, well presentable model.

richkat
08-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Oh come on now! I allready have a SEVEN FOOT TALL Saturn V!! a 1/48 Space Shuttle would be sooooooo cool!

peter taft
08-16-2010, 05:22 PM
I agree with the 1:48 scale stack would be WAY cool :) so why not go here
The Lower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop - Download - Post Apollo (http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_postapollo.html) - scroll to the best of the models available, then up-scale to your hearts content :D Go on..... you know you want to ;)

Hans Christian
08-21-2010, 04:17 AM
hmmm... 1/48 scale... there is one out there that does exist, made by a Japanese guy (and it's a freebie)...

I can't find the link though

richkat
08-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Went to Lower Hudson site to find (then enlarge)the 1/100 scale Shuttle,but the link is broken to the model. Went to the contact link at lower Hudson and told them about link and Jonathan Leslie was very nice to send me a personal e-mail with a link to the model!!want to thank him very much. have allways be very pleased with all my dealing with the Lower Hudson Valley site!! the link there is Home Page di MARS Center -= Microgravity Advanced Research and Support Center =- (http://web.archive.org/web/20080614065853/www.marscenter.it/ita/veicol.asp?pa=6054)

peter taft
08-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Went to Lower Hudson site to find (then enlarge)the 1/100 scale Shuttle,but the link is broken to the model. Went to the contact link at lower Hudson and told them about link and Jonathan Leslie was very nice to send me a personal e-mail with a link to the model!!want to thank him very much. have allways be very pleased with all my dealing with the Lower Hudson Valley site!! the link there is Home Page di MARS Center -= Microgravity Advanced Research and Support Center =- (http://web.archive.org/web/20080614065853/www.marscenter.it/ita/veicol.asp?pa=6054)

Great stuff....:) So now you have up-scaled are you going to give us the thrill of a build thread ? Hope so. Have fun and ENJOY... :D

2Kamser
08-21-2010, 09:16 AM
1/48 Shuttle - right up my alley :D
this will be interesting

jleslie48
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
as my link to the 1:100 shuttle is down, and I hate having to chase down links when they change, I would love a 1:48 or 1:96 shuttle that I could host directly on the lhvcc egiftshop.

richkat
08-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Went to the site and downloaded the model, now to find a way to enlarge it. Then on to the build! will try to keep up the posts, wish me luck guys.....Rich

Bengt Fredén
08-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi there,

A 1:48 scale space shuttle orbiter . . ? That'll be a big 'un!

I resized the 1:100 scale Fortezza Atlantis orbiter for A3 European size printer paper, which renders it somewhere in the neighborhood of 1:72.

However, there was in fact a Japanese model (rather simple, all white) of the orbiter, that was 1:50 scale. I'll see if I can find it.

PM me your e-mail eddress, and I will surely send it to you, if I can locate it on one of my separate drives. I think it was a pdf - hundreds of pages...

All the best,
Bengt in Sweden :D

mspacemike
08-22-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm looking forward to see how you will build the 1:48 scale Shuttle, and which version. I have the Fortezza model that I am building at the moment and should get back too (lots of honey-do's and trying to fix things around the house. I did fix the tv, new chips soldered in and it is like new. The printer is next, then the garage door, etc....). Though this is not the right thread, my shuttle is 1:33, so that I can pose it with Ken's X-15 and SR-71. The Fortezza model does not have the landing gear or the cockpit, but that can be fixed. A few pics to show my progress so far.

richkat
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
WOW!! and they said i was crazy to want a 1/48 Shuttle,you have to be MAD to want a 1/33 scale one.......I LOVE IT!!!!....are you going to build the full stack?...Rich

dhanners
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
A 1/33rd-scale Orbiter will be quite an accomplishment, and I look forward to seeing your progress. Which OV are you building? I take it you're building an early-era Orbiter....

2Kamser
08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
i,m beginning to feel like my testbuild of Greelt's Saturn V in A3 format is small in comparison to what you guys are up to :D

Retired_for_now
08-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Though this is not the right thread, my shuttle is 1:33,

Question for you and richkat. Are you printing on large sheets with a print shop or is there an easy way (poster print?) to get the enlarged parts onto a standard sized paper (8.5x11, etc.) and then piece things together?

Yogi

peter taft
08-23-2010, 04:29 PM
Went to the site and downloaded the model, now to find a way to enlarge it. Then on to the build! will try to keep up the posts, wish me luck guys.....Rich

Hey... you don't need luck - you will do fine ;) , and we will enjoy :). Yogi had a good question there... are you going to up-scale by percentage or poster print on to A4 sheets and join them all up ? Well you asked for it... GOOD LUCK and have FUN... Dive in :D

Damraska
08-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh come on now! I allready have a SEVEN FOOT TALL Saturn V!! a 1/48 Space Shuttle would be sooooooo cool!

Awesome project. A rocket farm centered around a 7' Saturn V would look very impressive. The Mars Center shuttle includes a full stack version. You should definitely build that. :)

Though this is not the right thread, my shuttle is 1:33, so that I can pose it with Ken's X-15 and SR-71.

Another awesome project. I've contemplated building smaller real spacecraft in 1:33 but never a shuttle. The Hobby Model U-2 would make a good addition to your fleet.

-Doug

richkat
08-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking of going to a print shop to have it printed..think the end result would look better than tile type printing? never done this before so not shure how to go about it. Does anyone out there know of a good place to get an enlargement made(in U.S.) I'll need to enlarge it by 208% (if my math is right) so that means about 18x24? thats a big pc. of paper, maybe print on trimed down poster board?............Rich

dhanners
08-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking of going to a print shop to have it printed..think the end result would look better than tile type printing? never done this before so not shure how to go about it. Does anyone out there know of a good place to get an enlargement made(in U.S.) I'll need to enlarge it by 208% (if my math is right) so that means about 18x24? thats a big pc. of paper, maybe print on trimed down poster board?............Rich

I generally get mine done at FexEx/Kinko's since there's one a couple of blocks away, but I would think any decent copying shop would be able to handle it. If you do go to a place like Kinko's, have them use the machines behind the counter because they tend to be better than the machines in the "public use" area.

Usually, I'll take my files in on a thumb drive and tell them what percentage I need it enlarged or reduced, and ask them about paper choices.

Keep in mind this route is going to cost you some (especially when most of us cardmodelers get our models for free) but it isn't too onerous when you compare it to what a styrene modeler pays for a decent kit these days. The Fortezza Orbiter could run into "onerous" territory, though, because there are a lot of parts on a lot of pages. I usually get a couple of copies of each sheet so I'll have a spare in case I screw up a part.

richkat
08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Yep I used Office Depot to enlarge a Yamaha YZF 1000 that i got from the Yamaha site,only cost me about 7 dollars, not bad! had two copies made for spares.Also did a R2D2 there he's about 10" tall, realy like that one! Kind of played around with Coreldraw but I'm not very good with that program.tryed to enlarge with tile printing but didn't look very good, think it will work much better just printed on one sheet..........Rich

willispsu
08-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Such an excellent idea for a 1/48 scale Space Shuttle. Now of course with the full stack, we would need the corresponding Crawler/Transporter and the Mobile Launch Platform. For the stacks, I think with enough interior support rings, the tank and boosters would be no problem, just a lot of Strathmore sheets and Glue !! Has anyone done a fleet of shuttle full stack in all of the scales or Shuttle missions in any scale?

Take care,,, Willis

Bengt Fredén
08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

After some searching over at Zealot, I found the page with the PDFs of the GIANT all-white 1:50 scale shuttle, that was designed by Japanese modeler Hisato Shimada. It consists of no less than 60 pages! :eek:

You will find the PDFs for direct download under the 2nd post by edkeffel:
Delta 7 Shuttle - Page 4 - Zealot Hobby Forum (http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143277&highlight=Japanese+1%3A50+shuttle&page=4)

Have a look at the images in the instruction 'guide', and you will get a picture of how many single parts there are, that make up the fuselage, wings, tail fin, OMS pods, main engines, etc, etc.

I remember seeing some photos of a build of this model a couple of years ago, where the modeler (a French guy, I think) had used thick card for reinforcements for most of the internal parts; formers, spars, bulkheads, etc.
I guess it's a must for a model of this size.

I have PM:ed you by the way, Richard, with the same link as above. Good luck with your 1:50 scale orbiter model!

All the best,
Bengt :D

richkat
08-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Went to FedEx kinko's to see about enlarging my shuttle.....THEY ONLY WANTED $20 A SHEET TO DO IT!!!! Thats what, somewhere around $200 for the 10 pages of the Shuttle oh, plus the booster and tank stack.....ARE THEY KIDDING?? Man there told me they could print up to 35" wide and as long as i need, for $20 a square foot. 208% enlargement of a 8.5x11 is a little over 1.2 square feet.Dang anyone know some good Lotto numbers?? Guess I'll have to find a way to tile print it......Rich

2Kamser
08-28-2010, 02:59 AM
try posterazor, it can give you almost as many pages you want :)
just beware that the joints might not be as good as was it in one piece though

Retired_for_now
08-28-2010, 08:11 AM
You know, Bengt - I think that's why I don't build big in card. By the time you do all the reinforcing needed you end up with a paper skinned model (I could just go out to the shop and build/carve a wood or foam frame and skin it).

I think I enjoy the origami aspect of card most - the way the tension in the paper makes smooth curves, folds provide straight lines, and the whole thing just supports itself and pulls the pieces into a complex shape. The BIG-ISS was less satisfying than building the 2-foot version for that reason - the 8-foot space station was really structured around the supporting PVC pipe truss and just skinned with paper.

That said - richkat - if you want a big one then just DO IT!

Yogi

BTW: the companion ISS in 1:48 scale would be a 167% enlargement of the BIG-ISS in the download section for a 13+ foot (4 m) span across the truss. I'd recommend a larger PVC pipe size for the armature or maybe go to aluminum tubing ...

SJPONeill
08-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Went to FedEx kinko's to see about enlarging my shuttle.....THEY ONLY WANTED $20 A SHEET TO DO IT!!!! Thats what, somewhere around $200 for the 10 pages of the Shuttle oh, plus the booster and tank stack.....ARE THEY KIDDING?? Man there told me they could print up to 35" wide and as long as i need, for $20 a square foot. 208% enlargement of a 8.5x11 is a little over 1.2 square feet.Dang anyone know some good Lotto numbers?? Guess I'll have to find a way to tile print it......Rich

Maybe shop around some...a couple of years back, I enlarged scale plans for my Avro Vulcan build (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/other-things-we-do-make/8364-heritage-aviation-1-32-avro-vulcan.html) from 1/72 and 1/96 to 1/32...total cost on A) size sheets was only NZ$56 or about US$40...that was for B&W though but I don't think the colour price was that astronomical...

willispsu
08-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi everyone,
I was poking around the internet after work to relax and came across this website that makes full scale 1:1 soace shuttles.
It may not be of paper, however a paper version would cost a great deal less than the site's model. I stopped counting the "0's" when i reached seven digits. ok, a full mock up is "around $2.2 million.:eek:

I figure if we can get the diagrams and tech specifications and plans from them, and we all take about a two square foot section and combine the efforts, I think we will have a new world record for the largest paper model anywhere! I'm not sure on this but it sounds about right. I figure by each of us taking a section like that, then that will help to keep the costs and time down to a semi-managable level.

willispsu
08-31-2010, 05:37 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure if the link made it in my last post of the shuttle full scale. so here it is:

Full Scale Space Shuttle or Shuttle Nose - Full Scale Replicas (http://www.spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=RFS13)

-Willis

richkat
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
hey Willis398, I think your on to something there. I think there are about 11936 members on this site,your guess of about 2 square feet is about right! Now where do we build it, I can say for sure my wife has about reached her limit on my models(she asked if she should move out so me and my "models" could be alone)...so what about your place?? Hey it'll look so cool sitting in your front yard don't you think?......Rich

mspacemike
08-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering, regular work gets in the way of what I really want to do.

richkat -
Did not plan to build the full stack, not enough room in my basement engineering room. Putting it together the cheapest way that I know of, by tiling it after enlarging and using my printer on cardstock. I had to rearrange several components to get them to print on 8.5 X 11 size sheets. On really large pieces I use 8.5 X 17. For unusual objects, I have an old Canon printer with a straight feed thru that will do t-shirts (but I haven't tried this).

dhanners -
The ship I printed out was the OV-099 Challenger, because I wanted something colorful with a TDRS-B in the bay. The vertical stablizer did not have the drag chute, and the markings are not completed yet on my copy. I will need to fix that.

I like my models with a theme, or a scale that I can put with other models for size comparisons.

Damraska -
Now you've just added the U-2 to my list, darn!

Recent developments shown below with the OMS Pod. I still get a thrill with this section of the shuttle. One day I walked out on the production floor at work and right smack in the middle of one of these with the shell taken off. I fell in love with all the piping and wiring exposed (I'm that kind of guy, .....really). It was bigger than my first house.

Groovin_Fusion
08-31-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure if the link made it in my last post of the shuttle full scale. so here it is:

Full Scale Space Shuttle or Shuttle Nose - Full Scale Replicas (http://www.spacetoys.com/proddetail.php?prod=RFS13)

-Willis

I'm almost afraid to find out how much something like this would cost.

richkat
09-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow the wife saves the day!! could not find out how "tile" print a enlarged (208%) shuttle. then my great wife Kathy (feeling sorry for me i think) found out and showed me how to do it in corelDRAW, turns out it's very easy...I think she just wanted to see how bad i realy wanted to build that big monster!! (even though she still says "JUST WHERE ARE YOU PLANING TO PUT THAT THING!).....Rich

2Kamser
09-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Wow the wife saves the day!! could not find out how "tile" print a enlarged (208%) shuttle. then my great wife Kathy (feeling sorry for me i think) found out and showed me how to do it in corelDRAW, turns out it's very easy...I think she just wanted to see how bad i realy wanted to build that big monster!! (even though she still says "JUST WHERE ARE YOU PLANING TO PUT THAT THING!).....Rich

I can say for sure my wife has about reached her limit on my models(she asked if she should move out so me and my "models" could be alone)

let's just hope she isn't helping you with more space... :eek::D

richkat
09-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey, 2Kamser you might be on to something...Do you think it might be a cunning plan on her part to get rid of me??.....Rich

HMCS
12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
on yahoo groups there is a "space paper models" group,.. there is a guy on there building a 1/48 scale shuttle,.. the exhaust cones are amazing,.. he is building it in stages (no pun intended) once you sign in click on the files link,.

richkat
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
HMCS what is this yahoo groupe you speek of??....Rich

Spaceguy5
12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's a link:
Space-Paper-Models : space paper models (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Space-Paper-Models/)

I've been following that shuttle model for a while. It looks similar to the Fortezza shuttle (Which itself is copied from another model <_<), only more detailed. I can't wait for it to be completed.

HMCS
12-29-2010, 07:40 AM
yes thats the one,.. the cones are awesome,.. I believe there is even a 1/48th orange suit pilot?

Spaceguy5
12-29-2010, 09:14 PM
The 1/48 pilot is already released. Index of /tb_astronaut (http://jleslie48.com/tb_astronaut/)

Regie
12-30-2010, 04:27 AM
Hi all,

After some searching over at Zealot, I found the page with the PDFs of the GIANT all-white 1:50 scale shuttle, that was designed by Japanese modeler Hisato Shimada. It consists of no less than 60 pages! :eek:

You will find the PDFs for direct download under the 2nd post by edkeffel:
Delta 7 Shuttle - Page 4 - Zealot Hobby Forum (http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143277&highlight=Japanese+1%3A50+shuttle&page=4)

Have a look at the images in the instruction 'guide', and you will get a picture of how many single parts there are, that make up the fuselage, wings, tail fin, OMS pods, main engines, etc, etc.

Bengt :D

I've been building that model, off and on, for two years now. It's an awesome beast and a fantastic model. I'm glad you posted this though Bengt, because I'd forgotten where I got it from!

obiyan19
12-30-2010, 04:49 AM
the shimada shuttle can be downloaded here:

paperSTS‚Ěƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh : Vector ƒ\ƒtƒg‚đ’T‚ˇI (http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/data/home/se281143.html)

the website of the autor:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022248/mokei.html