PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
You are a committed modeler, that's for sure. I'm very impressed at the level of detail in the basic forms that you are pursuing, Ray. I'll be especially keen to see whatever treatments you come up with for the tracks, as that's an area that can always benefit from help.
Chris
Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Flyboy -

The hubs are very visible. An excellent technique!

Since I like to use a circle cutter to cut out the wheels and this leaves a little hole in the middle, my method is to punch out the hubs with a screw punch, color the edge, and glue 'em on. On small models, this tricks the eye into thinking there is a hub, but it is, of course, flat. Your methodology is superior.

As a Dogface, I do not really know from armor nomenclature, but I think the parts you are clipping away are simply the outer edges of the treads. I did this with teh T1E1 treads and found it hypnotic to perform and visually satisfying. The track guides stick up from the other side, I think, and I pray you are NOT going to model THEM in this scale (which is, admittedly, twice as bug as you normally work).

You and Chris and I seem to be forming a 1/72nd armor construction collective. Mansei!

Don
Old 05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
So, now I have started some track work. I have one length of tracks
with the basic work done, and am working on the second run of links now.
Here is what it looks like now.

It is not a fast process, as there are a total of 256 pieces to remove,
and 64 to add before I even begin the shading/rusting/weathering of the tracks.

I am waiting until the second length of track is ready before I do the weathering work, so they will match in appearance.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

A very nice piece of track. Between the fancy knife work, the coloring, and the weathering, you are achieving a lot of realism in a small scale -- but then, that's what you do, isn't it.

Don
Old 05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Don, but I am still experimenting on the track. I am preparing to have another go at it,
but utilizing very, VERY, small strips of paper to replicate the raised "v" portion you see in the
middle of the track link. It should give a much neater appearance when done.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
You are a committed modeler, that's for sure.
Or a modeler to be committed! Thank you for the words of support and for checking in.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Evolution of a track

I have issues. In this picture, starting from the lower right
and coming around clockwise, is the progression of my tracks. In 1, you see the original track
as printed. In picture 2, I had applied small amounts of glue to attempt to give some
shape to the track links. This just didn't do what I really was looking for. So on to another idea,
picture 3. Here, I had cut very small (.75mm) pieces of cardstock, and glued two of them in place,
then worked on some weathering of the track. I liked the weathering, but not the overall look of it.

So, on to number 4. This is where I am at, and it is a slow process. I printed a set of
track runs, and with six cuts on each part, I have gotten to the shape shown in white.

The final color appearance should be close to what you see in number 3's effort. They are still a little large, and I will try and trim them down a little thinner yet.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:07 AM

This is way too delicate for me! But I am very glad that you are adding this level of detail. I think the finished product will be quite realistic. Meanwhile, after a bit of experimentation this morning before leaving for the office, I determined that I do NOT have the required hand skills to be able to cut out the areas between the spokes of the road wheel in my M3 light tank and still finish the job in time for Army Heritage Day. So I leave the really tiny slicing and gluing to you, Tiger Leader.

Don
Old 05-18-2011, 11:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm with Don on this one. ANY of the approaches you've tried are beyond my skillset. Personally, I like the glue effect the most as it seems a bit more subtle, but all of them are a vast improvement over the plain tracks.
I must assume you eat a lot of carrots to be able to cut that small!!!
Chris
Old 05-20-2011, 10:45 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Being as r/l kicked in, I've only had small blocks of time to actually accomplish much. However,
I think I resolved my track link issues. Here, in the 5th incarnation of my efforts, is what I think
I am going to go with. I managed to get a piece that is .4 mm in width. Yes, I had to use the
micrometer to measure it. So, now only 127 more to cut out, and glue on, then on to the weathering,
roadwheel guides on the inside, and then some big parts!

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense