PDA

View Full Version : Instructions with Surfduke's Skylab in 1/32?

Paper Kosmonaut
08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I cannot find any building instructions with the 1/32 Skylab from Surfduke's Moonport site. Are there instructions? Or does someone know about a build thread?

-I just got an idea from a sketch made around 1967, 1968 when the AAP was still in the brainstorm phase and the Orbital Workshop was still "wet launched". The SIVb had no "wings" like Skylab ultimately got but the solar panels were deployed from out of the fully opened and swung back petals of the "LM shroud", still attached to the SIVb stage. There would have been a more conical docking station and a cylindrical observation room of some sort on one side, the LM-based Apollo Telescope Mount on the other side.

At the moment I am playing with the idea of a what-if build of this version of Skylab. But without a bit of guidance with all the small parts in the 1/32 kit Surfduke offers I might be a bit at a loss...

Perhaps Surfduke himself could help? - He is a member, isn't he?

as an attachment: the OWS- configuration a was talking about.

merzo
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I cannot find any building instructions with the 1/32 Skylab from Surfduke's Moonport site. Are there instructions? Or does someone know about a build thread?

-I just got an idea from a sketch made around 1967, 1968 when the AAP was still in the brainstorm phase and the Orbital Workshop was still "wet launched". The SIVb had no "wings" like Skylab ultimately got but the solar panels were deployed from out of the fully opened and swung back petals of the "LM shroud", still attached to the SIVb stage. There would have been a more conical docking station and a cylindrical observation room of some sort on one side, the LM-based Apollo Telescope Mount on the other side.

At the moment I am playing with the idea of a what-if build of this version of Skylab. But without a bit of guidance with all the small parts in the 1/32 kit Surfduke offers I might be a bit at a loss...

Perhaps Surfduke himself could help? - He is a member, isn't he?

as an attachment: the OWS- configuration a was talking about.
Hey Cosmonaut!
Great grand plan.
OWS ask. It is an interesting solution. I have not heard.
1 / 33 full-sized detailed preparation possible.
I wait, looking for interested

Merzo

2Kamser
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM
don't think there are any instructions to that model
surfduke is a member here allright but it has been a while since he posted anything (i think)
try to PM him and wait, or just go for it

merzo
08-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Now and then I looked on the net ..
This is an S IV, properly. The best construction I've seen here. [Saturn V S-IVB] (http://spacemodels.dk/saturnv/s-ivb/s-ivb.htm)
The dock and the individual solar cells kiegésszítő gyártásuaknak be.

The LM on the drawing curious why?
Merzo

Paper Kosmonaut
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM
2Kamser, that's a good idea. I will try and do that. Tack sĺ mycket :)!

Merzo, Thanks, I know this site. This guy is just as crazy as you. :D So much detail! so much patience... But at Surfduke's Moonport (click) (http://www.mos95b.com/Moon%20Port/) is besides a lot of other nice stuff a very detailed 1/32 paper model for Skylab itself. A good starting point for a model like what I have in mind. Were it not thar there are no instructions..About the LM: Skylab started as one of the projects in which as much as possible from the Apollo project would be re-used: the AAP, Apollo Applications Program (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Applications_Program).
The Lunar lander was considered as a part of the astronomical unit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Telescope_Mount), the Apollo Telescope Mount. It would have been the observatory itself, housing a large telescope to make observations of stars and especially the sun. In the final configuration the LM was replaced by the "helicopter" structure we all know, mainly for budget reasons.

2Kamser
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM
almost all that ends up "up there" looks like they do for budget reasons, not because it's the best design :D
Paper Kosmonaut: alstublieft :)

mhvink
08-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Gents,

Back when this was designed, Carl (aka Surfduke) was pumping out the kits like crazy and I was writing up the instructions for him. He never completed the initial design past the paper files before he went "walkabout", so unfortunately, there is nothing available in the way of instructions.

A couple of guys here muddled through the kit, figuring out where things went by using existing drawings and photos. Try doing a forum search.

Mike

Paper Kosmonaut
08-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks Mike. Well, at least that explains things. I do have a lot of pictures of the real thing, so I might just dive in to it, see where this will end up
... heh heh heh...

@2kamser: Guess you're right. examples all over. Just like the shuttle. It was not the best of designs, the Venture Star might have been, but was cancelled due to... budget problems.
In retrospect, the whole AAP also was kind of "what can we do with this stuff we have laying around and put it to use?" Nevertheless, that is also what the Russians did with the R7 and the basic shape of the Vostok spacecraft that still is used as satellite.

Well, maybe in a while, you'll read about my adventures with the instructionless Skylab. For now, I say, Tot ziens maar weer!
(that's bye for now)

Paper Kosmonaut
08-27-2010, 09:22 AM
Hey, guess what, I had a message from Carl, he's glad there's still interest in his work and wants to take a go at the instructions with Skylab. Great!

Now that Carl is thinking about instructions I really want to make the 1/32 Skylab as it is. In 1/32.
I decided to use a couple of different models for the "wet orbital workshop" idea. I am going to use Ton Nooteboom's Saturn SIVb as the base model, I want to see if I can put Greelt's J2 on its business end and I still need to see which of the Apollo CSM models I have is the nicest to go with the OWS.
The LM ATM will be made by parts of U-Don's kit. The rest wil be scratched, I guess. All of it will be built in 1/96, or perhaps 1/48. Not bigger.

2Kamser
08-27-2010, 09:28 AM
you can tell Carl there is lots of interest in his work still :)

merzo
08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Helo cosmonaut

The U-Don who has excellent minőség.Nekem moonport Apollo SM and CM konvergálva 1 / 48 in. If you need help I will send you.
Picasa Webalbumok - merzo - LM 1:48 (http://picasaweb.google.hu/mertusz/LM148?feat=directlink)
Picasa Webalbumok - merzo - Columbia SM& ... (http://picasaweb.google.hu/mertusz/ColumbiaSMCM148?feat=directlink)

Good planning

Paper Kosmonaut
08-28-2010, 03:35 AM
Hey Merzo! Great builds! I will certainly take a look at them when building mine. I like the way you used the aluminium kitchenfoil for the CM. (or was it Bare Metal Foil?) Your lander looks very good, too.

I still have to think whether I go 1/48 or 1/96.
And I will tell Carl there's still a lot of interest in his kits.

lancer525
08-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Carl is a fantastic guy, extremely talented, and very, very knowledgeable. He's been inundated recently with all sorts of demands on his time, but if you're patient, he'll soon build a rapport with you that will cement a solid friendship in no time!

I wonder how he's doing with the M2-F2 he was working on... Or was it the....