PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to moonwoka
Opel Blitz (GPM, 1:25)

Hello, everybody,

As my first post, i present recently (yesterday, actually) finished Opel Blitz from GPM. I won't go into details, why it took me year and a half to build, but this must be one of the worst paper models i've ever built.

Overall views. The driver's cabin is completely repainted, because roof did not fit and had to be rebuilt completely. In different lighting it either sticks out or blends in very nicely. Go figure...

Front. I decided to add some "artistic impression" on the engine hood as if someone placed some sort of oily canister on it.

The paint chipping effect was done with gun metal and slightly buffed, but it kinda sticks out. I also "inflicted" some damage to the bumper and fender and battered licence plate for more shabby look.

Here's closer look at the driver's cabin. I tried to imitate dusty windows by simply painting them over with very thin paint and then wiping with Q-tip - not too clean. What is not wisible is the hood of the engine. In the real thing engine did not intrude into cabin, but my scratchbuilt one just didn't fit, so i decided to cut through the cabin wall and add sort of engine cover. Since no one can see it anyway, i am the proud owner of this unique "highly customized" Blitz.

Closer look at jerrycan holder and toolbox:

GPM suggested, that Jerrycan holder was made of wire, but i found a picture of another Blitz with sheet metal holder. I like this one much more.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Continued. Overall view at the bottom. In the instructions exhaust pipe should run straight and end behind rear axle. But i saw a picture of a Blitz, where exaust is bent to the side and thought it just looks cooler. Here is also visible steering mechanism, brake and fuel pipes, completely scratchbuilt engine and transmission - my pride and joy.

Rear axle, showing brake lines. I made a blunder with this. The axle was supposed to be positioned so, that seams would face upwards and be invisible. Alas, i glued brake lines upside down and axle had to be reversed.

Another view of the bottom:

Better look at the engine and transmission (left) and rear axle (right):

Overexposed picture of the engine. I wanted to show exhaust collector, spark wires and other stuff, otherwise hidden by the eternal darkness of engine compartment.

That's about it. Overall i am pleased with the end result. I should be, considering the time i spent on this thing.
IMHO this kit is a mess with a lot of fit issues. Instructions are sparse and contradicting. E.g. they say to glue part 1H in two places, but the part itself is only one. Or they tell you to glue mudguards "do podlogi" (something like "to the bottom part", i guess), but the bottom part itself is quite big and without any placement markings. Templates for scratchbuilt parts are another horror story. All of them are drawn of the same diameter - even exhaust! Template XVIII in written instructions is meant for spare wheel, while in diagrams it is shown for both the spare wheel AND toolbox! The engine, clutch and gearbox are represented by some sort of bathtub. Had to scratchbuild those, plus exhaust collector, generator, radiator etc. Funny thing is that i built them without any drawings or measurements, just photos from all over internet. But when i installed the whole thing, gearbox and handbrake levers (as intended by GPM) met perfectly with my scratchbuilt transmission.
Some of the parts, forming inner structure of the wheel, are far too small and all of them slightly vary in size. And the list goes on... I don't think that i will build another one. Unless i am offered absolutely filthy amount of money and a year of my life back...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Great job! All of your issues aside, you definitely have a model to be proud of, and one that certainly fits the 'that's not paper' or even 'that's not a model, you photoshopped a real truck' comments. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
This is truly amazing! My brain hurts just thinking about custom building the engine and trans. Great work :D
Old 08-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nicely Done....,

Moonwoka,

Great sense of humor...., definitely an asset in the World of card modeling.

+Gil

Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2008, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Your model looks great to me moonwoka. It only has to make one person happy and clearly you are pleased with your build. And so you should be, it looks very realiatic to me.

Thanks for sharing . . .

~Douglas

Last edited by B-Manic; 08-15-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: - moore cowbell (actualling spelling)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.97 MB
Amazing! The detail is stunning!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Thank you for kind words. I indeed do like, how this model turned out. Most of the time anyway

And yes, Dan, you caught me. But don't you think it was easy to turn this thing on its side and take pictures, while at the same time trying to avoid anybody in the museum noticing this :p
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thank you for sharing your photos and your thoughts about this superb model.

Don
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

Put is in a glass box full or argon gas. That is a work of art.
Google Adsense