PDA

View Full Version : Where procrastination can lead to - or: Yogi's Sojourner in 1/24

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Today I should have cleaned the house. I kinda promised myself I should.
I didn't.
There was an idea for a model that crept into my mind last night and I had to see if it could be realised.
It turned out to be a real pleasure to build, a quickie too and a pretty amazing end result.
So this was what I ended up with.
I used Yogi's 1/12 Sojourner model and resized it to 1/24. A bit on the tiny side. But just the right size for my idea. The build was easy and fun. I tweaked the model a bit, using metallic blue paper for the solar panel top and chocolate wrapper for the gold. I made tiny lines with my xacto knife in the blue paper to get back a bit of the solar panel structure. The body was then put together and I bent some wire to replace the ones that were printed on the model. The antenna also was made from metal wire.

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Yogi's rendition of the wheels was a simple one but pictures showed a more complex rim which was more or less recessed inside the wheel. I tried to recapture that by using thick silvery papercard out of which I punched little circles in receding sizes: 7mm, 5mm and 3mm.
The "tyres" itself were cut out of thinner silvery paper and I carefully cut lines in the surface to give it some more structure. I used a brown colour pencil to highlight it.
Then the wheels were formed and the rims shoved inside.
A bit of work in this scale: cutting out the suspension of the wheels. I had a spare print but I didn't have to use it.

Knife
08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Very nice work.

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
And then you might end up with a very tiny marsrover named Sojourner like this. And because it is that small it has to have a good base to stand on.

I used a plastered piece of board used in system ceilings like you find in office buildings. This one has a nice grainy plaster stucture on top and a paper fibre underlayer. First I scraped out tyre tracks in the plaster. Then, a lot of white glue was handsmeared over the whole of the board. Kitty litter was used for rocks.

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 12:27 PM
A bit of paint mixed with white glue for strength and an added Sojourner gives this result. The colours might seem a bit on the bright side but the 4th picture gives a better feel of the colours. ( erm... I have to admit, I do am a bit colourblindish-y...tee-hee-hee... hope you don't mind..)
And the last picture is not at all 'shopped. It is just there. On Mars.
Thanks for watching!

mbauer
08-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Wow, those photos look real!

Great Idea! Nice diorama.

Best regards,
Mike bauer

Retired_for_now
08-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Beautiful work! Love the modifications to capture more detail - in an even smaller size!
Yogi

Texman
08-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I understand. I feel much better after building a model than cleaning the house. You gotta know your limits!

Well done.

Paper Kosmonaut
08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys! :)
(and Texman, I live alone. So I have to do the cleaning myself. And it has to be done sometime. But alas, not today... I did the washing up though. heh heh heh)

dhanners
08-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Great job. Wonderful detail, and beautiful diorama!

Paper Kosmonaut
08-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks! And to be complete in the story: I just finished cleaning my house.

Groovin_Fusion
08-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Hey nice build and diorama.

Texman
08-22-2010, 07:03 AM

And so, all is well in the universe..

Pat_craft
08-22-2010, 07:53 AM
The first papermodel on Mars... cool :D

SCEtoAUX
08-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Nice set up you created.
It displays the model real good.
:)

Paper Kosmonaut
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Haha! thanks everyone! Glad you like it. I do, too. It was a lot of fun to make. And thanks to Yogi for the well-crafted design.

SAustin16
08-22-2010, 01:52 PM
OUTSTANDING work Kosmonaut! Bravo ! PLUS what all our fellow modelers said.

Nh3ave2009
08-22-2010, 02:43 PM
I am SPEECHLESS!! OMG! WOW! BRAVO!!

Retired_for_now
08-22-2010, 03:11 PM

You know, if you built this at about 1:1 it would probably fit over your Roomba ...

jparenti
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Now that is how you do it! A great idea for modeling the landing site, and somehow you managed to shrink a model and increase its complexity. Very nice work.

Paper Kosmonaut
08-31-2010, 03:56 AM
Hey! Thanks jparenti! And welcome back.

airdave
08-31-2010, 06:30 AM
That diorama is FANTASTIC!
...but, imagine Marvin standing dead in front of Sojourner, taking aim with his Ray Gun?!!

Paper Kosmonaut
08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Sojourner will stand her ground, no doubt, Airdave. (-;

Paperbeam
08-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Last photo was the best. Nice job!

Terry

Gideon
09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
That diorama is FANTASTIC!
...but, imagine Marvin standing dead in front of Sojourner, taking aim with his Ray Gun?!!

Or Duck Dodgers himself...

Duck Dodgers: Ah-ha! Now I've got the drop on you with my disintegrating pistol! And brother, when it disintegrates, it disintegrates!

(Dodgers pulls trigger, pistol crumbles into dust.)

Duck Dodgers: Heh, well what do you know, it... disintegrated.

I love classic looney tunes!

airdave
09-09-2010, 04:00 PM
who wouldn't want to live in the 23rd and a half century?!!!

actually I was just imagining a Diorama addition, since I have a paper version ofMarvin and his Pistol.
...unfortunately I don't have a Duck Dodgers model.

Gideon
09-10-2010, 03:15 PM
who wouldn't want to live in the 23rd and a half century?!!!

actually I was just imagining a Diorama addition, since I have a paper version ofMarvin and his Pistol.
...unfortunately I don't have a Duck Dodgers model.
Well, in that case...

"My Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator... That rover has stolen the space modulator!"

T'would make an interesting diorama indeed. :)

Paper Kosmonaut
09-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Well, in that case, in the words of a well-known captain, I'd say: Make it so! and join the Sagan/Sojourner group build with your inclusion! :)