PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
M4 Carbine - Build

Hello gents...

This is ground breaking in a way for me. First, it's my first thread in the armory and second it's my first build in a couple years so it's shake off the rust time. For the most part I'm a ship builder, but Albert's recent build of the free download MPAR kit inspired me into this effort.

This is the M4 Carbine that is available over at Deviant Art.

Since this is my first firearm I expect a few bumps along the way, but hopefully we can work through them together.

I've decided to start with the lower. I'm doing the black version as it should look a lot better if I make a cosmetic mistake. A little easier to disguise boo-boos. I've laminated all the lower parts of the kit to 110# stock and I've begun with the mag well. As you can see, I've just kept building off the mag well sort of sequentially. Easy enough to this point.

More updates soon.

Google Adsense
Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 760.95 MB
On with the model you are staying well. As for the color you have elected either in black, it is always easier to conceal faults.

Best regards
Albert
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
hi eibwarrior
thats a very clean/sharp build on the lower.
it looks like using thicker stock paper has passed over from your ship building. your 'on the right track, as far as i'm concerned .

i am on with the same model at the moment and still working on the upper. its taking a little longer cause i'm using 1 1/2 mm card!

when you get to the pivot and locking pins try to line the holes with your 110 paper (tube glued in) and make the pins out some wood dowling 'easy to file to size' especially the front pivot, dont forget, the whole of the front end grip, barrel and all works off this.
there are some odd parts you'll have to work out on the way but with a bit off cursing one can work it out. i'm already re-doing one of the sections as i write! but yeh, yours is comming along very nice.
i'll be looking in on ya with this one and thanks for sharing .
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM

Thanks Dessy. Yeah, the thicker stock helps, but I think I'm going to have to step back to 60 lb. for some of this more rolled and curved stuff. I may have to sacrifice rigidity for form. I just want the overall gun to be something I can handle without fear of breaking once it's finished.

Sounds like you've got a good start too. I'll take your advice on the front pivot. I was real careful to line those up while putting together. I knew the workability of that pin is going to be very important.

I've made some progress since those photos. Didn't get to work on it all this weekend, much to my dismay, but I'm going to this week. I've added the trigger guards and various other tidbits. Working on the trigger itself right now.

I'll post some more photos in the next day or so.

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM

yep, thats right you have to drop down the paper weight to get round some parts. at least on this rifle the lower and upper is fairly box'y. i've had to drop down from 1.5 mm to 1.0mm to get round the curves. like yourself i like to get to grips with the rifle when done. with my 'carrot fingers' a paper one would'nt last 5 mins!

odd, i usually blast through a build but this one being in modular form is helping me to chill out and take my time on each section. so just take your time and enjoy.

i only went up to 1.5mm cause i found a real metal magazine 'at my local car boot market' thought it would be trick to make it fit not realising what it would take to carry the weight! i've even had to make the mag release button work so that the mag would'nt drop out, doh!
have fun at the weekend mate, just take your time and enjoy.
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2012, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibwarrior View Post
Hello gents...

This is ground breaking in a way for me. First, it's my first thread in the armory and second it's my first build in a couple years so it's shake off the rust time...

Since this is my first firearm I expect a few bumps along the way, but hopefully we can work through them together.
Way cool, eib! I have this model printed out too, just haven't had a spare moment to start it, so I am watching this thread with a great deal of interest. I choose to print out my version in tan, somewhat like the photo plate on the cover page, I thought that looked very interesting, but this model is great in probably any color.

I printed it all out in 65# paper stock, so I will have to see if that makes any difference while building.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
That M4 is looking great, eib. ...great attention to detail.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2012, 09:31 PM

Thanks Dessy, Jim and Jeff.

@Dessy... Yes indeed. I know what you mean about taking your time. I'm guilty of rushing too. I'm really going to go slow on this one and enjoy the journey. No rush.

@Jim... Good to hear from you my friend. I see you had no trouble finding me outside the dry dock :-) 65# is probably a better medium for making this model. More flexible and formable. I'm really hung up on the sturdiness though. I know I'm going to have friends who want to hold this baby when it's finished. So I'm going in the direction of heavy and rigid. But certainly the heat shield and barrels will have to be in the 60# range.

Here's my update for the night. Added inner loops to the pivot holes. Added the trigger guard (that was a tricky assembly) added the trigger and added the hand guard mount (triangle gusset) behind the trigger guard. Rolling right along. Going to add more details to the opposite side magwell.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Update for tonight.... The M4 lower is finished. Added all the left side mag well details, the fire selector switch. It's now complete. Came off pretty good I think. I might have to make some mods to where the hand grip attaches, but since I'm building that next it will be fresh on my mind going into this next phase...

The last photo is the three sheets of hand grip parts. Starting that phase tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:24 PM

nice! good luck on the pistol grip!