PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Smile Landships.info St Chamond in 1/72

I built this as part of the Unofficial Airfix Modelling Forum (UAMF) small scale armour group build that just ended...

It has been some time since I did any paper modelling as intense (for me) as this and so I ended up relearning quite a bit...you can see the build in more detail on the UAMF link above but here are some pics...

Uh-oh with the laminating as I printed it on too light a paper...

Muffler wrapped around a cocktail stick for strength and ease of rolling...

Exhaust in place...

Main gun barrel about to be rolled around some wire...

Forward quarter...you can see where I missed off the bow MG mount and also where I lost one of the right side bogies...printer issues made running off another problematic...

Rear quarter - I have big problems getting the upper and lower hulls to meet in the rear - I think it is me as opposed to the design but the instructions weren't too clear on how this area came together...a little more text would be good...

Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.64 MB
Bless you for sharing your work sir! Considering some of the model builds, it is nice to have someone post their work warts and all. I feel a tiny bit less intimidated now.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Plenty of warts on this one...It has been ages since I did any work in paper and I ended up relearning a lot; plus the scale for armour is a lot smaller than I would normally work in and thus much much more fiddly. I think it's healthy to post up our builds even when they are not perfect award-winners so that other might be encouraged and learn and improve our skills...
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 AM

Damn...this is the pic I meant to use as a header for this thread...

I also just noticed that I have the tracks on backwards as well...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Exellent work with such small parts.

Jeff
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
It looks like a good effort to me, and I designed it. I made some beta-builds that didn't look nearly as good.
BTW, I redesigned all my St.Chamonds after Tanker pointed out that the bow plates were wrong. In the process, I found and corrected some other problems. I agree that the fit-up is tricky, particularly in this scale. Starting off well at the bow sort of sets the "mold"; if that first joint is mis-aligned, nothing else will fit. I check the overall shape as I go, and I have tossed out some that twisted about the long axis because I messed up the first joint. I have also considered making that small triangular lower bow plate a separate piece to make it easier to close up the hull. I simplified the pieces around the track wells - all are flat, no more curves for instance.
I need feedback like this from the folks making my models, so I can correct and improve them. Thanks for posting.
Wayne
Sugar Land, TX
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks, Wayne...it is a very good design and a large part of my problems with the lower hull were probably down to how I interpreted the instructions - I think the design is sound but a bit more text on page 2 of the instructions regarding the lower hull would make it clearer for people like me. I will be building another one of these and more of your models - great range of early armour!! - and as my skills start to come online again (touch wood) as this is the first paper modelling work that I have done in a year, I hope to be able to produce the models that your designs deserve.

Thanks for designing and sharing these models

Simon