PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
As far as the Sherman goes, I'd want to be driving the Israli Super Shernman version, had a 105mm main gun as I remember! Not the same one as on the Cenrturian or the M-60, though. And speaking of the Centurian, I'd put it on this list, too!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 PM

As as for the survivabiliyt of th Abrams, just read about the one that got stuck in a mudhole during Operation Desert Storm in Tom Clancy' non-fiction book "Armored Cavalry!"
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.21 MB
The Tiger was #2?

Didn't those tanks break down a lot? I understand the sight of a Tiger tank struck fear in the eyes of the Allies, but they were used in great numbers either.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:41 PM

I've read that was the case, acctingman.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
So you guys can see what the original show described

they are numerical order

top ten tanks - YouTube

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I'd have to agree with T34 for number 1. So many have been made in Russia and other countries, and it was the first to have sloped armor. Just my 2 cents. But I think panther G should have Tiger's spot, since only the Late ausf. E Tigers were any good.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
For fear factor it was the WWI tanks when they were introduced.
Both German and British troops encountering tanks for the first time ran away.

Imagine you grew up in a world still largely horse drawn, where rural people's acquaintance with large machinery was limited mostly to trains (friendly), or perhaps a threshing machine (dangerous only if you got too close and got your hand caught in a belt) and the occasional car. City people would have seen a lot more machinery but only in an ordered structured environment.

.... one morning, after already spending months in the Hell of the front line trenches, this clanking screeching lurching smoking GIANT THING, the likes of which you had never seen before, and do not even have the words to describe, crushing everything in its path , spewing machine gun and canon fire, comes gliding over the mud, out of the mist, right at you, smashing the wire that you had felt safe behind, killing your friends, showing no sign of injury when you shoot at it, followed by hordes of your enemy sheltering behind this GIANT KILLING THING which you are just starting to realize is just one of MANY as far as you can see to your left and right and there are even MORE lined up in columns behind it, all coming right at you .....

...... and then these GIANT THINGS start crossing over your trench which is no longer your home but a trap ......

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 11-14-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.50 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to leclerc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ju52man View Post
I'd have to agree with T34 for number 1. So many have been made in Russia and other countries, and it was the first to have sloped armor. Just my 2 cents. But I think panther G should have Tiger's spot, since only the Late ausf. E Tigers were any good.
Could not agree more with you than this.
Panther G should be number One for me and T-34 second
The reason was T-34 only wins against Panther G by its number. In other terms you need two or three T-34 to defeat one Panther G
Old 11-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
So you guys can see what the original show described

they are numerical order

top ten tanks - YouTube

Rick
Mmmm....

The video for the WW1 British Tank was rife with inaccuracies. For example, the exhaust was ducted outside the tank - that's what the 3 ports are in the top of a Mark I. The armour was sufficient to withstand small arms fire even at close range but was penetrated by German K-rounds. It wasn't clear which tank they were talking about - The Mark I at Flers, Mark II in mud of Arras, Mark IV at Cambrai, Mark V at Hamel, Mark V* at the end of the conflict. The Germans were shocked by the appearance of tanks in 1916 but the small numbers deployed didn't have much of an effect. In the first tank attack at Flers in Sept 1916 (not 1917 as in the video) only 14 tanks out of 49 got to the German lines where 5 were knocked out by artillery. The first attack by French tanks in April 1917 at Berry-au-Bac was hardly more successful, out of 132 tanks deployed 76 were knocked out by artillery and other causes.

Even the first major tank success at Cambrai was a close run thing - a single battery of FK 16 guns stopped the attack to the north of Cambrai. As it was the territorial gains at Cambrai were lost in a subsequent German counter attack.

It wasn't until Hamel in 1918 that the first combined arms attack showed how to use tanks effectively.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 11-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Thanks Rick didn't even think to see if it was on youtube.
Google Adsense