PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sturmgeschutz IV 1:25

Hiya!

Because my current project is not yet finished - as the matter of fact is quite far from it - and I thought it would be good to show something after checking in, I decided to put my build here, into The Armory.

It is a model of German self propelled, assault gun from WW2, later version of famous STUG III, based upon Pzkpfw IV ausf H chassis. Scale is 1:25, and manufacturer is Modelik.

The way I put my models together is rather straightforward, I do models in standard colors and with some (and every time a bit more) additional works carried out where applicable. By saying some, I mean little details here or there, as being a beginning modeler I don't have all the skills yet Nevertheless I try and use different approaches and techniques so I hope with some help from more experienced modelers I should get to this place called Improvement:]

Below you can see my works on Stug IV. Hull, superstructure, engine, it's compartment and other interior (but not detailed at all) sections are done. The overall plan was to make all hatches workable, make as much of the interior as possible (engine mostly, as other sections available "under" the hatches are with no details at all and shape of the body with it's inner carcass prevent from making whole battle section for this model), work on rivets and add up other extras which I would like to leave till the very end of my build (it's a secret plan for now as some additional research still has to be done).

Rivets gave me a bit of a heading, I know the technique of punching rivets out of paper/card using needle, but I had to find other way round, and I did:] I have not applied rivets all over the body yet, as testing grounds I used suspension and road wheel trolleys and spring equalizers. It looks like this:

I have made all 8 road wheel trolleys already, don't glue them on just yet. To have everything lined up I still need stretching wheels, sprockets and small supporting wheels (all to make).

I also happen to have laser cut out tracks for Panzer IV (for different manufacturers model) which will require additional lining up and some further corrections within model (mostly sprocket's width).

So far so good, no major issues with the design.

Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 06-05-2012, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Probably not too many rivets on the Sturmgeschutz (welded hull). There was a row of bolt heads around the roof since the roof had to be lifted off to remove the gun.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 AM

It is clear and precise work, congratulations
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.50 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to leclerc
Great start !! And as my personal opinion this tank deserved a lot more attention from all the paper modeller, since it's unique shape and function during the WW2.

Greetings from Indonesia
ARDI
Old 06-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Hiya,

First - Hello to all watching:D

Second - Leclerc, according to my small bunch of information about this unit, it's not exactly a tank, more self propelled artillery, assault or infantry support gun. After all it does not have a turret (and was not able to shoot while moving, what made commanders to fight in ambush style) and it was classed as artillery unit as well as it's crew (they didn't even have Panzer Division uniforms).

Third - I am still working on suspension, have to say its like crazy Circle job... Circles, I see Circles, Circles I see...
Road wheels are done, all I have to do now is to fix them together (front and rear wheels) and after that fix'em to the trolleys. I have also started works on supporters and ... more circles to be cut out (dream of every tank modeler xD). Fortunately there is only 8 of them, and majority of fine, inner cutting is behind me (mental health check required). Below you can see how my messy work in progress looks like:

Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 AM

Yours skill is very high level!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Not much messy work to be seen on this thread - looking very nice.

I have a soft spot for Modelik kits. Simple enough not to put you off building. But scope for adding your own detailing.

Tim
Old 06-14-2012, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.50 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to leclerc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
Hiya,

Second - Leclerc, according to my small bunch of information about this unit, it's not exactly a tank, more self propelled artillery, assault or infantry support gun. After all it does not have a turret (and was not able to shoot while moving, what made commanders to fight in ambush style) and it was classed as artillery unit as well as it's crew (they didn't even have Panzer Division uniforms).

Third - I am still working on suspension, have to say its like crazy Circle job... Circles, I see Circles, Circles I see...
Road wheels are done, all I have to do now is to fix them together (front and rear wheels) and after that fix'em to the trolleys. I have also started works on supporters and ... more circles to be cut out (dream of every tank modeler xD). Fortunately there is only 8 of them, and majority of fine, inner cutting is behind me (mental health check required). Below you can see how my messy work in progress looks like:

Cheers!
He he my bad, you were right about the historical background on this model. And your work is not as messy as I am. You should see my desk work when I'm doing circles with my Panther G from GPM model
Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 AM

Hello guys,

While taking that pictures my desk in the central area looked quite all right, but around... well camera did not pick it up:P

I have to say Modelik (previously called ModelCard) is or maybe was the first publisher/manufacturer of paper models I had anything to do with. I make mostly Modelik's now, GPM really grinds my gears with design problems (Panzer IV, Wespe, Panzer III all having problems with wheels or turrets (if applicable)) with Modelik's products - only minor adjustments are required. Going deeper into modeling hobby M its perfect base for own invention and creativity, and I think I just made few first steps:D

so ... to spike up your interests in my builds I will show you something off topic (have to find out where and how make galleries on this forum xD), so I hope thats nothing against the rules:P

Modelik's Puma:

GPM's Wespe:

There is few more models done already, but when I get to Gallery with Stug I will try to post them all as well:]

Hope you enjoy that stuff, which still is only standard model making xP

Cheers!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Its so clean and beautiful
Google Adsense