PDA

View Full Version : Dance of the gods at the heavenly cave

Pat_craft
08-19-2010, 11:24 AM
I was very interrested by this tatebanko created by Katsushika Hokusai, but unfortunatly there was only the part 2 at the Boston's museum of Fine arts (http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_art.asp?recview=true&id=212825&coll_keywords=tatebanko&coll_accession=&coll_name=&coll_artist=&coll_place=&coll_medium=&coll_culture=&coll_classification=&coll_credit=&coll_provenance=&coll_location=&coll_has_images=&coll_on_view=&coll_sort=0&coll_sort_order=0&coll_view=0&coll_package=0&coll_start=1).

Recently, I found the two parts on the internet, here (http://educators.mfa.org/objects/detail/62645) and here (http://educators.mfa.org/objects/detail/65089) !

So, my next step is to build it (in a smaller scale than the real one) and I am really happy to do it... I will show you the progress very soon !

Don Boose
08-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I look forward to this one.

Ganbatte, Pat!

Don

Thomas Meek
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I am very happy that you are building the tatebanko. It will be fun to watch your progress.

And thank you for the links to the pages.

Thomas

Nh3ave2009
08-20-2010, 05:18 AM
Intriguing does not cover it! WOW!!!

Pat_craft
08-20-2010, 07:12 AM
At the first sight, I thougth that this tatebanko was very simple...
But, at the second sight, it seemed to me much more difficult !!!!

Finaly, with some details (position of the tabs, small indications on the painting), there is no problem...

This is the very first step, the begining of the cave...

Pat_craft
08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Now the cave is finished. Or almost. I have just to glue the sun and the moon. One on the left side, and the other on the right side.

Unfornunatly, I can't determine wich one is on the left and which one is on the right. Impossible to see it on the small picture of the tatebanko.
Their position have probably a symblolic meaning... I have to think about it... If somenone have an idea...

Maltedfalcon
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM
just going from the shapes
I would say moon left, sun right.

In the story the dance is taking place at night, (the sun has hidden in a cave and the gods have gathered to cheer her up (by inventing dance and laughter)
So the sun is just peeking up behind the hill on the right.
the moon is high above the cave looking down.

SCEtoAUX
08-20-2010, 04:25 PM
According to Japanese mythology Izanagi was one of the creators of Japan and its gods. When washing his face some gods came from his left and right eye:
Amaterasu (incarnation of the sun) from his left eye,
Tsuki-yomi (incarnation of the moon) from his right eye
Izanagi and Izanami - Myth Encyclopedia - Japanese (http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Iz-Le/Izanagi-and-Izanami.html)

You could use that as a guide as to where to put the Sun and Moon. :)

Don Boose
08-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Yes. This is one of the most significant of the Japanese creation myths. A worhty subject for a tatebanko.

Don

Maltedfalcon
08-20-2010, 11:45 PM
. When washing his face some gods came from his left and right eye:
You could use that as a guide as to where to put the Sun and Moon. :)

Is he facing the model or facing out from the model?:)

SCEtoAUX
08-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Is he facing the model or facing out from the model?:)

I wondered about that at first, too, but then decided that a left eye and a right eye remain a left eye and a right eye no matter where your point of view is. So that symbolism of the creation of the sun and moon could be used.

However, facing north the sun rising at dawn would be on your right and the moon setting would be on your left. So then is the return of light to Earth as represented by the rising of the Sun at dawn and the story behind that tatebanko the more significant symbolism? :confused: :D

But then if you are facing south....? :D ;)

Pat_craft
08-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Thanks to all for your comments.

Finally I glue the sun on the left and the moon on the right, like you proposed (Thanks to you Scetoaux) and according the mythology.

Actually, I finish to cut the characters.

Thomas Meek
08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Pat;

That is looking very good! I had planned to build this one myself, but I see that you have beaten me to it. Your build looks better than mine would anyhow, and now I will know where to put everything.

I would like to know how you get the seperate pieces to stand up? Could you please show the model from the back?

Thomas

Tapcho
08-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Very good looking tatebanko once again. I downloaded the pictures too and I will do it myself someday. Thanks for the build.

Pat_craft
08-22-2010, 10:42 AM
The tatebanko is almost completed. I have just to create and build a pedestal, and glue all parts at the right place, as we can see on the small picture.

Pat_craft
08-22-2010, 10:50 AM
For Thomas :
The pieces stand up with simple tabs wich are on the real tatebanko, I just made them longer because they were too short at this scale.

I am sure that you can do better than me. My tatebanko is far from perfect !!!!

Nh3ave2009
08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
You need to give yourself more credit than you do!! BEAUTIFUL !!!!

Don Boose
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Beautiful work, Pat.

Don

Thomas Meek
08-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Beautiful is the right word; I also agree. Your work is always very good. I also like your photographs.

Thomas

Pat_craft
08-23-2010, 06:52 AM
The tatebanko is now finished. Great pleasure to do it.

Great et fascinating pleasure to build a tatebanko designed by Hokusai many years ago, probably more than 2 centuries.

In that way, his creation is particulaly alive.

Pat_craft
08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks to all for your comments and appreciations !

Thomas Meek
08-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Super job, pat!
The base looks really classy and sets off the diorama perfectly.

SCEtoAUX
08-23-2010, 11:49 AM
That looks real good. Thanks for sharing. :)