PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Kevin,

I'm working on the bogies now. Two words of caution: patience and study. I didn't think building these was very straight forward from the drawings and instructions given. The internal structural pieces glue onto the inner surface piece. The outer surface dips in to provide a space for the ribs. The ribs could use some trimming to fit perfectly. I have not started the road wheels yet, so I think you are still ahead of me a little bit.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
GPM M4A3 Sherman-dscn1763.jpg  

Last edited by modelperry; 03-02-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
It's been a long time since I've had anything new to report here on the forum. Life the past few month has been full of all kinds of twists and turns...But now that things are settling down a bit I can show you the little bit of progress that I've been able to make on the Sherman.

With a lot of help from Greg Perry I've been able to complete the bogie assemblies. This was a pretty tough challenge considering the drawings and diagrams that came with the kit were very poor to say the least. (I'm being very nice when I say that) Without Greg's help and looking at his build both in person and photos I would not have been able to get them together correctly. So...THANKS GREG!

Now it's time to shift gears again...I'm finally able to start Ron40's beta build of his B-17. I've been looking forward to this for a long time. It should be an interesting thread. Building alongside Billy and all....Now off to spray some sheets with some krylon matte!

I'll keep plugg'n away at the Sherman maybe I get her done some time this year...Then there is the Dragon wagon!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM

Crap! I forgot to post the photos!
Attached Thumbnails
GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0345.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great bogies, Kevin! Having watched the earlier stage, it's nice to see the finished items. I look forward to the day when the entire Sherman will be perched atop the Dragon Wagon.

Earlier this year:

“No, Kevin, the shin bone is connected to the ANKLE bone.”
Attached Thumbnails
GPM M4A3 Sherman-005.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Seeing Greg's completed Sherman in October at the IPMC got me fired up to finish this project once and for all. I must say with out Greg leading the way, troubleshooting those bogies, I don't think I would have ever made it this far. So I must thank him for that.

As you can see all of the running gear is in place with the exception of the tracks (which by the way are a simple band construction, no individual links.)

So far the fit has been pretty good however there were some pieces here and there that did not fit well at all. For example the Air intake(...?) in the back was a horrible fit. I had to take that whole assembly very slow and fit each piece one at a time to get it right. An other major fit issue was with the hub on the idler wheels in the back. It was about 3/16" too long making alignment with the road wheels impossible. After a bit of trimming and re gluing the alignment is now perfect. Moving forward with the tracks should now be smooth sailing.

Hope you enjoy these updated pictures.
It's all up hill from here!
Attached Thumbnails
GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0518.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0519.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0522.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0523.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0524.jpg  

GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0525.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0526.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0528.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0529.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great photos, you've really matched the colour well.

Tim
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Looks good and I'm glad I could help you past the bogies. Your rivets on the drive sprockets add a lot. In fact your attention to detail is more in tune than mine and I'm sure your final result will surpass my efforts. Keep at it. After the tracks its all down hill.

Oh speaking of the tracks, I have trouble keeping the guide plates in place. They keep popping off. White glue just didn't do it for me on these and I had to resort to superglue for them. Also make sure the tread blocks point the right way, when looking directly at the front of the tank they look like "U"'s. The photos in the kit book show them installed backwards.

Greg
Old 11-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great to me Kevin! Can't wait to see it up close (although I don't think you could get any closer than your macro view of the sprocket -- and I must say that your work stands up to the macro lens very well.

Except for the third rivet from the left on the upper right ventricle crockett lever, which appears to be 0.00001mm too wide, I think you have done a terrific job.

I can see that Dragon Wagon on the horizon!

Don
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks guys for all your kind words.
I finally started to work on the tracks.
I spent some time making a few custom chisle blades to aid in cutting out all those darn "U" shape grousers. Time well spent. The blades are just the right width to cut out the inside of the U shape with one easy down ward slice. This will speed up production for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Except for the third rivet from the left on the upper right ventricle crockett lever, which appears to be 0.00001mm too wide, I think you have done a terrific job.

I can see that Dragon Wagon on the horizon!

Don
LOL! Yes, those darn ventricle crockett levers! they always give me problems

I have to admit I am looking forward to the challenge of that Dragon wagon. I figure since I've been at the Sherman now for little over 2 years...(I promise I WILL have it rapped up by May for Army Heritage Day)....the Dragon Wagon should be ready some time around 2014 Hopefully the paper won't become too brittle to work with by then!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:41 PM

Stick a Fork in it -It's DONE!!!!

Well it's been a long two and a half years in the making and it's FINALLY DONE! Just in time for Army Heritage Day next month. Sorry I got lazy with the build thread but I only had a chance to work on little bits and pieces when time permitted. I have to thank Greg Perry (modelperry) for all his help answering questions and showing me the way throught the difficult parts. Without his help it would still be a pile of pieces. My overall impression of this kit is good I would recommend it to more advanced builders who have had a kit or two under their belt. The illustrations for some of the parts were very poor to say the least. The part fit was pretty good overall there were only a few issues but nothing major that could not be worked out with a bit of creative thinking. The most difficult thing about this kit was definately skinning the turret. This was probably one of the most difficult things that I have done todate in my paper model building career. Thank goodness for Model Master #4842 OD green, an exact match!!!! Well that's it. Please enjoy.

PS. I'll post some better pictures as soon as it get a little nicer outside.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0054.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0055.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0056.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0057.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0058.jpg  

GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0059.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0060.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0061.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0062.jpg   GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0063.jpg  

GPM M4A3 Sherman-pict0064.jpg  
Google Adsense