PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72

In my attempt to build models of the fighting vehicles from the African Campaign of WWII, I dug up this free kit of the Pzkw 1a from this Russian (I think) site.
KartonWagen - ?????? ???????? ??????? ???

The site offers a variety of versions of the Pzkw 1 as well as a Panther and a Russian truck (haven't looked at them yet.
I'd had a few of these kits sitting on my hard drive for a couple of years and decided now was the time to give one a try. I recolored one version to a desert sand-ish and resized the original 1/60 to 1/72.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4655.jpg
The kits are on one page (some of the other versions are two pages) with no instructions or reference of any kind that I can see.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4657.jpg
The main hull is four pieces; one large one that includes the top, bottom, sides and track guards, and then there are three separate pieces for the superstructure. The fit on all this is pretty good.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4658.jpg
I was disappointed in the turret as it seems to be, er... a bit inaccurate in its basic form. The kit has lots of layering of hatches, viewports and the like.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4659.jpg
I should mention that there is also an internal form made up of three pieces. I put it together out of curiosity but didn't use it, no need for it in 1/72.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4660.jpg
The wheels as supplied are to be built quite thick, too thick for me. I built them out of a few layers of card and mounted them on sections of thick card.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4665.jpg
I'm not really sure how accurate any of these models are, but they are better kits than I thought they would be. The fit on some of the pieces isn't good and some of the detail is a little cartoony, i.e., the mufflers, but overall, this was an enjoyable build and a welcome addition to the collection. I look forward to attempting a few of the others in the collection.
Karton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4673.jpgKarton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4674.jpgKarton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4675.jpgKarton Wagon Pzkw 1A in 1/72-img_4676.jpg

Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
so I see somebody built one. I found that site 2 years ago, and am sometime gonno built the Panther II, recolored to Panzergelb. But anyways, Great work and a very interesting subject.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice work, Chris. As you can imagine, I found this series of photos to be particularly interesting. I went through them holding my M3 superstructure together with the other hand, waiting for the glue to dry, and checking to see how you put this one together.

I look forward to more of these desert tracks, especially the British ones.

Don
Old 05-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
The turret looks to be from a Pz1 F. A very few were built and field-tested in Russia. Several of those were reportedly captured. It would make sense if at some point, the Russians ended up with a Pz 1A chassis that had had a Pz1 F turret transplanted onto it as a field expediency. This might account for the discrepancy in your kit. The Pz1 F was an up-armoured prototype, intended for following-up on and exploiting a breakthrough made by the lighter Pz1 B's and C's. Hence, the Pz 1F turret was nearly twice as heavily armoured as that of a Pz 1A /1B. I very much enjoyed seeing this build of an unusual Pz1. Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 05-21-2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Typographic error.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
That turned out really well Chris. Even more so when I see it's size compared to that mutantly large hand in the picture!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Thanks, guys. Yes, those huge mutant hands do come in , well, handy. I really did enjoy this one. Some of these small models can be a bit frustrating, sometimes, and even though this isn't a perfect kit, it was fun.
Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
The turret looks to be from a Pz1 F. A very few were built and field-tested in Russia. Several of those were reportedly captured. It would make sense if at some point, the Russians ended up with a Pz 1A chassis that had had a Pz1 F turret transplanted onto it as a field expediency. This might account for the discrepancy in your kit. The Pz1 F was an up-armoured prototype, intended for following-up on and exploiting a breakthrough made by the lighter Pz1 B's and C's. Hence, the Pz 1F turret was nearly twice as heavily armoured as that of a Pz 1A /1B. I very much enjoyed seeing this build of an unusual Pz1. Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
Not quite - the Pz 1F was intended as a heavily armoured infantry support tank. Not very successful since it was still only armed with machine guns. The suspension was different from the Pz 1A/B since it used overlapping roadwheels like a Tiger. There were about 30 build at the end of 1942 - small numbers of these tanks were issued to units in Russia and Yugoslavia. There is a captured Pz 1F at Kubinka, Moscow and a burned out example in Belgrade, (now) Serbia.

There is a build thread of the WAK Pz 1F at WAK Panzer 1F Build (resurrected)

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Hello CharlieC.
I certainly do not debate the information in your post, above.
It ties in completely with the info I have from another forum, where the Pz1 family was extensively discussed.
The Pz1 F suspension eventually survives to reappear on the VK 1601/1801 (Basically, more heavily armoured developments with overlapping roadwheels as you mention) sub-family, which at one point received the name "Luchs" or "Lynx" for a brief period. At least one of those sub-family vehicles received a 20mm semi-automatic "cannon" as main armament, again as shown in images on the other forum I attend.

The info I offered above was an admittedly very short synopsis intended to suggest why the Pz1 kit in this thread had what seems to be an unusual turret.
I made no attempt to discuss the suspension or armament simply because I had focused on the turret featured here in my original post.

I apologise if I was in error posting as I did above.

Respectful Regards CharlieC, Uyraell.

Last edited by Uyraell; 05-29-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Typographic error.