PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.92 MB
Civil war era Cannon

I almost forgot about this one. After doing the Gattling Gun (from the game Call of Juarez) I wanted to make the Cannon to go along with it.

So I finally started working on it. I got the texture from the Call of Juarez game and is modeling the Cannon via screen shots and then making use of the in game texture.

Finished the wheel. ....... but it is going at a steady pace, should have some more soon.

Once again, I have no idea what scale to make this once done modeling it. Any ideas ?

Note to self. I really need to learn how to make my own textures. Ah well.
Attached Thumbnails
Civil war era Cannon-wheel.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Good looking wheel. I look forward to seeing more. -Jeff
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Blaar:
For many years I was in a civil war atrillery unit, cannons limbers horses ect., ect. I just noted last week that the major artillery manual is now a pdf file all 600+ pages for free diagrams descriptions and every thing needed to scale any US cannon. pm your e-mail to me and I will send you a copy, anyone elce for that matter.
Wheel looks Good,
MILES
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM

Oky, got some more work done.

Some minor details to add then it is good to go for unfold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Blaar:
For many years I was in a civil war atrillery unit, cannons limbers horses ect., ect. I just noted last week that the major artillery manual is now a pdf file all 600+ pages for free diagrams descriptions and every thing needed to scale any US cannon. pm your e-mail to me and I will send you a copy, anyone elce for that matter.
Wheel looks Good,
MILES
Thanks. Could you check the dimensions of the cannon. Just need a rough estimate of the height of the wheels and perhaps the barrel length. Should be enough to work out a scale that is still buildable for paper.

I will also PM you my addy.
Attached Thumbnails
Civil war era Cannon-cannon.jpg  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
I did a 1/35 scale model of a civil war cannon a while back, as well as the limber to go with it. My last scratch built was the limber and caisson. I google around for the civil war cannon and limber and found some good drawings to make the wheels and the carriages to scale. I would send them or post them but my excuse for now is that my hard drive and other lap-top is in storage for the moment. continue on and will wait for your finished product. For the wheels, it is best to do a jig for the spokes. Good luck and see you around the forums.
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
I have stood next to a reproduction of an ACW 6Lb cannon, built by a group of Black Powder enthusiasts.

The wheels were 4ft high, with rims 3-inches wide. I was told that rims 2.75 inches wide would have been equally genuine and acceptable.
The barrel was 5ft 2 inches long. It was 8 inches in diameter at the thickest part of the breech, and 5 inches in diameter at the muzzle. These are external diameters.
The carriage itself was 6ft 4 inches long, trail-arm to axle. The trunnions were 10 inches tall, axle to barrelmount. The axle itself was 4 inches in diameter by 4ft 8 inches in length. The trunnion projections on the barrel itself were 4 inches in width, by three inches in diameter. The trunnion bands were 3.75 inches wide by 10 inches long, by .52 inches thick. Naturally, once shaped to fit over the trunnionmounts and trunnions these trunnion bands were visually shorter than the 10 inches of length I have cited.
The plate between the trail arms was wooden, 8 x 10 x 2 inches, with three holes in it making a triangular appearance if viewed looking toward the breech. The two holes nearest the viewer were an inch and a half in diameter, the hole at the tip of the triangle was 2 and a half inches in diameter. In the center of the triangle was the traverse spike, in its' mounting. The traverse spike itself was 3ft 10 inches long by 1 and three-quarter inches in diameter.

I hope those measurements are of sufficient use to assist you in scaling your model, Blaar.

I certainly look forward to seeing your model completed.

Kind and Respectful Regards Blaar my friend, Uyraell.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
I have stood next to a reproduction of an ACW 6Lb cannon, built by a group of Black Powder enthusiasts.

The wheels were 4ft high, with rims 3-inches wide. I was told that rims 2.75 inches wide would have been equally genuine and acceptable.
The barrel was 5ft 2 inches long. It was 8 inches in diameter at the thickest part of the breech, and 5 inches in diameter at the muzzle. These are external diameters.
The carriage itself was 6ft 4 inches long, trail-arm to axle. The trunnions were 10 inches tall, axle to barrelmount. The axle itself was 4 inches in diameter by 4ft 8 inches in length. The trunnion projections on the barrel itself were 4 inches in width, by three inches in diameter. The trunnion bands were 3.75 inches wide by 10 inches long, by .52 inches thick. Naturally, once shaped to fit over the trunnionmounts and trunnions these trunnion bands were visually shorter than the 10 inches of length I have cited.
The plate between the trail arms was wooden, 8 x 10 x 2 inches, with three holes in it making a triangular appearance if viewed looking toward the breech. The two holes nearest the viewer were an inch and a half in diameter, the hole at the tip of the triangle was 2 and a half inches in diameter. In the center of the triangle was the traverse spike, in its' mounting. The traverse spike itself was 3ft 10 inches long by 1 and three-quarter inches in diameter.

I hope those measurements are of sufficient use to assist you in scaling your model, Blaar.

I certainly look forward to seeing your model completed.

Wow, you are a walking encyclopedia .......... thank you. I am sure those are enough to get a scale. Once I have unfolded the model, I will see how big the parts are and try different scales so that the parts still fit on a page.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
You are more than welcome Blaar.
I greatly enjoy your skills in design and the models you produce.

It seemed little enough effort to give the description I have. I was hoping it would be of use to you, and am truly glad it is.

I wish you every success with this, and your future models, Blaar.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Gribeauval Field Cannon

Field cannon designs used in the U.S. Civil War were derived from the French Gribeauval Cannon that Napoleon made world famous.

+Gil

Old 03-17-2012, 02:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Linnabery View Post
Dear Blaar:
For many years I was in a civil war atrillery unit, MILES
Miles,

You made my day, I thought I was old.....I didn't know they had PDF's back then.

Jim Nunn