PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Last one for tonight - I'll post the pics of the final two tomorrow...

Mk.I Supply

Once replaced in first-line service by later Marks, many Mark I and II tanks were used either for training or for "special purpose" roles, foremost of which was conversion to Supply Tank. Guns were removed and the embrasures plated in so that stores could be carried.

The vehicle depicted is No717, A59’Alligator’ of A Btn, No 12 Section, 3 Coy, commanded by Lt J A Ehrhardt

I’ve got to say I really enjoyed putting this one together, particularly the loading up with stores and supplies! A careful look at the load will reveal that it will have to be re-packed before move off, as the exhaust is totally enclosed!

Wireless tank is next on the list...
Attached Thumbnails
-supply1.jpg   -supply2.jpg   -supply3.jpg   -supply4.jpg  

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.35 GB
What a great collection not to mention the fantastic builds and a great bit of history. Thanks for sharing and going to all the work to give us the lessons!
Thanks again........Love the models

MIKE
Old 02-05-2016, 02:59 AM

Thanks for the kind words Mike. The more I model these vehicles, the more I want to learn about them!

The Mark I Wireless Tank - many details of this the first real wireless tank are still shrouded in mystery, especially as to how the radio equipment was mounted within the tank and what type of wireless it actually was, how it was used in the field, how many Mark I Female tanks were actually converted to this configuration, and just how and where the tanks were actually used in action - if at all.

It is known that the type of Mark I tank used as a basis for the Mark I Wireless Tank was the Mark I Female, with its armament removed and sponsons partly plated over, with a part of the sponson's side open or openable and presumably with the radio equipment and operator within the sponson (although even this latter fact is not known for certain). A tall aerial mast (15ft) was mounted to the front of the tank's hull with its associated mountings, aerial lines and tensioners.

Claims have been made that a considerable number of these tanks were used in action at Cambrai in 1917, but there is little or no hard evidence of this, eyewitness first-hand testimony suggesting that these tanks were more likely used for training purposes and for trials in pioneering the use of radio equipment in tanks.

It also seems more likely from the same sources that radio-equipped Mark IV tanks were used at Cambrai, and not the elderly and well-used Mark Is. Nevertheless, the Mark I Wireless Tank was very important in being the first real tank to carry radio equipment, and thus it has a special place in the history of armoured fighting vehicles.

The model depicts tank 527, which appears in a photograph as an apparently freshly painted Mark I Wireless Tank displayed at Erin near Neuve Église in France for the benefit of Queen Mary in July 1917.

Again, I really enjoyed putting this unusual tank together and the overall effect, I think, is pretty good.

Looking back over the photos of the other tanks I note a spelling mistake in one of the information plaques – Gazza (as in the footballer), rather than Gaza!!!

One to go – ‘Ole Sal’, which I’ll post a little later.
Attached Thumbnails
-wireless1.jpg   -wireless2.jpg   -wireless3.jpg   -wireless4.jpg  

Old 02-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Well, here's the last one of the bunch so far...

A totally fictional set up - 'Ole Sal', an old Mk.I. which had previously seen work as a training vehicle (the large training number '54' can still be seen on the sides and rear of the tank, over painted with the new name), and has now been relegated to the role of recovery and repair at the tank depot at Wareham.

The sponsons have been removed, whilst a silencer has been fitted to the exhaust. Anything that can be removed has been so - hatches, doors, etc, probably used to keep other vehicles running.

The type of jib was used throughout the war, rather than being a crane, it was used to suspend a block and tackle type arrangement, used for the removal of tank engines and so on.

So...that's it! Six versions of the same tank. I hope you've enjoyed the photo's and the information I have tried to put together.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails
-jib1.jpg   -jib3.jpg   -jib4.jpg   -jib2.jpg  

Old 02-05-2016, 12:46 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Very much enjoyed the models and the background writeups which, imho, add so much more to the model. I wish more folks would provide background to their models.
Google Adsense
Old 02-07-2016, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the comments guys - have spent the weekend working on something a little different...what's got big ears and flies...?

Old 02-07-2016, 04:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Great work on these early tanks Shawn you've done them proud

Old 02-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.91 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndymond View Post
Thanks for the comments guys - have spent the weekend working on something a little different...what's got big ears and flies...?
Dumbo! based on the gun carrier?

Tags
mk.i, tank, build, original, i’ve, model, wayne’s, mother, builds, post, i’d, children, guises, versions, numerous, experimental, internal, vehicles, majority, today, see’s, photos, photo’s, interest, hope