PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Typ 97 chi-ha, 1:25, model hobby

hi, here one off the new model i'm going to work alternatively on :

The light Japanese ww2 tank typ 97 chi-ha, by model hobby in 1:25.

You can get the kit alone for around 11.5€ or the full set at discount price for 28€. Once you add the track the full set is an obvious choose, it includes :

* kit
* lasercut for the frame
* lasercut for the transmission
* lasercut tracks
* additional element
* metal barrel
* metal machingun barrel x3 ( not included in my pictures)
* tow rop (with resin lock)

I forgot to order a set of lock, this will be for a future order....

1) the kit
The book is printed on A4 format.

* Historic and instruction 3 pages in Polish
* Diagram : 4 pages with side views and 3d sketches, the tanks is not complex
* Frame : 2 pages to glue on cardboard or form from copper
* Parts : 9 pages on heavy paper. This include 2 for the tracks (not needed) and mostly 4 for the transmission. Several parts are printed in 2 sides.

Colours are deep and sharp, a little glossy, thin printing (line), no need to wonder if you should cut inside or outside.
The paper feel amazing too. Classic 0.23mm thickness but it's much lighter, it bend more easily. I got several kit (btw thanks piot), all of the same quality, would compare them to halinski...

2) laser cut
That's again some great quality
* first pack include frame for the tank and turret
* second include all part (circle) for the gear and the sector gear, some for the transmission.
* third is some additional element on 0.5mm, grid, machine gun, all bold and even all handle !
* and last the track, that single step to link

See you for more update when I done the hull
bye
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Great model!! I built the first one from Model Hobby some years ago. Very enjoyable build
Hope you have a great time building it
Old 12-28-2016, 12:50 PM

Made some progress on the model, should I have posted daily but, well, so it's a mega update

There's no engine but I decided to cut the engine trap to add more detail anyway, so I painted the internal black . A second enhancement, I cut the front and drive hatch.

Building the body is a mixing of edge gluing and edge, which I really dislike so I usually cut them off and use additional reinforcement when needed.Start by gluing the bottom and side to the frame. There's no much room for adjustment ! First problem, side don't fit exactly to the frame. I decided to fix it as best as possible against the main compartment and to sand paper the remaining cardboard.
Then I glue from the back to the front. This was harder than I thought. Several issue here too. On the back few gap - may be my fault, I may have glued the frame too loose - . On the left side, there is a difference of about 1mm between front corner, side and part 6l. Same on the right with part 5 6r and 8. 8 is also too long.
That not as bad as it look, all is easily fixable.

Bumper. It's a 2 side printed paper, By the way so far this paper is nice to work with. Also a difference of more than 0.5mm in the middle (as to be "sharp" edge); I cut the bumper and painted over.

Finally stated the transmission. Work in progress ! Still have to correct looooots of things !!

Added the trap and lock too. currently working on bolt & rivet, drive sprocket and read idler
Old 01-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Long time since I added updates. Work was done several weeks ago but I wasn't able to post a report sooner...

First job, adding some rivet and bolt. All are included with the lasercut. There's no indication on which one is and online doc I found where unclear so I might have made some mistake here

I work on the drive sprocket and read idle. For the drive sprocket there's lasercut to help, just something I didn't figure out; the kit include 2 sided parts but here not for the inner section I painted it in green.
Still have to add some river, and is just dry fitting.

I made few minor parts too like exhaust pipe...

I enjoy this kit but my resolution for this year is just to start working on all the kits I want to start for a looooong time whenever I want to ! so I making a little break on this one
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM

Looking good I'm working on the Chi-He.
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2017, 08:12 AM

Resuming working on this model

Operation wheels : 200 circles to do (300 without lasercut...), Using cutting compass.
I may have already described my method, anyway here is it.

1) First thing to do is to set the correct diameter. I'm using a strong paper (200g) to make some "tests cut" in order to adjust each compass to the right diameter. You better get several - I'm having 3 - because once you get the right diameter you do not want to reset it !
2) Tape you parts to a strong cardboard, as close as possible. I'm using a 2mm cardboard, surface must be clean for the compass tip. While cutting, keep tapping.
3) Several model include axis, that good but I found it's still better to use the "test cut" and a tip to set the centre. Important don't push to much, just enough for the compass tip to stay in place
4) Not let's cut :
4a) be sure you didn't "miss" the centre ; if so, "abort" ; move to the next one and do it later when you tape the part on a different location (because your "new" axis would be to close of the previous one, there's chance your compass will move while cutting )
4b) when cutting, do not press on the blade - you will tear the paper -, go slowly, once you start, don't remove the blade from the paper. Usually 3 to 5 full turns is enough ; obviously start from the tinier to the larger circle If something go wrong, stop, if possible "relocate" else cut by hand

Ok, it's not "perfect - perfect", several circles will be a little of, some will need a "recut" but I think, with a little practice, the average quality is much better than doing it by hands : Full time, less than 4h (I had lasercut for the 0.5mm)

Last tips : Don't laminate on cardboard, it's will be a disaster (different material + glue), cut paper and cardboard apart (not a problem, you have compass to the right diameter and first cut will set the axis )
For cardboard, not thicker than 0.5mm, for more, laminate several parts !
Tinier the circle, harder to do - extra precaution and do a really slow cutting ; the technique is not suitable for circle lower than 15mm.

Keep in mind it's make perfect circle, it's fast but don't allow any mistake, so practice first !

Ok, several more to build ; Meanwhile I started making some "chain"

That's all for now...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is an excellent step-by-step build description. I hope to build this one some day and will use this thread as a reference.

Don
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Great tips on the wheel cutting DJE.
I have some of my T34 wheel parts cut but your info will help with the batch.

Good to see another tank in production
Old 03-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Hi guys, A quick update.
Still working on the wheel, mostly done, meanwhile I'm doing a little bit of the suspension (that's for next update ) and I decided to do the turret :

just few part missing, (few rivets), the antenna, rear machine gun and top machine gun. Thought I had picture of that machine gun, anyway, no real work from me, there's lasercut and metal barrel

Wheel may take more time because now i think I will add rivet to them !

@Don : This is a geat model. Get yourself the full set, worth the extra money, just don't forget to add a set of lock (not easy available outside model hobby). I have some but not the Japanese type, I will have to adapt them. Kit includes rivet except for the 0.5mm.

@hirondelle
The t34 is a good "subject" for the method - don't forget to practice first ! The first time I tried, I almost destroyed a model -
Don't remember if you mention it, there an extra laser set for the wheel, the rubber part cut on 180g paper, a great addition to the model - an less part to cut - the downside, it's white so you must airbrush them. For the typ97 I'm using the kit part but sometime I just cut on blank and paint, I used this technique on my modelik vbl model

Bye
Old 03-17-2017, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.04 MB
Good job!
Everyting looks so nice!
Google Adsense

Tags
chi-ha, modelhobby, typ 97