PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks good! Thanks to Wayne for making these excellent (and colorful) models available.

Don
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
As far as can be determined after nearly a century the Mark I tanks were camouflaged in striking colours. The scheme was devised by Lt. Col. Solomon, a well-known artist of the time. There is an article on the Solomon camouflage scheme at Landships II Solomon camouflage.

The camouflage theories in WW1 were quite different from later times - the main objective seems to have been to obscure the edges of the equipment by tricking the eye with blocks of colour. I can testify how effective this is - there is a German 10cm gun in North Brisbane painted in a fair representation of the original camouflage colours. The effect is quite disturbing although you know the shape of the gun the outline is quite hard to determine.

In the "Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas" by Gertrude Stein, she records walking down a street in Paris during WW1 with Picasso. A column of camouflaged guns came down the street, Picasso stopped and stared at the camouflage patterns - he said "we did this". I wasn't sure what this meant until I looked at landscapes Picasso had painted before WW1 - the similarity between the landscapes painted with blocks of color which establish and hide the boundaries of shapes in the landscape and the camouflage patterns, I think, makes Picasso's case.

Regards,

Charlie

(who really should do more modelling and less thinking about obscure stuff)
Old 05-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
More obscure stuff!

This is fascinating, and I am always pleased to see literary and art references pop up in paper modeling and military history discussions.

Don
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Awesome models and very good info. I would be interested in some pics of that gun gonna go read teh article now!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
J. J. Rousseau's Confessions are often dismissed as mere camouflage. It is unrealistic to expect the artist to render his work unremarkable. Great stuff Charlie, while I would love to see your models, erudite insights from you and members like Prof. Boose are what make this forum a very special place.
Google Adsense
Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The camouflage effect on the 10cm K04 gun I mentioned isn't strong in an image but I've attached an image of the gun. Lots more at Nundah K04. The original German colours were probably
darker shades but the colours on the gun work quite well in the brighter Australian sunshine (compared to Northern Europe).

I hadn't thought of hyper-realism of Rousseau but it seems to be a related idea. I think Picasso was talking about his fellow cubists like Braque and Delauney.

I've attached an image of Braque's "Road near L'Estaque" 1908 which, I think, supports the idea that WW1 camouflage was influenced by Cubism and
other movements in painting.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Free 1/72 Cardmodels-k_04_3.jpg   Free 1/72 Cardmodels-road-near-lestaque-1908-oil-canvas.jpg  

Last edited by CharlieC; 05-12-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Actually, I was referring to this Rousseau:

I fully agree with the parallel you have drawn between cubism and the WWI camouflage. I was musing on the irony that when a Philosopher set out to do a confession, his attempts at humility was dismissed as a subterfuge to flatter his vanity, and his confessions, a camouflage. While when an artist was commissioned to paint a camouflage, it became a truer reflection of himself and his time, a self portrait.

But of course none of that came though my previous post, I was talking in bubbles. Sorry. I really should leave the writing to those who are good at it

Tags
wwi