PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Wow, Don, this looks even better than I thought it would! Great finesse on those tiny parts. I've keeping a file of this thread. Your experience and insight will prove invaluable!
Have a great Memorial Day weekend!
Chris
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for looking in and for the good wishes, Chris. It has been fun making small tracks with you and Ray.

I was feeling rather proud of those small parts until I took another look at all the entries in Chris Gutzmer's mini/micro contest and realized that I am not even in the running. Nonetheless, this build does represent a milestone for me in terms of working small. I just hope that I will be able to put that suspension together!

Don
Old 05-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I was feeling rather proud of those small parts until I took another look at all the entries in Chris Gutzmer's mini/micro contest and realized that I am not even in the running.
Don
We seem to travel the same path, my friend. I had the same experience. And I thought 1/87 was too small for me! It probably is, but I do like the challenge of the super tiny stuff. Not sure I've got the eyesight for it anymore, though. Actually, I'm not sure I ever had the eyesight for it.

I wish Zio had a few more armor kits. I'm aching to get back to the North African Campaign.
Chris
Old 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Happy Trails

Thanks for tracking this build and providing encouragement, Chris.

I was able to spend much of today thinking about men and women I have served with, especially those no longer here, listening to swing and Americana music, and working on the Carden Loyd while oldest grandson fine-tuned the computer game he is developing, younger grandson refought the Japanese Sengoku era on his computer, son Don3 read and kibitzed the build, and Lil and the daughters and daughter-in-law toured dress shops and antique stores.

The first couple of images show the on-vehicle-equipment pickaxe. Inspired by Charlie C’s build, I fabricated a handle out of a toothpick.

Image 3 is the construction diagram and 4 shows the parts for the towing pintle hook trail, one of the major projects for the day.

5. Me at work.

6 to 8: The trail under construction and completed (you can also see the pick ax in place – I failed to notice that the head of the handle projected into the area where the aft end of the port cargo pannier would be attached and later had to cut off the end: a delicate proposition).

9-10: Test fitting the cargo panniers. This has been the most difficult task so far. I refer you to Darwin’s Gr 950 Zio locomotive build for advice on cutting and folding double-sided parts (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/zio-prudenzio-contest/14972-zio-prudenzio-contest-gr-950-a.html).

If I manage to get the panniers folded and installed, I will post photos later. The alternative will be a long silence while I print out a new Carden Loyd and start over.

Will keep you informed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-001.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-002.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-003.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-004.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-005.jpg  

Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-006.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-007.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-008.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-009.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-010.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Boy, that's looking really, really nice, Don. Clean and straight. This is a great set of step photos for this kit. Best of luck on the panniers!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I agree with Chris. Your build is very clean. The panniers look good from here. I notice the rivets look very realistic on this model.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Don, I'm not sure which boggles the mind more....the tiny build or the tidy workbench. Great work.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I was able to spend much of today thinking about men and women I have served with, especially those no longer here, Don
Amen, a toast to absent friends.....

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Looking at Don's build I was reminded of a couple of things about my build....

Folding the two sided pannier sides was real pain - if I remember correctly I scribed the outer part cut the inner join with a single cut. Then with lots of trial and error gradually widened the cut on the inner surface until it fitted together. I think I tackled the pannier/mudguard assembly differently - built the panniers on the mudguards then glued the assembly to the hull. I meant I could get a tight fit with the mudguard without worrying about the fit to the hull as well.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 05-30-2011, 09:56 PM

Puzzling Panniers

Thanks for dropping in, Darwin, Chris, Douglas, Ray, and Charlie.

Charlie - Your advice on the panniers and mudguards is golden, but I read it after installing my own panniers. I had not cut through the inner bends and, as a result, I incurred some stretching of the outer edges, which I camouflaged by liberal application of olive Neocolor. I did cut the tabs that fasten the pannier sides to the mudguards at a more acute angle to facilitate 90 degree bends.

If I build another of these, I will definitely use the Charlie C methodology (and if I manage to get the suspension together, I will try a 1/25 enlarged version someday). Incidentally Charlie, I have referred repeatedly to the photos of your 1/25 build, and they were indispensible guides when I had difficulty figuring out what was what from the kit diagrams. Many thanks!

Douglas – I agree that, in this scale, the impression given by the printed-on rivets is very realistic. In 1/25, I think it would be less so and can see why Charlie embossed ‘em when he did his exemplary build.

Ray – This Dogface joins you in the toast, Flyboy.

The images below show the state of the build. My pannier installation is far from perfect, but I have spent enough time around actual military vehicles to be willing to accept a few dents and bends as “normal wear and tear.” I also installed the muffler and towing pintle trails.

The armament and the suspension remain to be done (he said with apprehension).
Attached Thumbnails
Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-011.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-012.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-013.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-014.jpg   Zio 1/35 Carden-Loyd Tankette-zio-carden-loyd-vi-b-015.jpg  

Google Adsense