PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
TinPaper Tanks

Prior to my 6 year old grandson visiting I made a TinPaper Tank for him even though I knew it wouldn't last. I explained to him that it was very fragile being made of card stock and couldn't be touched if his hands were wet. Boy was I wrong. It was still intact when he went to bed that night and he had placed it back in the little gift box that I gave him. When he left for home two days later it was still in mint condition. ( image from JA Golden "G1" ) At his home my 7 year old grandson felt left out, so I quick cut, folded and glued another of the Tin PaperTanks and mailed it off. ( image from JA Golden "G2" ) The two of them now have very gentile tank battles and when finished carefully put them away for safe keeping. It is now three weeks later and they are still in one piece. I'm amazed that they'd even want a paper toy to play with and treat it with great care. So, I have made two Ford 3 ton tanks from TinPaper ( "TP_Ford" ) and will be sending them off soon. I have a question, does anyone know where I may obtain the other TinPaper Tanks as shown in image "TP_TANKS" ? John
Attached Thumbnails
TinPaper Tanks-g1.jpg   TinPaper Tanks-g2.jpg   TinPaper Tanks-tp_ford.jpg   TinPaper Tanks-tp_tanks.jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
John, hope you enjoyed building the tanks from the site.

The other tanks (in the header), as far as I know, have never been released. They are near and dear to my heart because they really capture what I was trying to do.

I've done some simple reworking to make them better (IMHO, ha,ha) but still never released them.

I also had a little "Playset" that was a moon based thing. There were good guys and bad "space pirates" with their tanks and even secret bases (OOOHHH). That was a lot of fun to create.

At this time I am not even sure where all the files are (YIKES!!!!!). When I do locate them I will seriously consider putting them up. Geez, after this bit of nostalgia, I've got to find those files. Where to look though...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 AM

Joseph, I did enjoy building the tanks. It was a welcome change of pace. It goes without saying that the grandchildren are also enjoying the toy replicas. If you find the files and post them, I'll build them and the little guys will be glad to add them to their small collection. Thank you for your interesting and nostalgic toy tanks. John
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a heart-warming story. I'm glad to hear of the grandchildren enjoying Joe's paper models.

When the Paper Modelers put on our display at the annual Army Heritage Days, Kevin Stephens always has his models of Joe's TinPaper tanks prominently on display and they always cause comment - interest on the part of youngster and nostalgia on the part of oldsters.

Don
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Thanks Don. I wasn't going to build the tanks for the grandchildren but I decided "what the heck". As I stated before I didn't think they would last 5 minutes but I was pleasantly surprised and very glad I took the time. Looks like I'll be setting aside more time for the little guys. John
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM

John, I've added a file to the downloads area you probably don't have, it's for the 205 Tank.

It's in the "Toys and Automata" section.

Think you'll need to wait until the moderators approve it out before you can download, probably tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
TinPaper Tanks-205_wbst.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Actually Joe, you can download right now, file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-06-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Actually Joe, you can download right now, file has been approved
Great! Thanks, Rick.
A little background, if anyones interested. I got into creating the TinPaper tanks because I have a collection of antique tin tanks I picked up over the years. The simplicity of these toys (even the wind up ones) fascinates me. YOu have to use you're imagination when playing with them and I like that.
I love how colorful and fanciful they can be. The fact that the manufacturer would use the same style for many tanks, just changing the graphics was also interesting.

I created the first one about 1999. I'd set it up on a sheet and made the whole sheet look like an old card toy. I remember thinking how "cool" this was - an old-style card toy. DUH! I had no idea there was a huge world of card modeling out in the world! But it did lead me on to find so much more, starting with Fiddlers Green and going on to so many other great designers and publishers.

I've been finding some of the other files. The art is all created in Illustrator but the pages are compiled in Quark XPress which I no longer support. I'll need to recreate the Quark pages in InDesign or just as individual pages in Illustrator.

It pleases me when others are please at these small models. I'm going to thank John for bringing these back to the front of my brain so I can start putting them out there to be enjoyed.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Joe, thanks again. I have already downloaded 205 and am going to do some down sizing to enable me to place it in the small gift boxes I now have a use for again. I'll post a pic when I finish it and am eagerly waiting for more. :-) My grandkids are gonna go nuts. :-) John
Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Jagolden, there are no grandchildren in my house, but it was still lots of fun to put together the first three tanks, and I'll do the latest one right away -- and thanks heaps! As Don mentioned, there's a huge nostalgia factor.

Johnsfly, your story reminds me of my youthful dissapointment that my mother could not understand the vital distinction between models and mere toys -- she still probably doesn't get it. But it's obvious that your grandsons do. So kudos to them for their smarts and kudos to you for your interest and support.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Google Adsense