PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
"A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."

Forgive me for any typos or misspellings, but I just downed a 4 olive vodka martini and finished up Konradus' Stuart M3 "Honey" available from Fanatyk Kartonu. I have to say, this is one of my favorite models so far. I have to thank two folks before I go any farther, though... First, Don B.: Don gave me a few print outs of this model when my printer was out of ink and I was between paychecks. It has carried me over and prevented me from going through what can only be described as “withdrawal symptoms.” Second, I have to thank Mr. Stephens for his thread, M3 Stuart Honey. The model was not difficult, but his build provided the fascinating details that this model is capable of displaying.

The build was, dare I say, easy. I took my time, but all of the parts fit perfectly, everything kind of just fell into place. And, as Mr. Stephens says in his thread, it made a great platform for additional details. I did not put nearly the same time and effort into this model as he did, but I think it came out very clean and as detailed as the time I put into it allowed. And that last bit is important. When I sat down to work on this, I was going for the adjective “clean.” Most of my past models, while generally well constructed, have suffered from a certain lack of crispness I see in other, more experienced modelers. At first, when I was looking over the parts and deciding how to approach the model, I thought maybe my lack of use of tabs in previous models was the deciding factor. After careful thought, I decided to control for that variable and build this model withOUT tabs, even though it shows them. If this build ended up "clean" without tabs, then I know that is not an issue. Needless to say, tabs are not an issue for me, and I plan on continuing to remove tabs in the future. Oppositely, I decided to go with folding parts rather than cutting parts apart and gluing them together rather than folding. Again, my hunch worked well, as folding provides a much cleaner edge than does cutting and gluing. I had hoped to be able to build a model with none of the inherent sloppiness that was apparent in the close scrutiny of my past builds. I feel I achieved that goal with this build.

So, in all, I say this model is probably among the very best models for someone who has done a few models but is looking to experiment with some more advanced techniques. The parts fit well. The simplicity of the tracks and suspension mean one can concentrate on the chassis rather than fumbling with track pads (this is not necessarily a benefit, but it could be to a newer modeler who is afraid of armor because of the tracks). The construction is straight forward and simple. And, most importantly, it provides a platform for a modeler’s first experience in layering and adding additional details.

In addition to building the Honey, I also have a few more neat-o goodies I want to share/show off/flaunt/cackle over. Don, in addition to giving me the Honey, also offered as a gift a GPM T1 E1 tank. It is officially my first “book model,” and it makes me feel like I have “arrived.” I am almost afraid to build it as every time I look at it makes me think I am a real modeler when I have an actual staple-bound BOOK containing a model. So, I will scan it and build it via print outs, and I will put the original in plastic to sit on my shelf across the room where I can admire its glossy cover. Don also gave me a copy of a book containing 1:35 schematics of American armor during World War II. We had discussed a few weeks ago about my desire to eventually design my own armor models, so this book will help with my initial design steps. It is a great encouragement! Lastly, the facility where I work is continually receiving military history books as donations. The duplicates are sold to raise money for future building projects. As I was perusing the duplicate sales area, I found B.T. White's double-volume of articles and drawings of the armored fighting vehicles used by all sides during the Second World War. I snatched it violently from the rack and squirreled it away in my desk before anyone could discover and buy it before me… then went and paid for it. It is pretty amazing, with drawings from several angles and short articles about the most-used vehicles during the war. It will act as another secondary source when I begin to design my own models.

To round out this long post, I can report that re-sharpening revell number 11s works great and increases their life significantly.
Attached Thumbnails
"A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3139.jpg   "A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3126.jpg   "A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3127.jpg   "A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3130.jpg   "A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3140.jpg  

"A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3141.jpg   "A Honey of a Stewart" or "A Quick Build and some MORE Goodies."-100_3142.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Nice Stewart. These 2 are Free and it has real bogey wheels! MkV - M3A3 and a MkIII - M3A1 The passwords on the files is given right next to the download "Button". There are some other goodies there too. Those Martinis must have kicked in pretty good by now!

HobikitKertas.com - Paper Model - MILITARY

HobikitKertas.com - Paper Model - 1:43 Stuart Tank MkV - M3A3

Old 08-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Nice! I appreciate the heads up! The US Version definitely needs a recolor... maybe this is a candidate for my first foray into re-coloring a model?

I moved on to Chianti. We actually had a 90 year old WWII veteran who jumped in to Normandy during Operation Overlord, fought through Operation Market Garden, and fought in both the Battle of the bulge and the siege of Bastogne parachute into the side yard of the museum today with a group of retired Rangers. Needless to say, we had a few thousand people show up for the event, and it was an exciting, stressful day that deserves a few stiff drinks.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I agree that the FK honey is a great little model! If you check in our download area, you'll find that there is a file that has a complete undercarriage for this model.
I recently did a three way build of small scale Honeys, all reduced to 1/87 scale that you might also be interested in for comparison;
Three Little Honeys
Congratulations on a great little build!
Chris
Old 08-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
I agree that the FK honey is a great little model! If you check in our download area, you'll find that there is a file that has a complete undercarriage for this model.
I recently did a three way build of small scale Honeys, all reduced to 1/87 scale that you might also be interested in for comparison;
Three Little Honeys
Congratulations on a great little build!
Chris
Hey! That's good to know, that's a nice model, and with a full under carriage, even nicer!
Google Adsense
Old 08-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Great job on the Stuart. I started this little honey a few years ago, but never finished it. If you're open to constructive criticism, I'd redo the antenna. It is just too thick and heavy and detracts a bit from a fine model. One of those soft plastic thingies that holds paper tags to new clothing might work out well.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Nicely done, very clean build. We have not had the pleasure of Don's company lately. Is he still teaching?
Old 08-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Great job on the Honey Karl! Look forward to seeing it up close-n- personal in the future. Any thoughts about going down to the convention in October??? Hint hint nudge nudge.

Douglas, Re: Don...Spoke to him earlier this morning. He's doing well and hopes to get back to papermodeling here in the near future.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Great job on the Stuart. I started this little honey a few years ago, but never finished it. If you're open to constructive criticism, I'd redo the antenna. It is just too thick and heavy and detracts a bit from a fine model. One of those soft plastic thingies that holds paper tags to new clothing might work out well.
Strip the plastic from a "twist-tie" from a loaf of bread, they work well too.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Karl -

Kevin called me to tell me about this thread (me being away from the Forum and tending to Lil after her surgery). It's a real joy to see how far and fast you have progressed with paper modeling. This latest model is excellent and I look forward to seeing it.

I don't want to leave Lil tonight and so will have to miss the Commandant's Perspectives Lecture (as I regrettably missed the Airborne event). However, in a week or so, I hope to show up at USAHEC so you can show me all your latests work and share/show off/flaunt/cackle over your fine builds.

Many thanks for all you do to help preserve the Army's history, tell its story, and look after the old vets who pass through.

Don
Google Adsense