PDA

View Full Version : Mark twain's writing hut

carlos filipe
09-07-2010, 03:44 AM
The preserved hut is now in the Elmira College Campus in New York State.
The kit is the one from FiddlersGreen, a kind offer of the owner.
I chose to build the bigger version (1/48) in a very personnal fashion.

The modifications I made were:
1.- New windows designed in Autocad and printed on acetate. They were sandwiched between the outside cladding and the interior panneling.
2. - Laminated the outer wall cladding, to add relief.
3. - Made a very simple interior detail; the wood pannels designed again in Autocad on a home texture (a scanning of the wood veneer used to wrap cigars). To build the fireplace I used the stone parts of the outside.
4. - Built the roof with layers, again to add some relief.
5. - Built new stairs with railings according to the photos I found.
6. - Finished the model on a very simple base (a roundel of insulation foam painted black). The ground floor was made using Das Pronto, Some Woodland Scenics or Heki foliage was used to wrap the hut as the writer intended.

Tapcho
09-07-2010, 04:10 AM
Very nice build. Twain is one of my favourite writers of all time and I've wanted long time to build a model of the hut for myself. I've had hallusinations of replicating it life size too in my garden. :eek:

cjwalas
09-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Great subject, great model, done wonderfully. Congratulations on a beautiful model!
Chris

papermodelfan
09-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Very nice execution, of a very cute building. There is one thing about this model that needs a redesign though. It is a hexagon, while the original is an octagon, dating as it does from the time when octagonal houses were the latest style. The campus publication of Elmira College is even called "The Octagon" in its honor. The geometry involved should not be too tough? Someon also once pointed out that it resembles the pilot house of a steam boatin size and feel (though of course thoese were rectangular).

treadhead1952
09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Excellent build of one of FG's little buildings, I like the use of the landscaping materials. They really add a lot to one of these little models.

Paperbeam
09-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Nice presentation. More shrubbery please!

Terry

papermodelfan
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
This is beautiful example of a whole genre of architecture: the artist's escape hut. I first ran across one when we were visiting in Norway, and saw Trollhaugen, the house that composer Edvard Grieg built outside of Bergen to get away from it all. Gorgeous big house on a fjord, that was so fun to visit that all his friends would come out for the weekend, and he still couldn't get any composing done... so he built another tiny one person hut, hidden in a ravine, with an even better view of the fjord, called the Komponisten Hutte (The composer's hut). That is where he was finally able to start composing again. After that we started noticing them everywhere - Twain's is a good example. The common elements are nice view, single room, small layout (so it feels crowded), a well stocked liquor cabinet, a piano or desk, and an agreement with the spouse not to bother them there.... In a way Thoreau's cabin is another - in fact, one could imagine a series of these. Michael Pollan's book "A place of my own" captures the subject beautifully - oh for a little space that was inviolable, where one can spread out all one's stuff....

Tapcho
09-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Fine speech Rob. When do we see the first 'Paper Modelers Hut'? I sure wish one for myself.

Tappi

carlos filipe
09-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Terve Tapcho
I used to spend summer weekends in a small hut in Pellinkki, 20km from Porvoo, placed 20m away from the water. Beatiful and peaceful setting added by the contrast between the tiny interior and the wide horizon
Porvoo is a small historical town in the south of Finland, some 40kms east of Helsinki. Pellinkki is one of the many island on the south coast.
So I agree with all about the impact of this type of small building as an excelent place for creative work.
As for the correct shape, I can't recall for the moment, but I think that Chip, the designer and owner of FiddlersGreen is aware of that fact. Let's hope he will one day build a new version.
As for the model itself, it has a certain retro charm in the graphic style wich goes wonderfully with the subject.
It took me a while to decide wetehr I should use foam foliage or not, but then decided to take the risk as in this particular case, the vegetation encasing the hut is a major element of the scene.
Thenk you for your comments
Carlos

Tapcho
09-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Hi Carlos, nearly every family has access to somekind of summer hut in Finland during summertime - our country is full of them and they build them more all the time. Not sure how creative living in the huts is but wonderfull places they are for summertime relaxation anyway. Most of them are situated along the seashore or by a lakeside wich we have hundreds of thousands. Glad you have enjoyed your stays in Finland - I'm familiar with Pellinki and it's a beautifull resort.

carlos filipe
09-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Hi Tapcho:
I'm married with a Finn for 24 years. Tried to learn finnish, bought the books but with 17 declinations in your grammar...
I speak some swedish, though.
My sister-in-law and husband lived in Pellinki for most of the year.
Unfortunnelly were not getting younger and travelling starts to be more of a hassle then a pleasure.
Rgds
Carlos

Tapcho
09-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Oh so you know all the things I wrote and having married a Finn you're family - but hey others in the forum don't, so there was some Suomi-Finland knowledge to the international public. I know what you say about traveling, have that feeling too.

carlos filipe
09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Tapcho: risking to turn this thread into a chatroom, I can't resist to quote Viktor Kallborek, a singer world famous in Finland: Ihana maa! (wonderful land!)