PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-13-2014, 01:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)

Hi All,

Welcome to my build log of the Orlik Mazur D-350.

I am a complete amateur when it comes to card models, having only done some search lights and the funnel of the GPM 1:200 scale Bismarck which is posted on a ship model site. I wanted to do card models as a break from my 1:64 wood HMB Endeavour and found this site whilst searching for other card options.

After seeing the impressive array of card models being built on here I needed to try my hand at some military vehicles and after seeing Tim Crowe’s excellent and now famous Mazur! I decided that would be my first vehicle build.

I really like the different looking support vehicles as a change from the usual tanks (I also bought the GPM M26 Dragon Wagon because of KCStephens example but the assembly drawings are very vague!)

The kits and laser cut forms were purchased from Orlik’s on-line shop in Poland ( sklep.orlik-models. pl/ )and I was impressed with their service, responding to all my e-mail questions I had.

Don’t expect a fast build as time is very limited to a couple of hours at a weekend and I will fit it in with the Bismarck.

I guess I have picked difficult models (Bismarck, D-350 and Dragon Wagon) to start out card modelling with; my theory is I am more likely to stick with them rather than trying to build simple stuff first which I have no interest or enthusiasm for. Time will tell.

Just too really see my level of commitment (or insanity) I will start the individual track links first. Before spending hours cutting out all the parts I wanted to do a couple of links first to see how they go together and to work out the best assembly method.

They went together not too badly but need to investigate the joining of the 2 links as the ‘hinges didn’t have enough clearance to get the pin through them and ended up trimming off material. Finally got the pin through the ‘hinges but they are still very tight and don’t flex .

Cheers
Slog
Attached Thumbnails
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-1.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-2.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-3.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-4.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-5.jpg  

Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-6.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-25-2014, 12:29 AM

Hi All,

Its been a while since my first post as still slowly cutting out track parts

I felt I better start on some other parts to keep my motivation going so where better than the chassis. After checking the plans and reading the instructions there is a rear hitch cavity to include in the chassis during building so started with that.

Photo 1 – These are the components to make up a box structure which fits behind the rear panel. A couple of parts are required to be glued to 1mm card.

Photo 2 – All cut out and touched up where necessary.

Photo 3 – Started gluing up. I glued the thick rear panel down first, followed by the 2 ends and lastly the top and bottom panels.

Photo 4 – Finished cavity

Photo 5 - Inserted in to rear chassis part 1c.

Photo 6- I purchased the laser cut forms at the same time as the kit and these are a joy to use. They fit together perfectly with no tweeking necessary.

Photo 7 – Main chassis components popped out and a quick sand to remove the tiny knibs.

Photo 8 – Main parts all glued up. I have the front section to do which has me scratching my head a bit. The laser forms match the parts templates in the kit perfectly but the assembly drawing shapes look slightly different from the templates and the LC forms. But I will glue them up as per the parts letters.

Guess its back to track cutting again

Cheers
Slog
Attached Thumbnails
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-1.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-2.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-3.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-4.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-5.jpg  

Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-6.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-7.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-8.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 01:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 326.45 MB
Looking good,
NH78
Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Great to see another build thread on the Mazur. You're off to a great start.

I found this website very helpful:

Walkaround - MAZUR D-350. Modelarstwo pasja historia hobby

It's a good kit, but I did have to walk away from it a few times.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Tim
Old 05-31-2014, 08:50 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments NH78 and Tim. That link to the walk around Tim was very helpful thanks.

A bit more progress;

Photo 1 – That’s all the track links, guide horns, grousers etc cut out ready for the big glue up! Amounts to around 40hrs work just cutting out. Don’t know if that is normal or slow but glad its over.

Photo 2 – Finished the laser cut chassis and added the 2mm x 2mm frame as per the plans. Been procrastinating about starting the chassis skins as a bit scary.

Photo 3 – Decided to work on some other parts whilst I pluck up the courage to skin the chassis. I am guessing by the position of these on the rear of the hull and the massive nut this is the track tensioning adjuster? I enjoyed doing these except there are little nuts which go on the tabs. These part numbers for the nuts are in blue which means additional details if you choose. I chose but couldn't do them, just too damn small.

Photo 4 – Adjusters finished. There is a small bar over the hole which if bent like the diagram does not make sense so just put on straight. My edge painting looked fine when done to each individual piece but once all together is not quite right. Plus I can’t find a decent green to match. I used the recommended colour on the Orlik site but seems to bright. The search continues.

Cheers
Slog
Attached Thumbnails
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-1-track-parts.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-2-chassis.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-3-tensioner.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-4-tensioner-finished.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Looks like you are off to a great start, Slog. I look forward to seeing more.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Good work on the adjusters

Some of the parts are a little on the small side. I buy in laser cut nuts, far less agro.

Tim
Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Making good progress. i fined that water couler pencils are good for matching printed couler

Old 06-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for dropping by Kevin. Your Dragon Wagon is fantastic. I have that sitting in the wings to do at some stage after seeing your example.

Hi Tim, I will probably get some different laser cut nuts in, just that shipping is very high and takes 2 weeks to get to Australia. Good excuse to include some other bits and pieces LOL

Hi RM, I do have some watercolour pencils but haven't had much luck in the past with them. Will try again though to see if I can improve my technique.

Bit the bullet and tried doing a large (for me) skin and put the lower hull one on. Quite pleased with the result. The front cuts and bends were a bit of a head scratcher and a couple of ends not sure what to with them but guessing the front engine compartment will cover this.

Cheers
Slog
Attached Thumbnails
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-1-rear.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-2-front.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-3-underside.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 AM

Hi all,

Its been a while since I have had any time to do any modelling but managed to find a few hours to finish the skins of the chassis.

Not much more to say really. Could do better I feel but not to bad for a first attempt I guess. Still not happy with the edge colouring, I am using Tamiya acrylic which despite being matt looks shiny in the pics and can be problematic putting it on.

Cheers
Slog
Attached Thumbnails
Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-1.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-2.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-3.jpg   Mazur D-350 by Captain Slog (Orlik 1:25)-4.jpg  
Google Adsense