PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 151.02 MB
Wow, talk about your silk purse....
Old 11-25-2016, 08:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And, as it turns out, the theme for the 2017 Army Heritage Days will be . . . TANKS!

Don
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I haven't had anything to report on this model for some time because I was slogging through the building of the individual track links. The originals are a stunning shade of eggplant purple, but I mistakenly laminated them to the wrong thickness and had to start over with scanned duplicates. There were 64 of them, but I didn't end up using them all. Whether this was due to poor fit or poor technique I'm not sure -- I think it was a little of both. Edge painting was such an awful task that I stopped work entirely for about a month and switched to one of my other hobbies (the good news is that in the interim I finished a rather nice hand-knitted lace shawl, which had also had its problems). So over a combination of winter holidays, I finally finished the links and glued them in place today. I had horrible visions of having the spacing come out wrong enough that the last space would only be large enough for half a link. As it turned out, the link spacing as I built it is too far apart, but it was possible to fit a continuous loop on each side (with one more link on one side than the other). But it finally looks like a real tank, and I'm pleased to say it's complete. I do plan to bring it to Army Heritage days in the spring, and to the IPMC in the fall.

Final thoughts: This was Maly Modelarz's 12-1986 offering. I accomplished my goals, which were to build an early Maly model, and to build a tank with individual track links. All the things people have said about the awful paper are true, although as noted above it is waterproof and bird-dropping-proof. But it cracks badly when creased, even when submerged in water for a while. I think it might have done that when new, and age has not improved its disposition. Fit was, um, mostly OK but with occasional printed marking mismatches. I still like the forest green and purple color scheme. And I did manage to complete it in less than a year without abandoning it completely. It's definitely not up to contemporary standards, but I feel good about completing it.
Attached Thumbnails
MM Renault R17-gedc0914.jpg   MM Renault R17-gedc0915.jpg   MM Renault R17-gedc0916.jpg   MM Renault R17-gedc0917.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 01-16-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Congratulations on completion of this project, Anne. I look forward to seeing it on 1 April, at Army Heritage Days, and at Sterling in November.

What's the next challenge?

Don
Old 01-16-2017, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
The next challenge will either be the GPM M4A3 Sherman (catalog no. 188, date 14/2004), or the Halinski S-2 (Wilczur) anti-submarine boat (date 1/97) because, as is well known, I never build ships but SOMEBODY saw fit to give me the kit and, well, it's a Halinski. I did go as far as tracking down some 2 mm Davey board from a local book binder for the boat. OTOH, I've always had a soft spot for Shermans. Our family had a standing joke about Sherman tanks, and it was a long time before I learned the names of any other kinds. Also, there are other build reports on the Sherman so others have blazed the trail. I've been looking over both of them; they're both fine kits and I haven't decided yet.
Google Adsense

Tags
paper, parts, choice, build, evening, r17, mms, wanted, renault, start, project, tracks, purple, kit, instructions, resist, diagrams, usual, assortment, wait, mystifying, pages, delighted, boose, collection