PDA

View Full Version : James Webb Space Telescope (again) at 1:48 scale

Retired_for_now
08-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Well,
As I said elsewhere. One of the display models of the James Webb Space Telescope needs replacing (three others, I think, still going strong). So, the compulsives kicked in and I decided I needed to get the scale right for the display at the planetarium (I'll use the one that's there already to replace the busted one - what goes around comes around). Hubble is 1:48 and JWST needs to match that to properly show the relative size (sometimes bigger is just better). Of course that gives me a chance (arghhh) to fix a few more inaccuracies based on the latest info posted by NASA (still corresponding with them about adding this model to their education/outreach program - the cosmologists working COBE/WMAP are obviously working on a longer - cosmological? - time scale). The James Webb Space Telescope (http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/public.html)

So, we started with a fairly simple representation from NASA - still lots of parts to craft. The rework does not substantially increase the parts count (important for educational models intended to motivate).

NASA on right - scale is 1:60 based on the primary mirror size, sunshade undersized in proportion.

The first design effort tweaked a few parts and added color from the NASA CAD depictions. The latest batch of artists' representations and pictures allows a few more corrections.

Specifically, a few details on the spacecraft bus will get worked (appears to be solar panels on the sides of the bus and the baseplate is assymetrical); the sunshade enlarged to match the drawings; support beams resized to match the sunshade; solar panel and momentum flap resized and detailed as well; backplane assembly cut down a bit and repainted; graphics added for support structure on the back of the primary mirror; Integrated Science Instrument Module (ISIM) box recolored; and the aft optics module redone.

So, the bus and panels. After enlarging everthing to 125% to adjust the scale, the bus recolor was straightforward. The panels required additional resizing based on the available pictures and some detailing (thank you jagolden for the technique you used on the Big ISS panels).

The original backplane was visually dominant - extending to the edge of the primary mirror. The actual part is a set of box beams with hinged outer sections (three outside mirror segments), a complex cradle to hold the mirrors, and a set of covers over a portion of the works. I wasn't quite up for that much work, so I settled for resizing the backplane so it doesn't dominate the mirror.

Yogi

Retired_for_now
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Rescaling the sunshade to match the JWST site pictures results in parts that require two sheets (plain bond-20lb paper) for each layer. The first version was just an enlargement of the orginal part/shape.

Further measurement shows the sunshade tapers to the same width at both ends and is wider in the middle. Back end (behind the mirror) should also be longer (slightly) than the front. So a redo.

The front of the mirror was unchanged, but I looked to duplicate the actual mirror mounting structure with graphics on the backside (some more work to do to put the mirror mounts and the supporting truss on the front face of the backplane box - won't be visible but will provide a guide for serious detailers to actually build the structure in lieu of the backplane-box). The mirror is shaped by cutting a slit from the center to the bottom edge and overlapping just enough to hold a glue seam - make a very flat conic. The back is slit in the same manner, glue on the backside of the front surface, then apply the back to ensure the curvature matches.

Yogi (always looking for a better idea ...)

Retired_for_now
08-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Assembly is straightforward. The spreader bars attach to the tabs on the corners of the sunshade.

The bus and supporting struts are glued to the bottom of the sunshield stack and the spreader bars - a supporting jig helps in getting the parts together.

The main support strut goes in.

The mirror and instrument box comes together. Center hexagon of the mirror array has been cut out to fit the secondary optics assembly.

The curved mirror is supported by a laminated ring - not very accurate and another thing to think about for further modification.

Yogi (still looking for better ideas ...)

Retired_for_now
08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Attaching the secondary mirror is also straightforward, if a little fiddly. The struts have tabs on them that reach around to the back of the secondary mirror on one end, while the other end attaches to marked spots on the backplane.

Also visible is the squared-off secondary optics portal in the center of the mirror.

Slip the completed mirror/instrument assembly on the main support strut, glue on the top shield of the instrument housing and you're done.

Smaller disk is a to-scale representation of the Hubble's primary mirror. The increased size of JWST is obvious.

Yogi

Paper Kosmonaut
08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Nice work, Yogi. And a good improvement, so to see. I really like the detailing. Perhaps the backstructure lattucework is a nice thing to build for those non-purists among us who also use plastic and metal... (-; You provide them with a good starting point anyway.

Retired_for_now
08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Perhaps the backstructure lattucework is a nice thing to build for those non-purists among us who also use plastic and metal... (-; You provide them with a good starting point anyway.

The overall idea was to improve the NASA JWST product and produce a better display:

A bit more work on the graphics gave me a better representation of the mirror support truss and mirror brackets (backplane).

Here's the deal - if you built it simple you just glue the two mirror flats together (or just use the front) and glue that to the face of the backplane. The only detailing visible is on the back of the backplane and the mirror faces. Or, you curve the mirror and glue it to the back plane - still losing most of the detailing. I did work out a simpler way to mount the mirror - better than the laminated ring. Just cut a big hole in those nice new graphics (couldn't bear to throw the cutting away) and glue the mirror into the hole.

And, back to your point. The graphics do provide enough detail to build up the truss (probably laminate up some beams and piece together), the mirror brackets (laminate to thick card and cut out all but the ovals and their connections), the box-shields covering the back of the brackets, and the lower shade. You - and you know who I'm talking about - could also laminate the mirror to some thick card/foam board and cut out the individual mirror segments for mounting ...

Yogi

mbauer
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow, really cool build Yogi!

The yellow is faded, is that on purpose or bad ink?

Mike Bauer

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 02:10 AM
The yellow is faded, is that on purpose or bad ink?

That's exactly what I think makes this dish stand out. It has kind of lost the flatness of the original.

Retired_for_now
08-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Mike - prototype part (unless I piece together another 'scope) so not worth swapping printer cartridges for.

Thanks PK - the design of JWST puts the mirror on display so needs to have some shaping. A simple slit, overlap the outer edge by 2mm or so, and glue it back together does it.

Yogi

SAustin16
08-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Very Very cool Yogi. The details provoke and answer questions for younger folks.

Retired_for_now
08-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks all.

So ... any volunteers to do a Beta build of the "final" version of this? I've done parts where I've changed things but don't really have a "customer" for another JWST at this scale. It's about a 10-12 hour project simply due to the number of fiddly bits (multiple struts, spreaders, etc.).

Let me know.

Yogi

mbauer
08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Mike - prototype part (unless I piece together another 'scope) so not worth swapping printer cartridges for.

Yogi
Hi Yogi,

Realised that after looking the build over, I have done the same in the past, sometimes even using the parts as printed if I forgot to get a new cartrdige to have standing by.

Really cool build and very impressive!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Retired_for_now
08-25-2010, 05:55 PM
The 1:48 scale version of JWST is available for download at the NASA mission web site:
The James Webb Space Telescope (http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/papermodel.html)

While you're there, check out the fantastic model by Stuart Beardow in the UK.

Yogi