PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Halinsky Sherman VC Firefly

As there are some Halinsky armour builds here I thought I made well start posting mine as well but it will be slow.

As there are some Halinsky armour builds here I thought I made well start posting mine as well but it will be slow. I saw this model on their website and liked the look of it so I got it,photocopied page and had a trial build of the inside of the turret but found that the ribs that are cut from one mill card are very fragile and I wasn't getting them good enough to do the model justice. so I then got the laser cut parts unfortunately these don't include tracks!

As I live in Wiltshire I thought I would put my own markings on the tank for the Wiltshire Yeomanry who had Shermans first at Alamein and then regrouped in Syria before moving on to Italy.there is only one drawback in that the Wiltshire Yeomanry were withdrawn at about the same time as the firefly was brought into operation with regiments based in Italy, so I'm going to stretch the facts a bit.

I have the English instructions for the kit and they suggest starting with the turret. But I'm going to start with the tracks and hopefully the new kit enthusiasm will get me through cutting out all the bits
I have made a slow start on this model doing odd bits here and there starting with some of the metal parts at work mainly those that needed fabricating.
there are a lot of track parts,there are 200 tracks and I am making some extra as added armour so I have cut 430 track pins.
the smallest bits are some 2 mill square blocks by mil thick I had to cut them into strips and then seal the sides with superglue before cutting into squares otherwise they were delaminating.

the above picture shows the thicker card parts. The killer is going to be cutting out all the holes.
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2012, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Wow! What an undertaking, I applaud your effort! I find it fairly smart to start with the tracks, but it's such a large hill to cross!

Where did you get your Sherman from? I got mine from Kartonmodelleshop, but they didn't provide any English instructions. I emailed Halinski but they refused to offer them, since they were bought at a different shop :X

How would you suggest getting around this?
Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have coveted this one for a long time! Looking forward to your build! I am doing the T34/76 and have really enjoyed it so far (including the tracks!). The English instructions are helpful, but some of the drawings on the T34/76 have incorrect numbering, so be careful!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
I'm also working on the Halinski Firefly and am just finishing cutting out the parts for the track links - Did you count them? 27 parts per link times 200 . . . . it's taken me over 7 weeks and I'm still cutting.

I have designed a simple jig (out of paper of course) to assemble the connector links along with a part to support the center of the tread block so that it will not collapse under the weight of the model. I don't want to steal your build thread so I'm asking if you would like me to post the jig here or would you like me to send it to you by private message.

Jim Nunn
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Oh boy! I agree with everyone and covet this model I would love to do this one somewhere done the line. It will be fun to watch your build. It is cool to see so much Halinski armor being built on the forum
Google Adsense
Old 04-08-2012, 11:42 AM

I have looked at the model on the Halinksi website.

I am amazed at the level of detail.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Jim feel free to post here or run a thread along side up to you
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM

@ Jim I would like to see the jig to if you don't mind the more I think about the more I want to build this model next
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Orange one solution would be to buy Kit from their site and ask if they will include some English instructions the Sherman.
Clashster looking through I haven't noticed any missed numbering but is not until you are looking for the part that you know it's missing.

the instructions for the tracks,

there are 27 parts that make up a track link times 200 plus I'm doing an extra 14. I've booked the padded cell. I might add an extra part not sure if it's needed or not which will be a strip of card in between the two metal pins just gives more support to the central block the tracks, probably will be a case of belt and braces. But isn't much more work as the waste strip between the top and bottom parts from the inside of the central block or about the right height. Someone on a German Forum has done this as well as Jim Nunn over at paper models.
the rest of the track parts
Old 04-10-2012, 02:52 PM

quick little update thinking about the Sherman tracks on the way into work and made up a jig for the connecting bits parts 262 262a 262b so here it is, also in the picture is attract trade core parts 260 260a
Google Adsense