PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette

I have joined the Ziomania by trying to build Fabrizio Prudenziati’s Carden-Loyd Mk.VI tankette. The 1/72 Paper Tiger Armaments M3 light tank was at the limit of my building ability and this one will stretch that ability further. I’m not sure if I can complete it successfully, but will try.

The Mk. VI was the final tankette in a line of vehicles built in the late 20s and early 30s. It was intended as a reconnaissance vehicle and machine gun carrier. From this point, development diverged into light tanks and carriers of various kinds. It was the progenitor of the Polish TK and TKS, the Soviet T-27, the Japanese Type 94 Te-Ke tankette, and a number of other tankettes.

Charlie C enlarged this kit to 1/25 and built an excellent model that included embossed rivets and other refinements. http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/armory/1277-carden-loyd-mk-vi-tankette.html

Image 1. My first step was to review Charlie’s build thread carefully. I printed it out and added it to the other information I have available on the vehicle.

2. I printed two copies on Borden & Riley Paris Bleedproof Paper for Pens, 108lb, which is 0.19mm thick. I also printed out one copy on bond paper. For edge coloring, I am using a Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen green 174, which comes close to British Army bronze green, and various combinations of Caran D’Ache Neocolor II water soluble wax pastel 7500.249 (olive) and 7500.2 (moss green)

3. The major hull parts cut out.

4. The bullet baffle cut out and formed to shape with one of the cupolas under construction in the background. I attached the glacis plate hatch, cupolas, and rear hatch before gluing up the hull.

5. I cut off the gluing tab at the front of the hull and glued a replacement under the hull so that the join of the hull top and bottom would be flush (Image 6).

7. There is a large hatch in the back with separate hinges and a ring at the bottom. Since I do not have any screw punch smaller than 1mm, I simply poked a hole through the center of the ring and cut the paper flush with the rear surface.

8 and 9. The hatch and hinges cut out and installed.

10 and 11. The work so far. Hull folded and glued up with (towing ring?) attached to the bow. It doesn’t bear too close inspection, but I am going to press on.

12. To paraphrase my friend, Master Yu Gyokubun, “I get nervous when I think of building the suspension.” Or, as Greg Perry said to me as we were looking at the Modelik Staghound: “This thing has a lot of very little parts.”

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-001.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-002.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-003.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-004.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-005.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-006.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-007.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-008.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-009.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-010.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-011.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-012.jpg  

Last edited by Texman; 08-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This is wonderful to see, Don. Just seeing you doing one build after another is worth the price of admission. And I had not seen Charlie's build before, either. Inspiring work. One line of his stuck out... "The left pannier got me - I had a rush of enthusiasm and forgot that Prudenzio models can't be rushed." I've just been reminded of that on my own ZP build, so be advised.
But it looks like you have this one well in hand. It's looking really good. And when you get to the suspension... don't rush.
I thought I might try and downsize this one to 1/72, but there are just too many critical parts that are ... tiny. In fact, you have my admiration for working this one in 1/35. I'll be watching closely.
Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris. I will be taking my time and it will be a while before I take on the suspension. There are a number of challenging small assemblies with small parts (fuel tank cap consisting of three pieces, muffler consisting of six pieces, and so on) before I get there. Youngest daughter, Lydia, arrived from Maine today, Don3 and his family (including the two grandsons) comes in Saturday, and oldest daughter, Peg, will also be here this weekend, so there won't be a lot of time for building. Step by step.

Don
Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Since I do not have any screw punch smaller than 1mm, I simply poked a hole through the center of the ring and cut the paper flush with the rear surface.
Don your troubles are soon over... sub 1.0mm hole punch is on it's way.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Don,

Nice start and very precise cuts, looks like it will be a winner.

I have been keeping an eye on both of your builds, quite ambitious two at one time. Your comment about rivets made me get off my duff and post a method I use to make rivets. It is in the tips section. Perhaps it will help.

Jim
Old 05-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Don, beautiful work as always. It certainly holds up to scrutiny in macro mode. You've left me far in the dust. I've only managed to get the nose of my p-51 glued up.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Don,

Thanks for giving us another insight into your abilities. Still more for me to learn here!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Don, do you want to retitle this thread for the contest?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Ray - Yes. Please retitle. I would like to be part of the contest.

Kevin -I look forward to receiving another custom product from Stevens Tool and Die.

Jim - Always glad to have you providing flank security. I have grabbed the rivet tutorial and some day will give that approach a try. The artillery piece you use as an example of the technique is absolutely superb.

Don - I expect you will catch up with me soon. I can't wait to see your Mustang. I have my eye on one of the Breda 65s, but have my hands full of armored fighting vehicles for now

Don
Old 05-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Sizing Up and Fiddling Around

Chris Walas, rockpaperscissor Don, and I have had some back channel communication about the scale of Zio’s models (which seems to vary in the case of the airplanes). I am happy to report that, printed on A4 paper, the Carden Loyd model is 71mm long, which, since the original was 2.46 meters long, makes it as close to 1/35 as I can measure.

Meanwhile, work at the 1/35 Scale Tracked Vehicle Division of Conodoguinet Heavy Industries continues.

1. These are the raw materials of the transmission cover (Image 1a shows the part numbers).

2. The transmission cover in place on the hull with the parts for the lift rings, fuel tank cover, and muffler arrayed on the shop floor. Image 2a shows the parts numbers for the lift rings and muffler.
LESSON LEARNED: The curved transmission cover (part A7) should be installed after the frame (parts A10 and 11). The cover is just a tad too short to fit all the way around parts a8 and a9, so in my model, there is a gap of about 0.5mm at the bottom rear of the cover.

3-6. Construction of the lift rings (a14 and a15: the smallest pieces I have made to date). For the centers, I used the method of driving a hole with a scriber and cutting the excess off of the back end (Image 4). Then I folded and glued, used a 2.5mm screw punch to cut out each part, sliced off the excess, and glued the resulting half-ring in place.

7-9. Construction of the fuel cap, using a 2.0 and 2.5 screw punch for parts b3 and b2 and rolling the cylinder (b1).

10. The parts of the muffler. I cut out an additional piece of paper 2mm shorter and a little narrower than the muffler cylinder (b4) and cut out an extra copy of from bond paper for the reinforcing rings.

11. Gluing the reinforcing bands in place. They are not exactly parallel, but the is not noticeable from a distance (and the muffler will be nearly out of sight at the rear of the vehicle anyway).

12. The exhaust pipe (b9) is the smallest cylinder that I have rolled to date.

13. The completed muffler after an application of Neocolor II 7500.006 (mouse grey) and a dusting of Tamiya weathering master powder to hide a multitude of sins.

14. The hull with the port (near) mudguard (f5) and bullet baffle (f4) in place and the muffler awaiting installation.

15 and 16. I hope you can see the lift rings and the fuel cap (which I now realize is canted slightly to the rear, alas.

And that's where the work stands this evening. With three fifths of the adult children and the two grandsons having arrived for the Memorial Day weekend, I anticipate grilling steaks, listening to violin and viola recitals, hiking, birding, and playing Settlers of Catan for the next two days, but hope to resume construction Monday evening.

Will keep you informed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-001.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-001a.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-002.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-002a.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-003.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-004.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-005.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-006.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-007.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-008.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-009.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-010.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-011.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-012.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-013.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-014.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-015.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-carden-loyd-016.jpg  
Google Adsense