PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
Tracks,Zimmerite and wheels

The most challenging part in scratch building a tank or any tracked vehicle would be the wheels and tracks. I found a way around this by using things which which one would normally not find in a hobby shop. Wheels are made out of buttons with "things" added to them to give them the most realistic look in the scale I work with (1/76) Semi spheres from a bead display make great bosses on the wheels hole punch of various diameters also add to the wheel center. Tracks are either cross stitch material cut to with or elastic band with ribs perpendicular to edge, ie for a Tiger or a T62. As for Zimmerite, I have a pair of pliers dedicated to pressing the pattern on the card before cutting, it is not exactly to scale but gives a decent effect. The louvers on the rear decks are all card on edge! Have a look at my "vocabulary" Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tracks,Zimmerite and wheels-tracks-1.jpg   Tracks,Zimmerite and wheels-kig-tiger-2.jpg   Tracks,Zimmerite and wheels-tiger.jpg   Tracks,Zimmerite and wheels-kettenkrad.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Great tips! Thank you. It never dawned on me to use toothed pliers to impress a zimmerit-like pattern into the paper - brilliant!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.22 MB
Strange things..

Thank you Don, I have developed a perception system which sees ordinary things in my modeling scale! I look at blister packs as potential cockpit canopies or molds for an acrylic casting of a part which could not be reasonably developed using card. Snap fasteners make great German road wheels for mk III and mk IVs my most recent double curved surface will be shown on a T62 model..not exactly kosher card but looks better than any card attempt. Milliput and card profiles was used for the master model. hope to finish it soon.

Tags
1/76 scale, afvs, german, scratch built.