PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.13 MB
Paper Gun Project

Hi guys! I am an avid fan of mousemuffins' builds of guns. Taking excellent paper models and making them even better with his techniques that make it look so real. So I am embarking on a similar project using mousemuffins' build style...and here goes...

I'm relying on pictures of the gun I'm making and not from an existing kit so everything is "build as I go".

I started with a 1:1 printout of the pistol and started from there. My dad has one and many a times, as a kid, when he wasnt home, I'd sneak into his room and drool over the pistol. So I know more or less how thick the gun is and just made estimates from there.

I began with the barrel with just plain bond paper (gsm70?) and rolled it with a bamboo stick in the middle approximately as big as the .22cal bore.

After that has set (rolled with PVA/Elmer's Glue) it was cut to size based on the 1:1 photo. I rolled just enough and just as thick as the barrel on the photo.

cutting the main gun form next using 1mm board...
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2012, 06:24 AM

The Colt Woodsman .22

So I made a template out of the 1:1 photo and started on the shape of the pistol. I estimated that the gun body would be around 10mm thick. The middle 4 boards will have the trigger guard. Other considerations for the main gun body: slots for the slide, provision for the magazine on the grip, anchor for the barrel, and the magazine release.

single template used all throughout and modifications per board depended on the abovementioned considerations.

the space on the grip is for the magazine

testing/fitting, although any excess will be sanded and indentations, filled in later

I started gluing the boards from the outside-going in. barrel housing can be seen

I will use my daughter's hair clip, I don't know what it's called exactly, for the locking mechanism if the magazine release

After cutting it to the desired length

More to follow.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
holy cow. I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 41.64 MB
That is cool.

I never would have thought of the berret (is what my wife calls them) as a catch, good idea. You could use the remnants and a rubber band as the trigger?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Continuing...I've glued up boards 1 to 4 and 10 to 7 (gluing the outer boards first going towards the middle) and you can see the recess where the berret hair clip (what remains of it-thanks xombygod) will be held into place.

Then a bit of fitting before the two halves of the pistol are joined together with the magazine catch already in place. A mistake during the build is the provision for the trigger which I inadvertently missed out. I may have to just live with a static trigger that will be pinned in place. Xombygod, you're right, I may have to use the remainder of the hair clip for this purpose.

Ok, it's starting to look like a pistol

magazine catch in place

The two halves ready to be joined

closer view of the magazine catch

The two halves have been joined. The barrel was just inserted for fitting purposes and for comparison to the 1:1 photo reference.

Next will be the carving, filling, sanding, and more sanding, filling and shaping.

Last edited by isievert; 01-01-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 PM

Looking at the progress I may have extended too much the rail for the slide too close to the chamber. I will probably fill in about 3/4" from the chamber area. I would appreciate comments on how to better improve this build. I'm also thinking of coming out with a download for this project if anyone is interested but it's going to be hand drawn and scanned into a pdf file.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM

It's going to get ugly before it will look better. The curves on the grip and chamber portions have to be carved out then filled in with wood filler, and sanded until the desired shapes are achieved. I don't exactly know how mousemuffins does it but when the CA/Superglue is applied it immediately hardens the 1mm board making it stronger and easier to sand.

cut out the corners with a spare cutter blade

My first time to work with wood filler. It shows!!

Will have updates in a few days. Work always gets in the way of my hobbies.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM

Just a bit of an update...sanded the filled areas to get the right curves and splashed with CA glue and the board stiffens for easier sanding and less of the fuzziness that comes with sanding paper boards..

smooth already

barrel finally attached

Hope this turns out better than i'm imagining
Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 36.39 MB
Good job so far! It's really looking good.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
I'd have to agree, it is looking pretty good and that is from a real dyed in the wool gun nut and owner of many including a Colt Woodsman like you are trying to emulate here. To my eye, the only comment I can make is to open up the trigger guard just a little more, but do so carefully. With the CA you are using to stiffen and harden the paper, it also makes it a bit more brittle. Looking forward to your progress on this one.
Google Adsense