PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-02-2012, 02:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach

Hello everyone,
It has been some time since I have shown my last work in progress (Bradley).
Past few months I spent on building a Leopard 2 and since my approach is not very orthodox (not much paper in a paper model) maybe it's woth to to be shown as well...
We have a few "paper" editions of Leo - as far as I know all issued by GPM - Leo1 in 1;25 scale, Leo2 in 1:25 and 1:16. The last one has the interior. That means we have no "polish" edition of Leo2 with interior in 1:25 scale. I noticed that's it's very bad (all my other static models are in 1:25) so in January I have decided to re-make the 1:25 version and include some internal details. I wanted to have all bells and whistles - engine, working suspension and detailed tracks. Let's say that right now this project is 70% complete.

The firs step (to check if I am able to handle the task) was to re-design and build the turret. Originally it did not even have the moving gun mantlet, not to mention the interior compartiment or opening hatches. Below some photos showing the WIP and result.

My intention is to finally paint it as a polish tank from Swietoszow. I didn't decided yet which number exactly but if I spend another two months on this model I'll have the chance to choose it myself (I'll visit Swietoszow armored cavalery unit in August ).

To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-1_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-2_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-3_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-4_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-do-_resize.jpg  

Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-6_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-7_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-8_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-9_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-10_resize.jpg  

Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-11_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-12_resize.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 PM

what a beautiful Turret!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
WOW what a beautiful job so far!
All of your additions have really transformed the turret into a Deluxe model. I can't wait to see what you have done with the rest of this model.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 AM

Thanks
Next step was of course the hull. I took the same way - I turned the standard squeleton structure of the original model into a box.
The serious problem I had was the working suspension - how to build a system of springs and keep the space inside hull for engine, turet basket etc?
The only way was to have working torsion bars.
As a picture is worth a hundred words - I shown my solution on fitst photo (the strange stuff inside the spring is copper grease).

A bit later I found out that the springs are not strong enough and I had to immobilise some suspension elements, but it's another story...
Attached Thumbnails
Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-22_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-13_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-14_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-15_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-16_resize.jpg  

Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Next was preparation of wheels and suspension elements - but in my Leo these elements have nothing to do with paper.
I tested new (for me) technique, resin casting. The first results were highly discouraging, but afert initial failures it went better.
Attached Thumbnails
Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-17_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-18_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-20_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-p1017324_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-23_resize.jpg  

Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-24_resize.jpg  

Last edited by vanhasen; 06-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM

yeah... resin casting is not so simple at first, but you get some practice quite rapidly. AND... it's expensive... :( that's it, not the resin itself, but silicone rubber!
anyway you're doing very very well good! I love your "detailing philosphy"
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Resin casting... yeah, I didn't know what I sign up to
The tracks were the most difficult modelling feat I ever faced, especially these little pins... But finally I fixed all parts together, added rubber pads and in the process I put some pigments to avoid doing it on completed suspension.
Fargo - you're right. Resin itself is a peanut in this scale, silicone is about twice its cost.
And this is more or less what I have finished up to now.

P.S. Ma apoligies for white balance - I keep doing something wrong with my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-imag0249_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-1_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-2_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-3_resize.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-4_resize.jpg  

Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-1.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-2.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-3.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-4.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-5.jpg  

Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-pict0009.jpg   Leopard 2A4 - the hardcore approach-pict0011.jpg  

Last edited by vanhasen; 06-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 151.02 MB
Really nice work, like your other projects.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.50 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to leclerc
You sir have done a super job by tackling Leopard 1:16 by GPM and convert it to 1:25 with the same treatment. I'm enjoying this thread since my National Army will upgrade its tank force with upgrade Leopard A4 straight from Germany.

Greetings from Indonesia
ARDI
Old 06-06-2012, 01:02 AM

I read my first post once more and I found out that I forgot to mention which model exactly I work on.
It's Fly Model edition, like this one - GPM - Leopard 2 A4 Fly Model 119 - FLY/GOMIX
Google Adsense