PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car

I really shouldn't be taking time for paper models with my work schedule at the moment, but I think I need them to keep from going crazy. Besides, the moment I saw Andriy's Jeffery Armored Car, I knew I had to build it.
The kit is free at Andriy's site "All From Paper" here;
All from paper
The original kit is 1/43 scale, but I reduced it to 1/72 as I seem to be building smaller armor these days.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5188.jpg
There are no internal support frames on this kit and the basic body structure is made up of six pieces. I changed the color of the kit from green to a more deserty color, just because I've been doing other desert armor lately. The color is completely inaccurate, I'm afraid.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5190.jpg
The upper shell goes together very easily and the fit is great. I had no problem getting a nice squared form.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5192.jpg
The single bottom piece was where I feared a misfit would show up, especially since I was gluing from front to back. But the fit again was perfect.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5194.jpg
The turret rings are composed of two larger circles with two smaller circles between them for rotation. I'm curious to see how well they work when the turrets are added, but so far they are turning nicely.
That's it for this morning. Hopefully, I'll get to more of this over the weekend some time.
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Look'in good keep up the good work!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
The turret rings are composed of two larger circles with two smaller circles between them for rotation. I'm curious to see how well they work when the turrets are added, but so far they are turning nicely.
That seems to be a solution I had not seen before. I think it could be used on another project I've been working on -- rotating front axle/tongue assembly on an Old West wagon. I'll have to try it.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:20 PM

I had a doctor's appointment get cancelled so I stole the time to get a little more done. I think the smaller scale stuff is addictive in that way because there's more instant gratification?
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5196.jpg
The next step was these axle supports. It looks to me that there is a section missing on both the front and the rear pieces that should accommodate the outline of the sides more precisely, but it really doesn't matter as the axles hide it.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5199.jpg
Andriy uses an interesting technique for the fenders. They are two layers and the wider bottom layer fits under the body and the smaller section (the actual fender) aligns nicely because of it.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5200.jpg
The piece almost just slips into place. I haven't seen or used this technique before and I really like it, especially at this smaller scale.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5201.jpg
The next step was to add the basic turrets, which also went well. once glued onto the in place "turner thingie", the turrets swiveled easily. I think that's the least hassle with the best results I've come across.
Andriy also provides a nice amount of detail pieces; hinges and such. But I noticed on the photos that come with the kit that the doors are also slightly raised, so I made additional copies of them to apply. It's coming along nicely and the layered additions make all the difference, IMHO.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5203.jpg1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_5204.jpg

The fit on everything (except the confusing axle supports) has been great but there are a few mis-numbered parts to watch for. It's fairly evident what they all are, so it's not a real problem. I'm enjoying this build so far!
Chris
Old 07-29-2011, 10:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I'm watching this build with great interest, Chris my friend.
I certain enjoy the way the models appear as laid-out.
So far, this build looks to be going very well, and be enjoyable to you.

Kind and Respectful Regards Chris my friend, Uyraell.
Google Adsense
Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice! Well done!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Got the wheels built and mounted and added a little bit more detail. Not much left on this except for detail and tools on the rear, then it gets some chalk weathering.
1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_0015.jpg1/72 Jeffery Armored Car-img_0016.jpg
Chris
Old 08-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hi Cjwalas!

Original Jeffery vehicle is really ugly
But the model is very nice
I love these wheels!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks! I love your models. I'm looking forward to building the Fowler and Chevy truck models. Are you working on any more early military vehicles?
Chris
Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
it is looking good chris wheels look very good must say. I have no idea how you done them at that scale
Google Adsense