PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-02-2007, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Griffin View Post
Wow Charlie... despite what you claim, I think you are a master builder- and one who knows what his subject as well. After reading this thread I am a bit intimidated now about my on-going design of the M48! I will have to make doubly sure that I get all of the small details right. There are so many of them; it never ends- I am getting down to deciding whether or not to add bolts along the fender tops, etc.
I see your point about over-reliance on the computer for the final design of every piece. I am finding that for ease of construction and simplicity, (does that equal design elegance?) some parts are better just done straight in 2D (in PS, for instance). It is also just plain faster to design bits that way sometimes- negating all the unfolding.
Here's hoping I get it right...
Thanks for the photos- they give me something to aim for in level of detail.
Thanks for the compliments. It's a pity the images from Jim Nunn's Halinski Panther build aren't on line anymore - that was a real master build. Perhaps Jim would resurrect his build on this forum.

There is, I think, a balance between excessive detailing and sufficient to get across the form and structure of the model subject. There was a fairly long discussion on this on another forum. My view is that it is possible to design arbitrarily small details but at the cost of a lot of frustration among builders and a small audience of builders who are prepared to actually attempt the model. For example, the Halinski T-34/76 - 7000 parts! On the other hand simplistic models, although quick to build, seem to be frustrating in a different way - perhaps a sense of "missed opportunity" is as close as I can get to this.

I like the approach of a number of Polish designers in recent years who provide labelled optional detailing parts so a model can be built according to
a builder's patience/skill level.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 11-04-2007, 05:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
This must be a thread resurrection of a resurrection....

My Panzer 1F had a public outing last weekend at AMMS Brisbane (Australian Military Modelers Society). This is mostly a plastic modeling group. Most of them had never heard of card models so I took the Pz 1F along as a modest example. Most of the people didn't realise it wasn't plastic - I had to put a sign alongside the model "Not Plastic". Quite a bit of interest.

There was a scratchbuilder there who used cardmodel patterns to create styrene sheet models. I seem to remember Wunwinglow in the old site was trying this approach.

Talked with Jim Fainges - he's the Dad from Ladndad models. He was interested enough to think about doing some armour models. He said there will be a 1/48 Tetrach model with one of the WW2 glider models Chip Fynn is going to release. He's got access to all Australian museums and said he had a bunch of research material on the A7V at Brisbane and the Vickers Mk 3 at Pukapanyal.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 11-04-2007 at 06:20 PM.