PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
MKIV Supply Tank - First recolour and conversion, build thread

Having got back my building ‘mojo’, having built Wayne’s MkI Female tank 'Chablis', and, already in the throes of building the MkII, I really wanted to try my hand at recolouring and converting a model – attempts in the past have never really come to fruition so, I want to start with something manageable and something that I know I can complete.

With this in mind, I contacted Wayne and asked if he would mind me redrawing, recolouring and converting his generic Mk IV tank - available on the Landships II Forum – into a version of the Supply tank. So, with Wayne’s blessing, I’m going to make a start on the build!

By the middle of 1918 the Mk IV was considered obsolete, and many were converted to supply tanks - having their armament removed and apertures closed, whilst others were factory built, making a total of some 205 Supply tanks.

The build will be LOOSELY based on ‘Auld Reekie’ – a good colour painting of which appears here http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww1/gb/tank_MkIV_male.png. There are a number of sites with snippets of information regarding this little-known version of tank, but nothing of great note, except of course for the amazing information to be found within the Landships Forum (where there are also some amazing builds and conversions).

To start, I have am doing a little redrawing within Gimp, which will be followed by a recolour (to a colour similar to that of the painting), and I’ll post photo’s as soon as there’s something to show which should, fingers crossed, be by tomorrow evening.

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent! I look forward to seeing this model take shape.

Don
Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Thanks Don!

Well, after a good few hours, I've come up with the attached!

At top is Waynes original - a MkIV - male or female, generic, with no unit markings etc. At centre is the tank I plan to base my build on - 'Auld Reekie' as seen in October 1918 (image copyright The Tanks Encyclopaedia).

Next is an overlay of the two images, showing how close Wayne's original is to the painting (or vice versa!). And, finally, is my rendition of Auld Reekie using Wayne's original as the base. The main alterations are the moving of some of the plates and the omission of a number of 'bits' (I'm sure that's the technical term!). The colouring is taken directly from the painting and might, I feel be a little dark, but I'm going to persevere with it as is for now.

It is already quite evident that the build is only loosely based on 'Auld Reekie' - the font used for the name is obviously different, but, I think fits, and looks 'hand painted'.
Attached Thumbnails
MKIV Supply Tank - First recolour and conversion, build thread-comparison.jpg  

Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Very nice mottled texture. The upgraded rivets look good, too. I'm looking forward to seeing this come to life.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Models of the Mark IV supply tanks are fairly rare - there's a plastic 1/35 at:
AMMS Brisbane.

I know the guy who built this model - he always does detailed research on his builds so it may suggest some ideas for your design.

I think you're right about the "font" on the tank names - that most of them were handpainted. I'd guess anyone who was a signwriter in civvy street was popular in tank units.

Many of the supply tanks didn't have the unditching rails - it freed up more space on the roof.

If your recolour/redesign works out I'd be prepared to host it on Landships II.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Looks good Shawn, glad to see you continuing the theme. Have you had a look at the New Vanguard book on the Mk IV? Excellent history and colour plates, so well recommended.

All the best and happy modelling,

Benrie
Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM

The vanguard book should be winging our way from Amazon as we speak Bernie!

Thanks Don, thanks Charlie. I plan to leave the un-ditching rails off my build too - a good deal of the photos I've seen do indeed have these omitted. The plastic build you mention in your post is just outstanding - as are many of the other builds of the Supply Tank I found at Landships II, and all give a good idea of how these tanks seem to have been loaded with everything bar the kitchen sink! I must admit though, I've been unable to find any good contemporary photographs showing a 'fully loaded' tank.

I failed to mention in my original post that I have enlarged the model from Wayne's original scale of 1/72 to 1/50 - the same as 'Chablis', completed a few days ago.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your story of the build, Shawn, and the additional inputs from the community are most interesting. The image of the various color schemes helps, too.

Don too
Old 04-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 219.9 KB
Shawn
PM me an email addy and I can let you you have 2 scans of contemporary pics that should be of interest.
From earlier publications ~ 4mb total so too big to post here.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:55 AM

Thanks Maurice, for the pictures, fascinating - particularly with the sleds! The picture showing the two US soldiers gives a good indication of the additional depth of the sponsons too.

Bernie, thanks so much for the fuel cans - which I will definitely include in the finished build, and more importantly, thanks for your encouragement.

A little progress today - it might look like I've jumped ahead a bit, but I really wanted to get the tracks sorted and come up with something that I was happy with. I wanted to move away from the flat tracks which, although they look fine at 1/72, need to have some depth added to them - particularly the characteristic ridge along the edge of each track.

I've come up with something that, I think, looks 'ok' and is achievable. I had already looked at the way AirDave had designed the tracks for Little Willie and took that as a basis, simplifying it enough to make it manageable (for me) at 1/50.

After redrawing the tracks from the originals (and lengthening the fronts a little), each one is cut out separately and scored and folded off centre. Flipping the track over I little score where the double thickness ends before placing the track (the single thickness part) over a thin piece of wire and shaping it to create the ridge. Each track can then be attached to a thin piece of copier paper to create the complete links. It seems to work!

Apologies for the poor quality photo's, using the mobile phone rather than getting the camera! Hopefully they're clear enough to illustrate the method.

Thanks again guys for your encouragement and interest in the build.
Attached Thumbnails
MKIV Supply Tank - First recolour and conversion, build thread-track.jpg   MKIV Supply Tank - First recolour and conversion, build thread-1.jpg   MKIV Supply Tank - First recolour and conversion, build thread-2.jpg  

Google Adsense