PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
The picture in the drivers cab is just genius, I had a similar picture in my Chieftain in a very similar location. You really are the detail master.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Addressing the question of suspension design in tanks, my ten pence worth as an ex tank soldier who is working on a thesis on tank development.

When you ask about an element of the tank trilogy, you miss a point. I do not mean to lecture you but you need to consider that the level of development has hit a plateaux some time ago with the current breed and nothing will change in isolation. Consider the M-1 Abrams for example with a weight in the 60-70 ton range. It has a torsion bar suspension system where the other heavyweight, the Challenger 2 has a hydrogas system. These are both pretty old systyems with the torsion bar system being the oldest. If you follow restoration of classic tanks on sites like Website :: Home you will be aware that with modern metal combinations the torsion bars themselves can be sigbificantly improved but only up to a point. The hydrogas system is pretty rugged BUT, with overconfident or newly trained drivers there can be higher than normal failure rates, mostly of the front two units where terrain has been approached too keenly.

Without a LOT of money there are unlikely to be any major changes to the chassis or carcass of these and the LeCler or Leopard tanks and if you take a look around at those nations with Russian and ex Soviet equipment, these too. While the Russian military is goiong to get the Armarta as new equipment, there will not be nearly as many as with older systems and the T-90 and others are to be signifiocantly upgraded with real relevence to the future battle field.

Any changes to suspension types is likely to be limited to measures taken to maintain mobility in the light of significant weight gains due to including such items as:-
Increased use of add on armour 'packs'.
Automatic loaders.
130mm and 140mm gun upgrades.
fitment of drone control systems and this is extremely significant as the current doctrine in the US suggests the now loader/operator will be managing these. This will mean no weight saving by reducing the crew to 3 as in the Armarta.
Automatic self defence systems as fitted to the Israeli Merkava for interception of missiles and gun fired munitions.

It is possible that some of this efficiency upgrade can come from partial magnetic damping like that used in certain high end road cars where the viscosity of the hydraulic oil can be adjusted electrically via metal beads incorporated into the hydraulic oil. APart from this tinkering not much will change until the doctrine changes and THAT is the arena of the political monster which has more than enough causes to divert funds into and away from the very unsexy military spending system which will always get the hind it until civilians get properly scared by something and then, far too late.

Automation and drones are a hot topic and will be for a while but they will not make significant inroads into our front line military without human supervision for a LONG time yet, after all, when you take in to consideration all the government self interest groups, the MOST vociferous will always be the LAWYERRS.

Last edited by Mike1158; 03-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I actually started the same project about ten years ago. Produced many scale drawings and got to about the same point as the top of page 4. I had never built a card model before and intended to use as much styrene as possible using card techniques. Made a lot of mistakes in material and construction butt it was coming along. When Dragon Models produced several 1/6 plastic kits including a Pz. II and a Sherman, I stopped - I said, 'If I continue on this, Dragon will release it in plastic as soon as I finish !' I did go on to put a major interior into a Pz.II as well as converting it from an Ausf.A/B to an Ausf. F. Stumbling onto your build now has me re-assessing. I had an idea for working tracks. Can you give me your take on overall measurements of a track link, particularly the thickness ?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to milan paulus
I am sorry. Many English, do not understand.....

Small progress

Hi... Milan
Old 03-25-2017, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Such great work.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 762.7 KB
milan jsem oněměl. Vaše dílo je dokonalé.
dlouhé anglické komentáře hovoří o pozastavení nádrže a budoucím vývoji v nádrži.
Hank McCoy také buduje rozsáhlé tygra. prosí o radu. Rozměry Track odkaz?

milan i'm speechless. your work is perfect.
the long english comments speak about tank suspension and future tank development.
Hank McCoy also builds large scale tiger. he asks for your advice. Track link dimensions?

Stay warm, stay safe, stay indoors and build something!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the translation K193 ! I haven't been on this site much but have had two 'assists' in 24 hours !
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to milan paulus
The dimensions of the tank???

The dashboard and radio... - progress

Milan
Old 03-26-2017, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Milan, you are un-freaking-believable. This is genius class work. I love the little details like the weathering on the instrument panels.
Phil
Old 03-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 762.7 KB
Individuální odkaz track
Attached Thumbnails
PzKw VI Tiger I Russia 1943 - 1 : 6 scale....-2017-03-26-19-49-26-1919884698.jpeg  

Stay warm, stay safe, stay indoors and build something!
Google Adsense