PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mk 3 Grant from GreMir

Well, true to form, I have started another model before finishing the one I was working on.... I am building Pro-Model's Mk 3 Grant that I got from Michael over at GreMir. I also started this thread for two reasons... One, to hopefully build this one completely (so feel free to give me a kick in the a** if I seem to be lagging). The other is to hopefully get Michael to put more armor on his site! Ok, on to some photos:

The frame work (sorry, no pics of the cut up pieces!):

Mk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010762.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010763.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010764.jpg

And the bottom skin put on:

Mk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010766.jpg

So far the fit has been good and it seems as if the model will go together well. The instructions consist of some drawings, but they are limited (for example, I am not exactly sure which order to put the skins on the frame... I am in the midst of cutting them all out and seeing what makes sense).
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2007, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The frame seems to be a bit flexible especially around the sponsons (the bits overhanging the tracks). Did you consider reinforcing these so that the skins will fit without the underlying frame moving around?

Regards,

Charlie
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Good job, Chris!

Instructions are exactly as provided by the designer - I'm in the dark here since I know nothing about tanks :o
As for more armor, John Griffin is working on the Patton tank
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
The frame seems to be a bit flexible especially around the sponsons (the bits overhanging the tracks).
Hey Charlie!
The frames are actually quite stiff. The bottoms skin has some overhang by the front gun, which may need reinforcement. I am cutting out all the skins now and will check to see if I need anything more to give it some support. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks, Michael! It seems to have very good fit, so hopefully the construction will be self explanitory! :D
Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I hope my last didn't come across as criticism....

The easiest way I've found to reinforce open frames like the M3 is to use triangular pieces. The easiest way to make accurate triangles is to laminate a piece of graph paper onto 1mm card - this idea was on the old forum and it works very well.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2007, 09:22 PM

I didn't take it as criticism! You have always been very helpful in my attempts at building armor. I remember that hint (of course had forgotten it until you brought it up!). I think the formers will be ok without extra support, but perhaps I will add some (unfortunately, I started glueing the skin on this evening). Nice thing about models from GerMir is I can always reprint it! Thanks, Charlie!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clashster View Post
So far the fit has been good and it seems as if the model will go together well. The instructions consist of some drawings, but they are limited (for example, I am not exactly sure which order to put the skins on the frame... I am in the midst of cutting them all out and seeing what makes sense).
This is why I love all the build threads. Once people have made a model and figured out these little details, it makes it easier for others who may build the same model down the road.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together. This tank appeals to me as a build down the road someday maybe
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Some progress with the skinning and mounting the forward gun:

This is the gun pieces, together (sorry, forgot to take a middle picture of the framework etc) and test fitting:

Mk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010765.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010768.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010769.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010770.jpg

Then comes the start of the skins - seems the best way was to mount the bottom, then the top where the turrent will go (which the sides are attached) then the rest. Side with gaping hole. Side covered! :
Mk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010771.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010772.jpgMk 3 Grant from GreMir-p1010773.jpg

Well, all for now.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
This is going to be a good one. Armor models are not in my list, but I've always enjoyed see them built.

Though I think they are easier than airplanes, aren't they?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM

This one is going together very easily - I would say it is on the easier side. Now looking at the new Modelik models I just recieved (BA-10M, BA-6 & the Scud), I would have to disagree! Not to mention the Halinski armor models I have!
Google Adsense