PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
I've Done It! Finished my first model!

Hi Guys.

Joined the forum a little while ago and have spent ages browsing some your your absolutely amazing builds.

Having started numerous builds, I have always ended up not completing them - they either become too complicated, too fiddly or, I just lose momentum when things don't go my way. Well, at last, I've completed one! Chosing Kampfliegers Rolls Royce Armoured Car (in 1/48) I'm satisfied with the results. Ok, I need to smarten up my edges and focus a little more on my edge colouring with my water colour pencils. I've also had some problems with my folds - some of the folds 'cracking' or breaking through the print - am I scoring too hard?

Perrys Dingo in the same scale is now crying out to be started!

Here's the pictures just to prove I've finished! The underside of the front mud guards could have done with colouring and, like I stated earlier, my edges need work - but, well, I'd be grateful for any constructive comments.

Regards

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
I've Done It! Finished my first model!-5a.jpg   I've Done It! Finished my first model!-1.jpg   I've Done It! Finished my first model!-3a.jpg   I've Done It! Finished my first model!-4a.jpg   I've Done It! Finished my first model!-7.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2011, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
That's a great build! Looks way better than my first finished build, that's for sure.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nice build. and diorama. Looks like you are off to a good start and know what to work on to me.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.89 MB
Very well done.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 31.42 MB
Shawn,
Isn't it a good feeling to get a project completed? I like your vehicle and the diorama.
Try creasing on the inside of the fold by using pinholes or a light table to know where the fold line is. The crease weakens the paper. Putting the crease on the compression side works better. As to exposed edges, I rather like them just muted. Paper is a unique medium for building, let the world know it is paper. Watercolor painting and oil painting are both art mediums but no one tries to make them look the same.
George
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Thumbs up

Shawn:

Nice clean work and presentation!

I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Well done!!!
Jim
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Nice job. Like you've already mentioned, painting those edges make a big difference in your builds. Keep up the effort.

Keep those dioramas coming, they always help to place a model in it's own world......

SFX
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hey nice model.
The more you work a fold the more the paper is gonna disintegrate. Remember this is paper - plant fiber - and folds sometimes respond organically ie: they behave like living things. My advice is to think very carefully about each stage in a build, then fold and glue. Thinking through a project is just as important as acting on a project.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
It is very possible you are using too much pressure on the stylus when scribing. It really doesn't take much scoring to help with the folding...and a couple of "light" passes of the stylus on the fold line does less damage to the paper than a single "heavy" pass. Also, a tip for helping the folding process. I keep a six-inch straightedge handy to assist the process. I lay the paper on the straightedge with the fold line lined up with the edge of the straightedge, then use a finger to bend the unsupported part of the paper down around the edge of the straightedge until I get the needed bend angle of the fold. With a bit of practice, you will be able to make a sharp bend in the paper without breaking the fibers on the paper surface. In essence, this is similar to using a metal break for bending sheet metal. (Another hint...try to find a used book on sheet metal forming. Everything I learned in my college tin-bending lab directly applies to paper modeling.)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Great looking model and diorama. Hope to see more of your work in the future.
Google Adsense